PHÒNG GD&ĐT VŨ
ĐỀ CHÍNH THỨC
KỲ THI CHỌN LẦN 1
ĐỘI TUYỂN HỌC SINH GIỎI CẤP
TỈNH NĂM HỌC 2012 – 2013
Môn thi: Tiếng Anh (Lớp 9)
09 tháng 01 năm 2013 Thời gian làm bài: 150
Choose one word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the
1. A. cool
1. A. champagne
2. A. meat
3. A. occupation
4. A. mission
II. Choose one word whose stress pattern is different from the others.
III. Choose the best answer to complete the sentences.
10. - “Have a nice weekend!” - “
A. Do you have any plans?
B. I’m going to take it easy.
C. Thanks. You too!
D. Are you going anywhere?
11. Let's go somewhere else. There's noise in this room.
A. too many
B. too much
12. The staff
at weekends so as not to delay the project any further.
B. is working
C. are working
13. - “Is it far to the railway station from here?”
A. Sure, no problem
B. By taxi
C. None at all
it’s pretty far
14. He is the first student
the scholarship this year
A. who win
B. to win
D. whose won
15. Tet is a wonderful opportunity for off new clothes.
16. They have just moved into a huge .
A. house two-storey
B. house of two storey
C. two-storeys house D.
in large quantities in the Middle East, oil became known as black gold because of
the large profit it brought.
B. which was discovered C. Discovered D. That when discovered
18. The farther a star is from us,
it seems to us.
A. the smaller
B. much small
C. the smallest
19. - "Do you like the novel that I gave you last week?”
the novels that I’ve read, I enjoy this one most.
A. All of
B. Of all
C. For all
D. From all
IV. Fill in each blank with a suitable preposition. Write the letter on the space provided.
20. Kim Jong-il died ______a suspected heart attack on 17 December 2011 while
to an area outside Pyongyang.
21. ______the Internet, we can select information __________a wide variety of
22. It's hard work looking
three children all day.
23. We had to call off the office party because
the economic situation.
24. You have to fill
this form, and return it to the manager.
25. For most households living in Hanoi, gas and electricity account ____20% to 30% of
the monthly bill.
26. She left the company because she didn’t get on
27. She walked into the house softly
fear of being recognized
V. Complete the telephone conversation between two friends. What does Jack say to
Andrew? Write the letter (A-H) on the space provided.
Andrew: Oh, sorry. I’m phoning about theI’d like a new one but I don’t think I’m good enough to win.
see it. Is the competition on all afternoon?
skateboarding competition thisI didn’t
Hi, you’re calling early!
Do the winners get CDs like last year?
Andrew: Really? There was some information
our club magazine.
I didn’t know that was today.
I haven’t got one of those.
Andrew: Just from 2.30 till 5 p.m. They giveMaybe,
p.m.we meet in the park at 2.00?
Andrew: The prizes are better this time. The top
prize is a skateboard.
Andrew: You’re much better than you were last year.
Andrew: Great! See you then.
VI. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the words in capital letters.
34. I think, it is not easy for you to apply for that job because you behaved towards
the boss so ______________.
35. The most
earthquake struck the north-east
coast and triggered a massive tsunami in Japan last year.
36. After her excellent
in Vietnam’s got
talent, Phuong Anh, an energetic girl becomes more beloved by
37. I apologize for the mistakes I made this morning. There appears to
have been a
are talking to some people about
protecting the environment.
your seatbelt. The plane is taking off.(FAST)
40. You can never be sure what he is going to do. He is
41. Pop singer Whitney Houston, whose talent was discovered at an
early age, was
at the Beverly Hilton hotel.
42. The fans of Manchester United shouted
when Wayne Rooney scored an important goal for the team.
43. I found the visit most
VII. Give the correct tense or form of the verbs in brackets to complete the following
44. Vladimir Putin (appoint) prime minister in 1999 by the
foundering president, Boris N.Yeltsin and (become) the president of Russia a
45. (Write) the letter, she put it carefully in an envelope and went to
46. The man (sit) next to me was nervous because he (not fly) before.
47. No sooner the president (arrive) than they had an important discussion.
48. I don’t know why you always (talk) in class, boy.
49. Hue is a first year student. By the end of the year, she (learn) English for two years.
50. From the clink of dishes one could tell that supper (prepare)
51. Peter, together with his family members, (visit) Halong Bay twice this year.
VIII. Each of the following sentences contains one error. Underline and correct it.
52. We want to spend our holiday in a villa by the sea and enjoying
53. The new workers will soon be accustomed to work on a night shift.
54. It is essential that every child has the same educational
55. The more frequent you exercise, the greater physical endurance you
56. The letter was sent by special delivery must be very important.
IX. Fill in each numbered space with ONE appropriate word.
Bi Rain to return to
Two famous Korean singers – Bi Rain and Park Hyo Shin – are expected to be in
__________ March 17 to 23, to perform in the meeting between officials of the
__________South Korean Ministries of Defense at the Hanoi Opera House on March 21.
(59) ________will go to Vietnam with a company of 97 officers and soldiers from the
theatrical wing of the Republic of Korea’s (RoK) Army, at the invitation of the Vietnamese
Ministry of National Defense.
