Exercise 1: Rewrite the sentences in the passive.
(Viết lại các câu ở thể bị động.)
1. You mustn't use this machine after 5.30 p.m.
=> This machine mustn’t be used after 5.30 pm.
2. You must clean this machine every time you use it.
=> This machine must be cleaned every time it is used.
3. You should keep the flower in a warm sunny place.
=> The flowers should be kept in a warm sunny place.
4. You should pay your bill before you leave the hotel
=> Your bill should be paid before you leave the hotel.
5. You should give us the information now.
=> The information should be given to us now.
6. You can buy toothpaste at the drug store.
=> Toothpaste can be bought at the drugstore.
7. We should warn the children not to speak to strangers.
=> Children should be warned not to speak to strangers.
8. Nobody can solve the mystery.
=> The mystery can't be solved.
9. You can exchange travellers' cheques at most banks.
=> Travellers’ cheques can be exchanged at most banks.
10. You shouldn't tell her the news. It might kill her.
=> The news shouldn't be told to her. She might be killed by it.
Exercise 2: Complete the conversation with the suitable passive form of
the verbs in brackets.
(Điền bài đối thoại với dạng thích hợp của động từ trong ngoặc.)
Naomi: Dr. Kay. I’d like to ask how meals (1) will be prepared in the Space
Station.(2) Is food going to be cooked on board or taken in the form of tablets?
Dr. Kay: Neither. Gourmet meals (3) will be pre-packaged on Earth then they
(4) can be warmed on board.
Naomi: But the tourists will be from different parts of the world. How should
food be chosen to suit everyone’s taste?
Dr. Kay:An international menu (6) has to be offered Food (7) could be
selected from food preference forms that tourists completed before the trip.
And meals (8) ought to be made as pleasant as possible.