MOCK TEST 1
I. Circle the letter A, B, C or D that indicates the best answer to each question. (2.0 pts)
1. He often takes part in social activities ________ he is very busy.
2. I would like to know the reason ________ you did not come to my party yesterday.
3. Some drivers drive too fast. I wish they………. more carefully.
C. are driving
D. have driven
4. “Do you have a camera? “She asked.
A. She wanted to know if I have a camera
B. She wanted to know if I had a camera.
C. She asked me if I have a camera.
D. She asked me whether have I a camera.
6. They have lived here ________ a few years.
7. The teacher ________ that he practice speaking English more.
8. It is important to _______ the wonders of the world so that future generations can see them with their own
9. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the others.
10. She’s finished writing her essay, _______?
A. didn’t she
B. is she
C. isn’t she
D. hasn’t she
11. We can’t go along here because the road ______.
A. been repaired
C. is being repaired
12. Choose the word which has a different stress pattern.
13. ________ do you go to the library? - Twice a week.
A. How far
B. How many
C. How often
D. How much
14. After having a rest, they ________ working.
A. got out
B. went on
C. turned off
D. looked after
15. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the others.
16. A: _____________________________________________________________
B: Oh, my weekend was terrific. Thanks.
a. What did you do on weekend?
b. How was your weekend?
c. Did you have a good weekend?
d. How did you spend your weekend?
II. There is ONE mistake in each sentence. Pick it out and correct it.
Example: Jane is listening for music on the radio.
1. The festival was good held.
2. She spent one hour to do the test.
3. He suggested that she takes a bus to her office.
4. I’d like some informations about the train.
III. Supply the correct form of the word in bold to complete each of the following sentences.
1. She was …………………. dressed.
2. It is …………………………… to call somebody at night.
3. He is doing a ……………………….research in the laboratory.
4. It is very ………………. to take part in the games at the camping trip.
5. …………………, he has lost his passport on the way to the airport.
6. She failed her final test because of her……………………
IV. Complete each sentence with the correct tense of one suitable verb in brackets.
1. We will have a talk with her when she ........................her meeting tomorrow. (finish)
2. Helen …………………….herself on her vacation so far. (enjoy)
3. I ............................... in the garden when my friend came. (work)
4. It’s annoying. My brother ..........................always ....................... something before going to school. (forget)
V. Read the text and do the task as directed.
The great English scientist Isaac Newton, whose theory of gravitation is well-known throughout the world, was
born in the little village Wool Thorpe, not far from his own town of Cambridge, on December 25th, 1642. His
father was a farmer who died when Newton was fourteen years old. His mother, uncle and grandmother took
care of him.
When still young. Newton was more of a mechanic than a scholar: His neighbors thought he would probably
become a well-known clockmaker, because he had already made a clock his neighbors had never heard of
before. It worked by water. Besides the water clock Newton also made a sundial. When he grew older, he
became interested in mathematics and physics. His first physical experiment was carried out in 1658, when he
was 16 years old. On Jane 5th, 1661 Newton entered the University of Cambridge where he studied
mathematics and soon became famous at the age of 21.
When Newton was 22 years old, he began studying the theory of gravitation. In 1669 he was appointed
professor and began giving lectures on mathematics at Cambridge. Isaac Newton died in 1727 at the ace of 85.
1. Newton was not a physics, he was a mathematician.
2. When he was young he was very intelligent.
3. He wasn't very interested in mathematics until he grew older.
4. His first physical experiment was carried out when he was not yet twenty.
5. He entered the University of Cambridge at the age of 21.
6. He became a professor when he was not yet 30.
VI. Read the following text and circle the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct word for each of the
New York – The “Big Apple”
Our arrival in New York was spectacular. It’s skyscrapers and the Statue of Liberty make a
(1)_________sight. New York has a population of over seven million and it is probably the world’s most
famous city. The inhabitants of the “Big Apple” come from many (2) _________countries. There are more
nationalities in New York (3) _________in any other places on the earth. It is also has more tourists than any
other city except London, especially in the summer. (4) _________come from all over the world and have a
wonderful time. There are so many (5) _______________for them to get enthusiastic about – whether it’s some
of the (6) _________museums in the world or the charming little streets of Greenwich Village.
VII. Complete each of the following sentences so that it is closest in meaning to the original sentence.
1. Don’t waste too much water or we will have no fresh water to use in the future.
2. I cannot translate this text into Vietnamese because I do not have a dictionary.
3. “How many languages can you speak, Lan?”