The tour is a part of a series of events to (60) ________the 20th anniversary of
Vietnamese-RoK diplomatic ties. (61)________the tour, the troupe will visit the popular
tourist destinations of Hanoi and Halong Bay.
Since joining the army last October, Bi Rain (62)___________nearly disappeared
from the stage.
in 1982, Bi Rain is a highly accomplished dancer, singer and
acting and music career has expanded beyond Asian boundaries. In 2006,
Bi Rain was named by Time magazine as (65) ________of the "100 Most Influential
People Who Shape Our World."
Bi Rain's concert will be (66) __________on March 21 at the Ha Noi Opera House at
1 Trang Tien, Hoan Kiem, Ha Noi.
X. Read the passage below and then choose the correct answer A, B, C or D.
During the (67)
years, many young people can at times be difficult to talk to. They
often seem to dislike being questioned. They may seem (68) to talk about their work at
school. This is a
of this age. Though it can be very hard for parents to understand, it
is part of becoming (70)
of teenagers trying
to be adult while they are still growing up. Young people are usually unwilling to talk if
they believe, that questions are trying to (71)
up on them
Parents should do their (72)
to talk to their son and daughter
about school, work and future plans but should not (73)
them to talk if they
don't want to. Parents should also watch for dangerous signs. Some young people in
trying to be adult may (74) with sex, drugs, alcohol or smoking. Parents need to
watch for any signs of (75) behavior which may be connected with these and help if
67. A. early
68. A. unworried
69. A. development B. appearance
C. circumstance D. achievement
70. A. free
71. A. catch
72. A. well
73. A. push
74. A. experiment
75. A. unacceptable B. unusual
76. A. proper
XI. Read the passage below and then choose the correct answer A, B, C or D.
In Viet Nam, there is great excitement built up well before Tet Nguyen Dan. First,
every family organizes a trip to the cemetery to visit the graves of their ancestor. After that,
to create an air of prosperity, wealth and fun for the first three days of the Lunar New Year,
people are kept busy cooking traditional foods, buying gifts, and making other
preparations. Certain items deemed to be bought or made are banh chung, dried
watermelon seeds, tea, dried sausages, fruit (fresh and candied), ornamental plants and
flowers. Red and yellow flowers are ideal as they make the house more welcoming. On the
New Year's days, only good comments and wishes can be expressed. Children receive their
Ii xi (or red envelopes with lucky money inside). People make a visit to family members,
neighbors, and close friends. And people who live apart from their family try to get
together on these days. Clearly enough, games and various forms of entertainment are
staged and these often last a week. Varying traditional specialties including wrestling,
buffalo fighting, dragon dancing take place in different regions.
77. Before Tet, people usually
A. are very busy with the preparations
B. have great excitement and fun
C. rebuild their ancestral graves
D. spend time on traveling
78. Which of the following, according to the passage, is NOT usually eaten during Tet?
A. candied fruit
D. beef stew
79. Why are red and yellow flowers popular in decorating the house at Tet?
A. Because they are pleasant and cheap. B. Because they make the house look comfortable to
C. Because they represent good luck. D. Because they are attractive and not very
80. On the New Year's days,
A. people are busy cooking traditional foods B. everybody receives their “lucky money”
C. only good comments can be made D. houses are cleaned and decorated with trees and
81. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage?
A. Tet is period of concord and hope.
B. Tet is an occasion for a family to get together.
C. Tet is a good time to visit others. D. Tet is a great season of joy and of
Your answers: 77.
XII. Rewrite the sentences so that it means the same as the first one, beginning with the
82. If someone understands this book, they are more intelligent than I am.
83. It was only when I left home that I realized how much my family meant to me.
84. That restaurant is so dirty that no one wants to eat there.
85. We can’t afford to buy the house.
86. “Why don’t you put a better lock on the door, Harry?” said John.
John suggested ........................................................................................................
87. I am sure he didn’t know that his mother was seriously ill.
88. The value of sterling has fallen considerably in the past weeks.
89. Even though the old woman’s memory was poor, she told interesting stories to the
90. I’m having a lot of trouble now because I lost my passport last week.
91. I wasn't a bit surprised to hear that Ashaha had failed the test.
Use the given word to write the second sentence in such a way that it is as similar
as possible in meaning to the original sentence. Do not change the form of the given
92. I’d like you to find this word in the dictionary.
Will you .................................................................................................. in the
93. "You'd better have a few days at home," the doctor told Tom.
