PRACTICE TEST 1
In the Listening test, you will be asked to demonstrate how well you understand
spoken English. The entire Listening section of the test will last approximately 45
minutes. Directions are given for each of the four parts. There is a separate answer
sheet for marking answers. Do not write your answers in the test book.
Directions: In this part of the test, you will hear four statements about each picture
in your test book. After listening to all four statements, you must select the one
statement that best describes what you see in the picture. Then, find the number of
that question on your answer sheet and mark your answer. The statements will be
spoken only one time, and are not printed in your test book.
Now listen to the four statements.
Statement (B), "The woman is typing on a computer," best describes what you see in
the picture. Therefore, you should choose answer (B).
Directions: You will hear a question or statement and three responses spoken in
English. They will not be printed in your test book and will be spoken only one
time. Select the best response to the question or statement and mark the letter (A),
(B), or (C) on your answer sheet.
You will hear: Where is the meeting room?
You will also hear: (A) To meet the new director
(B) It’s the first room on the right.
(C) Yes, at two o’clock
The best response to the question, “Where is the meeting room?” is choice (B),
“It’s the first room on the right”. So, (B) is the correct answer, you should mark
answer (B) on your answer sheet.
11. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
26. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
12. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
27. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
13. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
28. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
14. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
29. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
15. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
30. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
16. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
31. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
17. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
32. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
18. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
33. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
19. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
34. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
20. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
35. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
21. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
36. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
22. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
37. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
23. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
38. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
24. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
39. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
25. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
40. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
Directions: In this section of the test, you will hear a number of conversations between
two people. You will be asked to answer three questions about what is said in each
conversation. You must select the best response to each question and mark the letter (A),
(B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet. Each conversation will be spoken only one time
and will not be printed in your test book.