I asked Lan______________________________________________________________________________
4. They have invited her to the party.
MOCK TEST 2
I. Cho dạng đúng của các từ trong ngoặc để hoàn thành các câu sau.
1. Listen! I think someone (knock) ______________ at the door.
2. I played the guitar while he (play) ______________ games on the computer.
3. Would you like (come) __________ to Quan’s birthday party tonight?
4. I (live) _______________ in Thanh Hoa since I was born.
5. My daughter is interested in (read) _________ comics.
6. English widely (use) ______________ in many parts of the world.
7. My teacher told us (not make) ________________ much noise in class.
8. When I came home last night, my father (watch) ________________ television.
II. Chọn một đáp án đúng trong số A, B, C hoặc D để hoàn thành mỗi câu sau.
1. Nobody knows who she is, ______________?
A. isn’t she
B. do they
C. don’t they
D. doesn’t she
2. She doesn’t study hard, ______________ she seldom gets good marks.
B. so that
3. Do you mind __________________ me to take these chairs away?
A. to help
D. to help
4. Nam doesn’t enjoy looking ______ the children.
5. Duy: “Would you like a glass of green tea?
A. No, thanks
B. You’re welcome
C. No, let’s not
D. No, I don’t
III. Chọn một từ đúng trong ngoặc để hoàn thành mỗi câu sau.
1. He had a ______________time on his space trip.
(wonderful / wonderfully)
2. Can you look ________________ the children when I am away?
3. English is fun, so we are______________in learning it.
4. The teacher advised us to do the test
5. The book _________is on the table belongs to my brother.
6. Air________is one of the problems that people have deal to with (polluted / pollution )
7. ________________ you study harder, you will fail your exam.
IV. Đọc và chọn một từ thích hợp đã cho trong khung điền vào mỗi chổ trống để hoàn thành đoạn văn
Some volcanoes are always (1) _________. They are called active volcanoes. Mount Etna in Italy is an
active (2) __________. Some volcanoes have not erupted since prehistoric times. These are (3 _________
extinct volcanoes. Most of the Hawaiian Islands are extinct volcanoes. These volcanoes no longer have a hot
spot under them. They cannot erupt anymore. Some volcanoes have not erupted for a long time, but they could
erupt again. These are called dormant volcanoes.
Scientists try to figure out when volcanoes will erupt. Studying volcanoes is hard and dangerous work.
Scientists drill into volcanoes. They make maps of the inside of the volcanoes. They use satellites to study
volcanoes (4) ___________ space. Scientists have been able to predict a few eruptions. But it is not (5)
_________to tell what a volcano might do.
V. Chọn một đáp án trong số A, B, C hoặc D điền vào mỗi chỗ trống để hoàn thành đoạn văn sau.
It can be shown in facts and figures that cycling is the cheapest, most convenient, and most environmentally
desirable form of transport (1)______ towns, but such cold calculations do not mean much on a frosty winter
morning. The real appeal of cycling is that it is so (2)______. It has none of the difficulties and tensions of other
ways of travelling so you are more cheerful after a ride, even through the rush hour.
The first thing a non-cyclist says to you is: “But isn’t it (3) ______ dangerous?” It would be foolish to deny the
danger of sharing the road with motor vehicles and it must be admitted that there are an alarming (4) ______ of
accidents involving cyclists. However, although police records (5) ______ that the car driver is often to blame,
the answer lies with the cyclist. It is possible to ride in such a way as to reduce risks to a minimum.
1. A. in
2. A. boring
3. A. expectedly
4. A. size
5. A. point
VI. Đọc đoạn văn sau và chọn câu trả lời đúng cho các câu hỏi.
Ted Robinson has been worried all the week. Last Tuesday he received a letter from the local police. In the
letter he was asked to call at the station. Ted wondered why he was wanted by the police, but he went to the
station yesterday, and now he is not worried any more. At the station he was told by a smiling police-man that
his bicycle had been found. Five years ago, the policeman told him, the bicycle was picked up in a small village
four hundred miles away. It’s now being sent to his home by train. Ted was most surprised when he heard the
news. He was amused too, because he never expected the bicycle to be found. It was stolen twenty years ago
when Ted was a boy of fifteen.
1. Ted was worried because_________.
A. he received a letter
B. he went to the police station yesterday
C. the police would catch him
D. he didn’t know why the police wanted him
2. The police who talked to Ted was_________.
3. Why was Ted very surprised when he heard the news?
A. Because his bicycle was stolen 20 years ago.
B. Because his bicycle was found when he was a boy of fifteen.
C. Because he thought he would never find the bicycle.
D. Because the bicycle was sent to him by train.
4. When was Ted’s bicycle found?
A. Last Tuesday
B. Five years ago
C. Twenty years ago
5. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
A. The police asked Ted to go to their station.
C. Ted is no longer anxious now.
B. The policeman told Ted the good news 5 days ago.
D. Ted is 35 years old now.
VII. Viết lại các câu sau bắt đầu bằng từ gợi ý sao cho nghĩa của câu không thay đổi.
1. Ba started learning English in 2003.
Ba has _________________________________________________________________________________
2. “Don’t make so much noise, Peter.” said Carol.