The doctor ............................................................................................ home for a
94. “It’s your fault to make the wall dirty, Hung" said his mother.
Hung’s mother .................................................................................................... the
95. Are the children keen on sports activities?
Do the children enjoy............................................................................................ sports
96. There are a lot of old people who need looking after.
Many old people need someone .....................................................................................
XIV. Use the given suggestions to complete sentences.
97. Thank you / much / invite me / speak / your students.
98. I / be used / get up early / so / not mind / leave / 5 o’clock / morning.
99. Phuong / promise / keep / touch / us / while / she / be / Ho Chi Minh city.
100. Tuan / Nam / who / not come / class / yesterday / explain / teacher now.
101. Not / have / previous / experience / Peter / not stand / chance / job.
PHÒNG GD & ĐT VŨ
HƯỚNG DẪN CHẤM KỲ THI CHỌN
LẦN 1 ĐỘI TUYỂN HỌC SINH GIỎI
CẤP TỈNH NĂM HỌC 2012 - 2013
Môn thi: Tiếng Anh (Lớp
9) Ngày thi: 09 tháng 01
năm 2013 Thời gian làm
bài: 150 phút
QUANG ĐỀ CHÍNH
(Tổng điểm: 20 điểm)
1 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2 điểm)
1 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2 điểm)
2 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2 điểm)
IV. 1 pts: (Mỗi giới từ đúng 0.125 điểm)
21. of - by
22. On - from
1 pts: (Mỗi
câu đúng 0.2
2 pts: (Mỗi
câu đúng 0.2
VII. 2 pts: (Mỗi động từ
chia đúng 0.2 điểm)
44. was appointed –
45. Having written
46. sitting – had not/
47. had the president
arrived / had …..
48. are always talking/ are
49. will have learned/ will
have been learning
50. was being prepared
51. has visited
VIII. 1 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng
0.2 điểm, tìm được
lỗi 0.1, sửa được lỗi
52. enjoying -> ẹnjoy
53. work -> working
54. every child has ->
every child (should)
55. frequent -> frequently
56. was sent -> which was
2 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2
57. from 58. and
64. whose 65. one
2 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2 điểm)
1 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2 điểm)
2 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2 điểm)
82. Anyone who understands this book is more intelligent than I am.
83. Not until I left home did I realize how much my family meant to me.
84. So dirty is that restaurant that no one wants to eat there .
85. The house is too expensive for us to buy.
(Or: The house is so expensive that we can’t afford to buy/ we can’t buy (it)).
86. John suggested (that) Harry (should) put a better lock on the door.
87. He couldn’t possibly have known that his mother was seriously ill.
88. There has been a considerable fall in the value of sterling in the past weeks.
89. Despite her/ the old woman’s poor memory, the old woman/ she told interesting stories
to the children.
90. If I hadn’t lost my passport last week, I wouldn’t be having a lot of trouble now.
91. It came as no surprise to me to hear that Ashaha had failed the test.
1 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2 điểm)
92. Will you look up this word in the dictionary?
93. The doctor advised / told Tom to stay at home for a few days.
The doctor suggested that Tom (should) stay at home for a few days
94. Hung’s mother blamed him for making the wall dirty.
95. Do the children enjoy taking part in sports activities?
96. Many old people need someone to take care of them.
1 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 0.2 điểm)
97. Thank you very much for having invited me to speak to your students.
98. I am used to getting up early so I don’t mind leaving at 5 o’clock in the
morning/ next morning/ tomorrow morning.
99. Phuong promised to keep in touch with us while she was in Ho Chi Minh city.
100. Tam and Nam, who didn’t come to class yesterday, are explaining to the/ their teacher
101. Not having had any previous experience, Peter doesn't stand a chance of getting that
Page 11 of 11
TIẾNG ANH LỚP 9 – BẢNG A (NGHỆ AN 2017-2018)
SECTION B: VOCABULARY & GRAMMAR . Part 1 (15 points). Choose the correct
answer from A, B, C or D to complete each of the following sentences. Write it in ‘Your
1. It says in the program that the show______ at 7:30.
B. has started
C. will start
2. Two students ______ at a bus-stop were kidnapped yesterday.
D. were waiting
3. ______ anything suspicious arise, please phone me immediately.