41. What is the man doing at the moment?
A. Submitting a proposal
B. Completing some paperwork
C. Resting in the lounge
D. Having a meal in a restaurant
42. What will the woman do?
A. Type up a document
B. Have a cup of coffee
C. Prepare for a presentation
D. Read the newspaper
43. How does the man feel?
44. Why did the company hire a consultant?
A. To manage the payroll
B. To handle legal issues
C. To assist with marketing
D. To help find new clients
45. What is the woman’s problem with the consultant?
A. He charges too much.
B. He is not always available.
C. He has a different working style.
D. He is unfamiliar with the company.
46. What does the man suggest doing?
A. Hiring a different consultant
B. Using the consultant less often
C. Paying the consultant by the hour
D. Offering the consultant a full-time job
47. Why did the woman not fill out a timesheet for previous week?
A. She forgot it was due.
B. She was on a business trip.
C. She did not work many hours.
D. She could not find the correct form.
48. What does the man say about Fran?
A. She needs to know what was done.
B. She told him to talk to the woman.
C. She made a mistake on her timesheet.
D. She will be out of the office for two weeks.
49. What does the man advise the woman to do?
A. Get her supervisor’s approval
B. Do whatever she wants to do with her billing
C. Find a different solution to her problem
D. Submit her timesheet as soon as possible
50. What are the speakers talking about?
A. The dishes
B. The kitchen
C. The furniture
D. The vacation plans
51. What do the speakers have in common?
A. They are from the same town.
B. They work for the same company.
C. They traveled in the same country.
D. They are familiar with the same store.
52. What does the woman plan to do?
A. Buy more ceramics
B. Remodel her house
C. Call the man again
D. Take another trip
53. On which subject is the man writing a report?
A. Sales forecasting
B. Project management
C. Accounting practices
D. Employee satisfaction
54. What does the man ask the woman to do?
A. Help write the report
B. Provide sales figures
C. Talk to him about his project
D. Speak to people in her department
55. What does the man hope his report will lead to?
A. New product ideas
B. A streamlined process
C. An employee newsletter
D. Improved communications
56. Which of the following jobs has the man been doing at night?
A. Driving a taxi
B. Delivering pizza
C. Cleaning offices
D. Making telephone calls
57. Why is the man working a second job?
A. To pay for a new car
B. To invest in a business
C. To raise money for school
D. To pay off a personal debt
58. What does the woman offer the man?
A. A loan
B. A raise
C. A vacation
D. A promotion
59. Why is Rick having a party?
A. To celebrate his birthday
B. To welcome people to his new place
C. To publicize his recent promotion
D. To entertain an important client
60. What will the woman be doing during lunch?
A. Meet with Eric
B. Shop for a gift
C. Attend a party
D. Pick up her car
61. Why did the man use public transportation today?
A. His car is in the auto repair shop.
B. He can't afford the price of gas anymore.
C. His usual ride was not available.
D. He got rid of his car.
62. What will the man do today?
A. Prepare for a presentation
B. Make a speech
C. Look for a job
D. Compete in a race
63. How does the man feel?
64. What does the man say he will do if they get caught in traffic?
A. Take another road
B. Run to the meeting place
C. Call and delay the meeting
D. Have someone else attend the meeting
65. What are they discussing?
A. A new account they won
B. A person they both work with
C. A newly recruited employee
D. A college they both attended
66. Who will the new employee work closest with?
67. How did Henry learn about the company?
A. He read an ad in the paper.
B. He was told about it by someone he knows.
C. He used to work for the company before.
D. He was approached by a job recruiting agency.
68. Where is the conversation taking place?
A. At a movie theater
B. At a hotel front desk
C. In a computer store
D. In a restaurant
69. What seems to be the problem?
A. A mistake has occurred in the bill.
B. The service at the restaurant was slow.
C. The food was delivered to the wrong room.
D. The computer is not working properly.
70. What did the man do in the morning?
A. He met a client.
B. He watched a movie.
C. He stayed in his room.
D. He was taking care of a problem.
Directions: You will hear some talks given by a single speaker. You will be asked to
answer three questions about what the speaker says in each talk. Select the best response
to each question and mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet. The talks
will not be printed in your test book and will be spoken only one time.
71. How long has Bargain City been in business?
A. For 1 year
B. For 5 years
C. For 10 years
D. For 25 years
72. What does Bargain City sell?
A. Sports equipment
B. Home appliances
73. How long will the sale last?
A. Two days
B. Three days
C. Four days
D. Five days
74. What is the situation?
A. A workshop
B. Coffee and tea break
C. A lunch meeting
D. A concert
75. Where will lunch be held at?
A. Room 305
B. The cafeteria
D. The office
76. What time will the workshop start?
A. 8 a.m.
B. 9 a.m.
C. 10 a.m.
D. 12 p.m.
77. What are the problems with the flyers?
A. The flyers are printed on orange paper.
B. The flyers are printed in the wrong font.
C. The flyers are not the correct size.
D. The flyers are printed on blue paper.
78. Who is Sandy Johnson talking to?
A. A print shop
B. Her customers
C. The president of her company
D. A co-worker
79. What does Sandy Johnson probably want?
A. To make flyers on orange paper
B. To get her money back
C. To stop doing business with the company
D. To mail the flyers for her
80. What is Entertainment This Week?
A. A TV show
B. A movie
C. A radio show
D. A newspaper
81. What is Molly Solomon's profession?
A. A businesswoman
B. A reporter
C. An athlete
D. An actress
82. How long has Molly Solomon worked at her job?
A. One year
B. Five years
C. Ten years
D. Fifteen years
83. How many months was the library under construction?
A. 1 month
B. 2 months
C. 3 months
D. 4 months
84. What took place during the construction?
A. Modernization and a new fountain
B. Parking and additional escalators
C. A new writing class with writers and modernization
D. Parking and modernization
85. What can residents use to look around more quickly and easily?
A. The elevator
B. The restroom
C. The closet
86. For whom is this announcement intended?
B. Parents with children
C. Tourists and locals
87. Who is Peter Howarth?
A. The speaker
B. A man who blows up balloons
C. The owner of a business
D. A tourist
88. What is the major feature of these trips?
A. The view
B. The price
C. The safety
D. The length
89. Who is the speaker?
A. A movie star
B. A car dealer
C. An executive
D. A baker
90. Which car is the most fuel-efficient?
A. The SUV hybrid
B. The new hybrid model
C. The new model sedan
D. The new convertible with options
91. What is NOT one of the options included?
B. Power steering
C. Stereo system
D. Central locking
92. Why is someone being sent to the office?
A. To encourage volunteers
B. To publish a company article
C. To take pictures
D. To select models
93. When is the sign-up deadline?
A. Tuesday, 12:00
B. Wednesday, 12:00
C. Wednesday, next week
D. Thursday, next week
94. What is the speaker's wish?
A. That the photographer will show up on time
B. That most of her department will volunteer
C. That the company has the volunteers take a day off
D. That the photographer chose a model
95. What was the speaker's father's job?
A. Computer programmer
C. Tool maker
D. That information is not given.
96. What specialty items will soon be available?
A. Automatic kitchen utensils
B. Sale-priced knives, forks and spoons
C. Engravings from different countries
D. Designs the customer can choose
97. How can the listener find out more about this company?
A. Call the office
B. Go to its web site
C. Ask Len Cusworth
D. Send them a fax
98. What happened to Jordie?
A. He reached the final in a ski tournament.
B. He sustained an injury.
C. He decided to quit his job.
D. He went on vacation.
99. When most likely will the replacement begin work?
B. This week
C. Next week
D. Next month
100. How long is an average workday at the factory?
A. Four hours
B. Six hours
C. Eight hours
D. Ten hours
In the Reading test, you will read a variety of texts and answer several different types
of reading comprehension questions. The entire Reading test will last 75 minutes.
There are three parts, and directions are given for each part. You are encouraged to
answer as many questions as possible within the time allowed.
You must mark your answers on the separate answer sheet. Do not write your answers
in the test book.
Directions: A word or phrase is missing in each of the sentences below. Four answer
choices are given below each sentence. Select the best answer to complete the sentence.
Then mark the letter (A), (B), (C) or (D) on your answer sheet.
101. The newly renovated facilities at Upper Lodge will provide yet another reason to
take ---------- next vacation in Northern Canada.