Carol told Peter__________________________________________________________________________
3. Keeping the environment clean is very important.
4. “You should turn off the lights before going out”. Mrs. Hoa said.
Mrs. Hoa suggested_______________________________________________________________________
5. They built this school 58 years ago.
Ò This school______________________________________________________________________________
VIII. Viết lại các câu sau sao cho nghĩa không thay đổi so với ban đầu.
1. “I’m really happy about your improvement in English,” said the teacher.
The teacher told me that ___________________________________________________________________
2. I don’t have enough time to finish this work.
I wish _________________________________________________________________________________
3. Going to the beach in such hot weather is interesting.
4. You shouldn’t eat too much meat.
You’d better _____________________________________________________________________________
5. I cannot remember the man’s name. He phoned me last night.
MOCK TEST 3
I. Choose the best answer from the four options given to complete each sentence.
1. I can’t understand the French visitors. I wish I ________French.
B. will know
D. have known
2. The church ________about 100 years ago.
A. is built
B. was built
C. will be built
D. has been built
3. People in Israel are going to celebrate their festival ________is called Passover.
4. ________I was really tired, I couldn’t sleep.
A. Even though
D. Because of
5. Lan is very tired. ________, she has to finish her assignment before going to bed.
6. I suggest ________some money for poor children.
B. to raise
7. She asked me if I ________a laptop computer the following day.
B. will buy
D. would buy
8. I ________telephone her if I knew her number.
B. have to
C. are produced
D. would be produced
9. Honda motorbikes ________in Viet Nam.
B. will produce
10. We have learnt English________2001.
II. Choose the correct answer from the options below, then complete the following passage.
Today, supermarkets are found in almost every large city in the world. But the first supermarket
(1)_________opened only fifty years ago. It was opened in New York by a man named Michael Cullen. A
supermarket is different (2)___________other types of stores in several ways. In supermarkets, goods are
placed on open shelves. The (3)__________ choose what they want and take them to the checkout counter. This
means that fewer shop assistants are needed than in other stores. The way products are displayed is another
difference between supermarkets and many other types of stores; (4)__________ example, in supermarkets,
there is usually a display of small inexpensive items just in front of the checkout counter: candies, chocolates,
magazines, cheap foods and so on. Most customers (5)__________go to a supermarket buy goods from a
shopping list. They know exactly what they need to buy. They (6)__________ the shopping according to a plan.
1. A. is
B. has been
2. A. in
3. A. customers
4. A. in
5. A. who
6. A. make
D. go out
III. Choose the best answer.
The large movement of earth under the water causes a very large and powerful tsunami. The tsunami
was called the Asian Tsunami in most of the world. It was called the Boxing Day Tsunami in England, Australia,
South Africa and Canada because it happened on the holiday they call Boxing Day. The tsunami caused a lot of
damage to countries such as Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia and Sri Lanka.
Waves as high as 30m killed many people and damaged or destroyed a lot of buildings and other
properties. Over 225,000 people died or were not found after the Tsunami. The wave traveled as far away as
South Africa (8000km) where as many as 8 people died because of high water caused by the wave. Because of
how much damage was caused and the number of people the earthquake affected, over $ 7 billion was donated
to help the survivors and rebuild the areas damaged.
1. Why was the tsunami called the Boxing Day Tsunami in England?
A. Because it happened when people were boxing.
B. Because it happened when people were collecting boxes.
C. Because it happened on Boxing Day.
D. Because it destroyed a lot of boxes.
2. What were some people in South Africa killed by?
B. High water
C. High wind
3. What does the word ‘survivors’ in line 11 mean?
A. houses that aren’t destroyed
B. offices that are being built.
C. people that are dead
D. people that are left alive
4. Which of the following is NOT true?
A. Only in Asia the tsunami was called Asian Tsunami.
B. The tsunami caused a lot of damage to Indonesia.
C. Many people died because of the high waves
D. A lot of money was raised to help people.
IV. Rearrange the following sentences.
1. in primary school/ is still/ Peter is/ and Sam/ the same age as Van, / ./
2. about life/ Since Van arrived, / on a farm/ he has been/ . / learning a lot/
V. Word form
1. If I had the__________________, I would stop working tomorrow. (choose)
2. Beneath his___________ and charming exterior, lurked a mass of insecurities. (confidence)
3. In spring the countryside bursts into _______________. (live)
4. His_____________ appeared in the local paper. (photo)
5. She was a vision of_______________. (love)
6. I need to______________ this skirt. (long)
VI. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one.
1. They have just sold that old house.
=> That old house .................................................................................................................
2. They will build a new mall here.
=> A new mall ......................................................................................................................
3. Unless he takes these pills, he won’t be better.
=> If ......................................................................................................................................
4. Despite working hard, he can’t support his large family.
=> Although ..........................................................................................................................