4. Most American people don’t object ______ them by their first names.
A. that I call
B. that I am called C. for calling
D. to my calling
5. In my opinion, young ______ must be punished, but education is the best cure.
6. A cooperative program between two companies building a famous ancient city into a(n)
______ city has proceeded smoothly since it started in September last year.
A. friendly ecology
B. ecology-friendly C. friendly-ecological
7. Mr. Henry was given a medal in _______ of his service to his country.
8. Jane: “It was really kind of you to give me a lift home.”
A . Oh, don’t mention it. I was coming past your house anyway. B . I’m not pleased.
C. Oh, don’t do that. I was coming past your house anyway. D. As a matter of fact,
you’re pretty nice.
Page 12 of12
9. Choose the best option A, B, C or D to indicate the phrase that is CLOSEST in meaning
to the underlined part in the following sentence.
I knew he was only flattering me because he wanted to borrow some money from me.
A. making me impatient
B. praising me too much C. making me feel worse
10. Choose the best option A, B, C or D to indicate the word OPPOSITE in meaning to the
underlined part in the following sentence.
I think we ought to give him a free hand and let him carry out the scheme as he thinks best
without any interference from us.
11. You need to be more ______ if you want to become a novelist.
12. A person who is concerned only ______ his own interests cannot be a true friend.
13. Patient: “Excuse me! Could you tell me when Dr. Smith has office hours?” Nurse:
A. Yes, I could
B. Not really, but there’s a sign on the door I think
C. By no means
D. When he’s not busy
14. “______ bad weather we are having this summer!”, said the woman.
A. What a
C. How this
15. The reporters thought that the football coach would be depressed by his dismissal, but
he just _____.
A. ran it down B. called it off
C. laughed it off D. turned it down
Part 2 (10 points). There are 10 mistakes in the following passage. Identify the mistakes
and write the corrections in the corresponding numbered boxes. (0) has been done as an
Example: Line (0): the a
0 Stress is often called the 21st century illness, but it has always
1 been with us perhaps with different names. Those days we often
2 consider stress is a necessary evil of modern life. However,
3 not negative and without it we will certainly not enjoy some of
4 highpoints in life just as the anticipation before a date or the
5 tension leading up to an important match. All these situations
6 produce stress, but if you can control it and not the other
7 way round you will feel stimulated, not worn out. Like these
8 situations, which are generally positive but easier to deal with,
9 sitting in a train that is late, being stuck in a traffic jam, working
1 to a tight deadline is much harder to manage and control. Stress
Page 13 of13
1 is now recognized as a medical problem and as a significant
1 factor in causing coronary heart disease, high blooded pressure
1 and high cholesterol count. The fact is that patients are often
3 willing to
1 admit to stress problems because they feel they are a form of
1 society failure and it is important that symptoms should be
5 identified in
1 order to avoid unnecessary sufferings. So why should we be
1 looking out for as danger signals? Some common signs of stress
1 increased tiredness, irritability and the inability to solve certain
SECTION C. READING COMPREHENSION. Part 1 (15 points). Read the passage
below and decide which answer (from A, B, C or D) best fits each gap. Write your
answers in ‘Your answers’ part.
Smoking is harmful to health. This is known to many people worldwide. But men
and women who began to smoke some thirty years ago or so did not have much research on
how smoking can (1)__ the body and threaten health. It was known that smoking could
(2)__ the teeth and fingers, dull the appetite, and be a very expensive (3)__ to maintain. But
people who began to smoke did not know that smoking, (4)__ cigarette smoking, could be
extremely (5)__ _ to their health.
Medical studies have shown that smoking is a great health hazard because of its
effects on the body. These studies show that the (6)_ _ life expectancy of a smoker is three
to four years less than (7)_ of a nonsmoker. The life expectancy of a person who smokes
two or more (8)_ of cigarettes a day may be as much as eight years (9)_ than that of a
nonsmoker. In addition, research has shown that people who smoke are more (10)__ _ to
develop lung cancer and other serious diseases than nonsmokers.
(11)_ warnings that cigarettes are a health hazard, smoking gains (12)__ among
youth. Frequently, young people tend to ignore the warnings about smoking because they
plan to stop in five years or so. “I can always (13) _ before real damage is done” is the
reason they give. But recent experiments prove that damage (14)_ the lungs becomes
measurable almost (15)__ a person starts to smoke.
1. A. afford
2. A. discolor
3. A. custom
4. A. especially
5. A. bitter
6. A. frequent
Page 14 of14
7. A. these
8. A. boxes
9. A. fewer
10. A. possible
11. A. Despite
C. With respect to
D. In case of
12. A. reputation
13. A. dismiss
14. A. for
15. A. as soon as
B. as far as
C. as long as
D. as much as
Part 2 (15 points). You are going to read an article in which four people describe their
best teacher. For questions 1-15, choose from the people (A – D). The people may be
chosen more than once.