102. I am calling ---------- behalf of Ms. Phillip to register for the upcoming
Management Conference in New York.
103. At the next ---------- management meeting, Mr. Williams will discuss the hiring of
104. All decisions with regards to advertising campaigns are ---------- made by the
director of the marketing department with very few exceptions.
105. The union is confident that their negotiations for a pay increase will be accepted,
but no -------- decision has been reached.
Customer --------- is one of the most important factors in the hospitality industry.
107. Sales of the 30G storage device were not very satisfactory last month, but are
expected to rise ---------.
108. Despite the bad weather, the outdoor concert was --------- attended by the band's
Please be informed that --------- entry was chosen for the first-place prize this year.
The new city governor is considering --------- the historic palace to its original shape.
111. Overseas sales staff should speak fluent Spanish to communicate --------- with
the local customers.
Today's deposits total $4,800.00, leaving you with a balance -------- $10,665.62.
I called her on at least three occasions, but she -------- got back to me.
We -------- to inform you that your application for credit has been disapproved.
Six months --------, construction was begun on the hospital's new wing.
This is a restricted area; entry by -------- personnel is strictly forbidden.
The 30 extra books were -------- on top of a desk in an unused office.
118. GoodDrink Beverages has been negotiating a purchasing -------- with Fine Foods
Inc. since last week.
119. Unfortunately, I am unable to -------- your invitation to attend this year's
Corporate Awards Banquet due to a prior engagement.
120. We can assist you in choosing the layout for the new showroom, but the final
choice is --------.
121. We have yet to receive the new product brochures from the printers, so it may be
two or three days -------- you receive a copy.
122. Please include your receipt in the -------- addressed envelope and mail it before
May 31st in order to receive the rebate offer.
123. Though he received the fax early Monday morning, Mr. Medina waited until
Friday to ---------.
124. The directors will go --------- the street to the main office to meet the department
125. As economic links between the two regions ---------, the flexibility of the
international banking sector will be tested.
Please send the --------- documents instead of photocopies.
127. To comply with the new environmental regulations, the power plant design will
need to be drastically ---------.
128. The one --------- that sets the company apart is its self-directed team approach to
management of operations.
129. Many specialists believe -------- the housing boom will continue for some time
unless the government intervenes.
130. Westfield Finances believe that -------- member of each team should be allowed to
contribute his or her thoughts freely during brainstorming sessions.
131. A frequent -------- made by our regular clients is that we explain our operating
methods in non-technical language.
132. Our company has always sought the most -------- qualified and skilled practitioners
in the field of management.
133. The staff here at Compudesign are -------- to satisfying the needs of all of our
computer system purchasers.
134. Whether -------- not you have obtained security clearance, please fill in the
logbook clearly and accurately every time you enter this building on weekends.
135. When it comes to writing reports, we encourage you to -------- an emphasis on
clarity and simplicity of language.
136. Mr. Seaborne received special recognition from the President for his years of ----to the government and to the nation.
137. Due to the associate's success in -------- the planning and execution of the
newly- developed software system, he will likely be promoted.
138. I think that the photocopier was broken during shipping because the packaging
that the company used was not --------.
139. The sales director is likely to be replaced this January after a relatively poor ------in the past few years.
140. It is essential that we remain -------- of new products being released by our
competitors in order to overtake them in market share.
Directions: A word or phrase is missing in each of the sentences below. Four answer
choices are given below each of these sentences. Select the best answer to complete the
text. Then, mark the letter (A), (B), (C), or (D) on your answer sheet.
Questions 141 through 143 refer to the following letter.
Mr. Hans Anders
987 Cherry Avenue
Wilson, CA, 34761
Dear Mr. Anders:
Thank you for purchasing from Walcliffe Books. Your order will be shipped immediately.
Barring any delays at the Canada-US border, it should arrive in 7-10 days. However,
should your order fail to arrive -------- that time period, you will be able to track the
141. A. after
location of your order using your transaction number on our website.
At Walcliffe Books, the -------- truly comes first. Therefore if you are not completely
142. A. customizing
satisfied with our service and the products you receive, we promise to deliver your next
purchase -------- free of charge.
143. A. eventually
Thank you for shopping at Walcliffe Books and we hope to serve you again in the future.
Questions 144 - 146 refer to the following memo.
To: All employees
From: Travis N. Freeman, Vice President
Date: June 2
Re: Employee of the Month
On behalf of Pine Mart, I would like to present this month's Employee of the Month
Award to Ms. Carla Mcfall. Ms. Mcfall has been with Pine Mart for almost three years.
She -------- to work with us part-time while she was in high school.
144. A. starts
B. will start
D. is starting
Over the years, she committed herself to excellent customer service. As a result, her
division has received fewer complaints from customers compared to other sections.
Additionally, she got involved in a new customer management system, which led our
company to an industry --------- that it is today.
145. A. leader
In conjunction with the reward, Ms. Mcfall will be offered a --------- to a manager of the
146. A. object
Congratulations to Ms. Mcfall on her performance.
Travis N. Freeman, Vice President