Which person had a teacher who…
taught more than one member of the same family?
might have wished their pupils to choose a different career?
was popular with all the pupils?
had to overcome a disadvantage when teaching?
made contact after their pupils left school?
taught in an unusual physical position?
changed their pupils’ behavior?
became their teacher as a result of a personal contact?
developed their pupils’ physical and mental skills?
pointed their pupils in the direction of a successful career?
demonstrated a sense of humor?
decided what to teach by responding to their pupils’ interests?
showed what was necessary instead of talking about it?
was also doing another job?
put an emphasis on what pupils expressed, not the way they expressed it? 15. ______
MY BEST TEACHER
A. Sandy Ross
believe in giving marks for grammar or
Brian Earle, my English teacher was a
punctuation; he implied that the mechanics
very intense man with thick glasses, and
of writing were not important if you had
the fact that he taught a lot of his classes
something to say. When I wrote a short
standing on his head was also seen as
story for him called ‘Army’, he simply
extremely peculiar. He taught me for just
wrote across the bottom: 'You’ve just got
one year and it was probably one of the
to keep on writing.’ Those few words of
most creative years of my life. He didn’t
support had a fantastic effect on me in
Page 15 of15
terms of wanting to write and be involved
in writing. Brian Earle had a love for
teaching and his subject.
B . Rajah Ishtiak
My mother was an editor of Pakistan’s
largest newspaper and she knew and liked
its librarian, Atif Burkhi. Atif was welleducated and when I was about 12, my
mother decided I should learn more about
the region’s history and she chose Atif as
my tutor. It turned out to be an inspiring
move. He would come to our house once a
week to teach me, from the end of school
until supper. He took me through a lot of
history, but after a few lessons I got bored.
‘I know you’re being paid by my parents
to teach me this stuff,’ I said, ‘but there are
other things in the world.’ He burst out
laughing as he so often did and asked:
‘What do you want to talk about then?’
And so we would discuss global issues
and world literature.
Everyone loved Miss Young. She taught
me between the ages of 13 and 17 and
was instrumental in my becoming an
actress. She knew I was interested in
acting, but it just wasn’t an option in my
world. My father was a driving examiner
and I wasn’t exposed to acting as a career.
It was Miss Young who told me about the
National Youth Theatre, which was an
organization I was unaware of. She
suggested I look into it and think about
going there. About ten years after I left
school, when I was with the Royal
Shakespeare Company and playing fairly
high-profile parts, I got a letter from Miss
Young saying she was following my
career with interest, but as far as I know,
she never came to see me perform. She
certainly never came to see me backstage.
Tae Kwon Do is a martial art which has
become popular as a sporting activity in
recent years. I started learning it in the
Ivory Coast in Africa when I was about
13, and later became the country’s first
black belt. My teacher, Park Min Ho, had
been sent by the Tae Kwon Do federation
in Korea to open a club. It was very
successful. When he arrived he didn’t
know a word of French, so he used to
demonstrate rather than explain. At the
time my brother and I started learning Tae
Kwon Do, we were fighting like mad. But
we quickly understood we had to stop
fighting because we realized that fighting
was about self-defense, not aggression.
Tae Kwon Do teaches you to control your
anger and control your body. It is very
good for your memory, co-ordination and
self-discipline. And you are acquiring a
philosophy. Later on, Park opened a
restaurant and then moved back to Korea.
We had a very friendly relationship, but
somehow I feel like I was a
disappointment to him. He thought I had a
future in the sport. But when I was 17, I
decided it was not what I wanted to do.
Page 16 of16
Part 3 (10 points). Read the following passage and choose the best answer to each
Madison Square Garden, a world-famous sporting venue in New York City, has
actually been a series of buildings in varied locations rather than a single building in one
spot. In 1873, P.T. Barnum built Barnum’s Monster Classical and Geological Hippodrome at
the corner of Madison Avenue and 26th Street, across from Madison Square Park. Two years
later, the bandleader Patrick Gilmore bought the property, added statues and fountains, and
renamed it Gilmore’s Gardens. When Cornelius Vanderbilt bought the property in 1879, it
was renamed Madison Square Garden.
A second very lavish Madison Square Garden was built at the same location in 1890,
with a ballroom, a restaurant, a theater, a rooftop garden, and a main arena with seating for
15,000. However, this elaborate Madison Square Garden lasted until 1924 when it was torn
down to make way for a forty-storey skyscraper.
When the second Madison Square Garden had been replaced in its location across
from Madison Square Park, the boxing promoter Tex Rickard raised six million dollars to
build a new Madison Square Garden. This new Madison Square Garden was constructed in a
different location, on 8th Avenue and 50th Street and quite some distance from Madison
Square Park and Madison Avenue. Rickard’s Madison Square Garden served primarily as an
arena for boxing prize fights and circus events until it outgrew its usefulness by the late
A new location was found for a fourth for Madison Square Garden, a top Pennsylvania
Railroad Station, and plans were announced for its construction in 1960. This current edifice,
which includes a huge sports arena, a bowling center, a 5,000-seat amphitheater, and a
twenty-nine-storey office building, does retain the traditional name Madison Square Garden.
However, the name is actually quite a misnomer. The building is not located near Madison
Square, nor does it have the flowery gardens that contributed to the original name.
1. The main point of this passage is that Madison Square Garden ________.
A. has had a varied history in various locations
B. was P.T. Barnum’s major
C. is home to many different sporting events
D. was named after and adjacent
2. Which paragraph discusses the third location of Madison Square Garden?
A. The third paragraph. B. The second paragraph.C. The first paragraph.D. The last
3. According to the passage, Patrick Gilmore did all of the following EXCEPT that he
A. purchased the property at the corner of Madison Avenue and 26th Street
B. made improvements to the property that he bought
C. named the property that he bought Madison Square Garden
D. sold the property to Cornelius Vanderbilt
4. The word “lavish” in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to ________.
5. How long did the second Madison Square garden last?
A. 11 years
B. 34 years
C. 45 years
D. 60 years
6. Which of the following would most likely have taken place at Rickard’s Madison Square
A. A balloon dance B. A theater production C. A basketball game
D. a tiger
7. An “edifice” in paragraph 3 is most likely________.
A. an address
B. an association C. a competition D. a building
8. Monster Classical and Geological Hippodrome was renamed Gilmore’s Gardens in
9. What can be inferred about the current Madison Square Garden?
A. It is on Madison Avenue.
B. It is across from Madison
C. It has incredible gardens.
D. It is above a transportation
10. Which of the following statements is NOT TRUE according to the passage?
A. Madison Square Garden has been rebuilt for the fourth time.
B. Lots of flowers have been planted inside Madison Square Garden.
C. The Madison Square Garden building is far from Madison Square.
Part 4 Fill ONE suitable word into each numbered blank. Write your answers in ‘Your
Neil Armstrong was (1) __ on 5 August 1930, in Ohio, United States. He was (2) __ in
flying from an early age. When he was only eight years old, he (3) __ his first model plane.
When he was ten years old, he got a part-time job mowing grass so that he could have (4) _
money to purchase newer and bigger planes.
When Armstrong was a high school student, he continued to (5) _up different part-time
work. He wanted to earn more money (6) __ was needed to pay for his flying lessons. On his
(7)__ birthday in 1946, Armstrong was (8)__ _ exhilarated on learning that he had gained his
pilot’s license. The (9) _ year, 1947, Armstrong finished high school and went to Purdue
University to study aeronautical engineering. (10)_ _, before he could finish his university
studies, he was called up by the Navy to fight in the Korean War. In 1952, Armstrong
returned to the USA to (11) __ his studies at Purdue. He graduated from the university in
1955 and worked (12) __ a research pilot, testing new aircraft. In 1962, Armstrong was
selected by National Aeronautics and (13) _ Administration (NASA) to be an astronaut. He
and several others had to go (14)_ _an intensive program of training to prepare (15) _ for
America’s first mission to land on the moon. He is still famous for his saying “It’s only a
small step of ours, but it is a giant leap of the human”.
Part 5 (10 points). Choose the most appropriate heading from the list A-H for each part
(1-5) of the article. There are TWO extra headings which you do not need to use. The first
has been done as an example.
Lists of Headings
D. Vary the way you revise
A. Making friends during exams
G. Set yourself
B. Remembering the difficult bits
E. Reward yourself
H. Write down the
C. Keep calm
F. Be organized
HOT TIPS FOR STAYING COOL AT EXAM TIME
0. ___G___It’s always good to know what you’re aiming for so that you know if and when
you get there. By having an aim for each week, or even each day, it will help you check your
progress and show you if you need to change your plans.
1. ___Rather than have to work through masses of notes every time you revise something,
try noting down things you want to remember on a piece of paper. It doesn’t seem much to
learn that way, but it makes sure you don’t miss out anything important. Once you’ve learnt
the main points, rewrite them on another piece of paper without looking at your notes.
2. _____There is nothing worse than being confused about what you need to prepare for your
coming exam. If you have a plan and stick to it, you won’t end up cramming all your
revision into the last few hours! Make a list of your exams and what you need to learn
beforehand, and then drew up a timetable covering all the topics. You can then work out
what you need to do on a weekly basis and when you are going to do it.
3. ___By now you’ll probably have discovered the method of revision which suits you best.
But every now and then it might be helpful to try a different method. You could try working
with a group of friends, or using a different book which covers things from a new angle.
Whatever it is, just try something different occasionally.
4. ___Some things are almost impossible to remember, so you may need to do something
unusual to help you remember. Try writing them down in large letters and bright colors and
sticking them on the fridge, on a mirror or on the bathroom door. Try recording them onto a
cassette player and keep playing it back to yourself - on a personal stereo if you have got
5. ___Not too many people like exams and most of us get nervous before and during exams.
But if you’ve followed your plan and put the effort into revising, then there is no need to
worry or panic. Hopefully these tips will have helped you. Give it your best shot - that’s all
that anyone can expect from you.
SECTION D. WRITING. Part 1 (10 points). Use the word in brackets, complete the
second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one. DO NOT change the
1. The boy was about to cry when he was punished by his mother. (point)
The boy was ____________________ when he was punished by his mother.
2. There aren’t many other books which discuss this problem so well. (discussed). In few
other books __
3. I thought about what had happened all those years before. (mind)
4. I’m sure it wasn’t Mrs. Smith you saw because she’s in Singapore. (been) . It ___because
she’s in Singapore.
5. Andrew is said to be a very good cook. (reputation). Andrew __________a very good
Part 2 (20 points). This is part of a letter you receive from an English-speaking friend,
Tim, who is coming on holiday to your country.
We will be spending a day in your town during our coach tour. Do you think we must meet?
If so, what should we do? As this will be my first visit to your area, I want to give your
parents a present, can you give me a suggestion?
Write your letter (about 80-100 words), suggesting how you will both spend the day together.
DO NOT write any addresses.
Best wishes, Nam
Part 3 (30 points). Your English teacher has asked you to write a story (100-120 words)
for your school story writing competition. Your story MUST begin with the following
It was a contest for secondary students and I knew that was my chance to
SECTION A. LISTENING . Part 1
Part 2 (10 x 2 = 20 points).
Part 3 (10 points).
9. famous people/
10. (a) detective
B: VOCABULARY & GRAMMARPart 1
10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15.
SECTION C. READING COMPREHENSION
12 13 14 15
10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15.
8. really/ very/
SECTION D. WRITING Part 1
1. The boy was on the point ][ of crying when he was punished by his mother.
2. In few other books is this problem ][ discussed so well./ will we see this problem ][ so
3. I cast my mind ][ back to what had happened all those years before.
4. It can’t have ][ been Mrs. Smith you saw because she’s in Singapore.
5. Andrew has a reputation ][ for being a very good cook.
PHÒNG GIÁO DỤC VÀ ĐÀO
ĐỀ CHÍNH THỨC
KỲ THI CHỌN HỌC SINH GIỎI CẤP HUYỆN
NĂM HỌC 2016 – 2017.
Môn thi: Tiếng Anh 9
B. PHONETICS, VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR.
I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the
10. A. education
III. Choose the most suitable word or phrase.
1. My mother _________ to Hue for this summer.
A. is going
B. is going to go
C. will go
2. The coffee __________ by the time I got up this morning.
A. was already made
B. had already been made
C. has already been made
D. would have already made
3. What time _________ tomorrow?
A. will the train leave
B. is the train leaving
C. does the train leave
D. is the train going to leave
4. Please share your fruit and cake __________ others.
5. If it _______ next Sunday, we’ll stay at home.
A. wil rain
D. would rain
6. Jack will miss his bus __________ he leaves now.
7. Zoos don’t want _______ as places where animals are imprisoned.
A. to see
C. being seen
D. to be seen
8. But for your help, we __________ in trouble .
A. will be
C. had been
D. would have
9. The paper has ___________ good news today.
10. Their best player is __________ to leave for Chelsea.
A. on the point
B. looking forward C. planned
11. I don't usually like staying at hotels but last summer we spent a few days at ________
very nice hotel by ______ sea.
A. a / x
B. a / the
C. the / a
D. x / the
12. My father has gone away. He' ll be back ______a week.
13. _________ don ' t visit this part of the town.
A. Most tourists B. Most of tourists
C. The most
D. Many tourist
14. Jack can’t remember _____ the telephone number down.
B. to write
15. You should pay ______________ to what the instructor is saying.
16. I am fed ______________ hanging around here with nothing to do.
A. up on
B. out of
C. up with
17. ___________ my shyness, they refused to give me the job as a receptionist.
B. As for
18. We got our car ___________ yesterday.
B. to wash
C. Instead of
D. Due to
19. I hope I won’t have ________ homework today.
A. too much
B. so much
C. so many
20. May I help you ? - “_________________”
A. I’m sorry, I can’t
B. No problem
C. No, thank
D. too many
D. How can I help
IV. Complete sentences using the correct form of the words.
1. It’s forbidden to destroy ______________ buildings.
Hard work always brings ________
John likes a lot of dishes of Vietnam, __________ Pho Hanoi.
If your luggage is ________, you’ll have to pay an excess charge.
Jackson had another violent ____________ with the referee.
The result was very strange! In fact it was ______________
The advantage of living in the countryside is that the air is ____.
about human cloning
I am tired of your ________
Her letter caused him some ___________
V. Each sentence has ONE mistake, find and correct it.
1. director felt badly about not giving Mary the position that she had looked for
from his company.
2. Only when you grow up you will know the truth.
3. You’d better tell me the reason for he did not turn up.
4. The whole of family should be present during the dinner in which many
different kinds of dishes are served.
5. Mrs. Brown’s children are used to be picked up after school every day.
6. Andrew has been a teacher of English since a very long time
7. I think we should go some sightseeing this afternoon.
8. You are tired although you stayed up too late to watch TV last night.
9. Don't speak English with him; he hardly not know any English.
10. Mary bought her mother a twenty-inches television last week.
VI. Put the correct tense or form of the verbs in the parentheses.
I am going to bed. I (work) __ (1) __ for hours and I’m tired.
We (be) __ (2) __ a few minutes late, so the film (already/start) __ (3) __ when we
(get) __ (4) __ to the cinema.
3. “I’ ll come) to see you tomorrow unless I (keep) __ (5) __ late at the office” –
“Okay. I (wait) __ (6) __ for you around noon”
4. I don’t mind (wait) __ (7) __. I’d rather (be) __ (8) __ too early than too late.
5. It always rains when the windows (clean) __ (9) __.
6. At this time next week, they (sit) __ (10) __ in the train on their way to Paris.
VII. Fill in the blank with one preposition.
1. Nobody helped him to do this work. He managed to do it___ (1) ___ his own.
2. He has a new solution ___ (2) ___ the problem.
3. Do you know any songs ___ (3) ___ the Beatles?
4. His attitude___ (4) ___ his job is very negative.
5. I’m just going out to do some shopping . I’ll be back___ (5) ___ half an hour.
6. Don’t go out___ (6) ___ the rain ___ (7) ___ an umbrella.
7. I spoke___ (8) ___ him ___ (9) ___ my trip ___ (10) ___ Da Nang City.
I. Complete the passage by filling a suitable word into each gap
MUSIC IN OUR LIFE
Music plays an important (1) in our daily lives. It would be impossible for a day to go by
without music. Music serves (2) functions within our society: it is used to entertain, relax,
motivate, persuade, teach, treat diseases, unite, promote patriotism, and so on.
Advertisers are fully aware (3) the role music can play in entering the mind of the consumer.
For example, the (4) effective way to aid the memory of the consumer is to accompany an
advertisement with (5) interesting song. Once the customer likes that song, he might
remember the brand name of the advertised product as well and he will choose that product
while standing in front of a shell full of goods of different brand names.
Music (6) special occasions is essential. At the Olympic sports events, it is interesting to
observe how music is played. Entertainment is an obvious function, but further, music at
such events helps create an exciting atmosphere. The use of national anthems is (7) promote
the fellings of patriotism, thus encouraging athletes to (8) great efforts. Music can also be
used (9) a means of treating patients. It soothes the nerves of patients with mental disorder.
For those with visual impairment, playing music is one (10) to help them open their hearts to
the outside world. Obviously, music has a profound and powerful impact on our lives.
II. Read the passage and choose the best answer to each question from the 4 choices
HOAN KIEM LAKE
Right in the middle of the city of Hanoi, Hoan Kiem Lake, or locally (1) as Bo Ho that
means “The shore of the lake”, is ___ (2) __ the place for morning exercises, leisure and
recreation activities. It is the heart and the beats of the city - thousands of local folks ____
(3) ____ together on the Liberation Day and the photographers snap photos of brides and
grooms __ (4) ___ the wedding season.
The lake has the legend way back in the mid - 15th century ___ (5) ___ Emperor Ly
Thai To (Le Loi) got a magical sword from heaven to fight __ (6) __ the Chinese, the Minh
aggressors, out of Vietnam. After that one day when he was out__ (7)__ in the lake, a giant
golden tortoise suddenly grabbed the sword and __ (8) __ into the water. The lake is also
known as “Ho Hoan Kiem”, the Lake of the Restored Sword, ___(9) __ it is believed the
sword was taken to its original divine owners.
On an islet in the middle of the lake towards its south ___(10) __ the Tortoise Tower or
the Thap Rua on the top of which a red star is often held as an emblem of Hanoi.
A. so as
B. much as
C. more than
D. more or