I. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR (3,75 pts)
a. Circle the best option A, B, C or D to complete each of the following sentences.
1. He is my brother. ________ name is Bill.
A. He B. His C. Her D. She
2. It’s raining heavily, come _________ my umbrella.
A. with B. under C. for D. to
3. Don’t worry, your luggage will be looked __________.
A. after B. over C. at D. upon
4. Do you know what __________? - I can’t remember.
A. is his name B. his name is C. was his name D. his name was
5. Your father’s sister is your __________
. A. niece B. cousin C. aunt D. sister
6. He is not __________ in politics.
A. interest B. interests C. interesting D. interested
7. Let’s go somewhere else. There’s _________ noise in this room.
A. too many B. too much C. enough D. too
8. That is the man _________ I think hit me yesterday.
A. who B. whose C. which D. whom
9. Could you tell me who is responsible __________ passports?
A. to check B. checking C. about checking D. for checking
10. The person who _________ in charge of a car is the conductor.
A. is B. are C. was D. were
11. The librarian asked us ___________ so much noise.
A. not to make B. no make C. not making D. don’t make
12. We are always proud ___________ our country.
A. about B. on C. of D. to
13. She put ___________ speaking to him as long as possible.
A. of B. over C. away D. by
14. Would you like ____________ and __________ me next summer?
A. come / visit B. coming / visit C. to come / visit D. coming /visiting
15. We can’t go along here because ___________
. A. the rood is been repaired B. the road is being repaired C. the road is
repairing D. the road is repaired
b. Complete the following sentences with the correct forms of the words in
16. Do you know the man _____________ near the door? (stand)
17-18. My friend’s hobby is ______________ (collect) stamps. He is a
19. Hard work always brings _________________. (succeed)
20. The advantage of living in the countryside is that the air is _____________.
c. Give the correct tense form of the verbs in the brackets to complete the
21. Would you like _____________ (go) for a walk with me?
22. When you ____________ (visit) him, give him my best wishes.
23-24. Nam ______________ (listen) to the music when the phone __________ (ring).
25. Look! The school boys _____________ (play) chess in the classroom.
26. I am going to bed. I (work) _____________ four hours and I am very tired.
27-28. The children were frightened because the lights ____________ (go) out
andthey _____________ (sit) in the dark.29-30. We are going _____________ (have) our
house _____________ (repair) nextmonth.
II. READING (3,125 pts)
a. Fill in each blank with a suitable word to complete the passage.
…Tet or the Lunar New Year holiday is (31) ___________ most important
celebrationfor Vietnamese people. Tet is a festival (32) ____________ occurs in late
January orearly February. It is a time (33) ___________ families to clean and
decorate theirhomes, and enjoy special food such as sticky rice cakes. Family (34)
____________who live apart try to be together at Tet.…Easter is a joyful festival
which is celebrated (35) ___________ many countries. Ithappens at around the same
time as Passover. (36) ____________ Easter Day, youngchildren receive chocolate or
sugar eggs – as long as they are good. In many countries,(37) ____________ crowd
the streets to watch colorful parades.
b. Read the passage and do the following task.
HALLOWEEN IN AMERICA
Halloween was introduced to America by Irish immigrants around the 1840s.
Theholiday was also known by the name Devil’s Night or Hell Night. People
playedmischievous tricks on their neighbors. For instance, they might steal some
of their eggsfrom the hen house.In today’s times it has become more familyoriented with Halloween custom, gameslike “bobbing for apples” or a contest for
the most original costume.To bob for apples: place apples in a large tub filled with
water. With their hands tiedbehind the backs, people try to catch one of these
apples using their teeth. The personcatching the most apples wins the game.
Decide which ones are True (T) or False (F).
38. Irish people introduced Halloween to America._______
39. People knew Halloween by the name Hell Night.________
40. People stole eggs from the hen houses of their neighbors.________
41. Halloween is not considered to be more family-oriented nowadays.________ 42.
People don’t wear anything special for Halloween.________
43. People have an apple to play this game.________
44. In the game “bobbing for apples”, apples are placed in water.________
45. People try to catch apples with their hands.
c. Read this letter from someone who is doing a language course in France. Circle
the best option A, B, C or D.
Dear Mom and Dad,This is just a quick letter to let you know that I'm fine. We're all
working quite hard because the exams are onlya few weeks away, but 'our teacher
says he thinks we'll do well. (My landlady’s not so sure – she keeps telling me
Ishould stop watching so much TV and do a bit more reading.)Anyway, we had a
wonderful time at half term. I went of to Paris for a few days (46) ________ some of
theothers from the school, and we went on a guided
(47)____________ of the city. We saw most of the famous(48)_________ like the
Louvre, where they have an amazing (49) ________of paintings, and the Eifel
Tower. Thenwe went down to the south of France
(50)_________train. It was so fast - the whole (51)________ was only aboutfour hours.
We spent (52) _______ time in Nice and in Cannes as well, and we all really
enjoyed it. On our last daywe went to a small island called the Ile des Pelerins, and
we saw the castle (53)_________ the 'Man in the Iron Mask'.All in all, we had a great
time and the weather was really good as well. The only thing I felt (54)
__________aboutwas that we didn't have enough time to spare to go swimming maybe next time.Anyway, I must go now as I've got to do a lot of (55) ________ for
tomorrow. Will you write soon?Love
,46. A. by B. to C. with D. together
47. A. trip B. visit C. tour D. excursion
48. A. shows B. sights C. views D. looks
49. A. set B. group C. gallery D. collection
50. A. in B. by C. with D. on
51. A. voyage B. travel C. drive D. journey
52. A. little B. a little C. few D. a few
53. A. are used to keeping B. are used to keep C. used to keep D. used to keeping
54. A. sorry B. apologetic C. displeased D. anxious
55. A. homework B. home work C. homeworks D. home works
II. WRITING (3,125 pts)
a. Put these words in the correct order to make meaningful sentences.
56. Hyde Park / a / place / for / good / in / is / fine / weather / camping /.
57. Jane / with / promised / keep / in / has / touch / is / us / to / while / in / she /
58. What / do / of / English / you / learning / find / most / aspect / difficult / ?
59. If / down / in / there / will / you / forests / be / floods / cut / trees / , / big / the /
every year / the / .
60. The / convenient / Internet / a / fast / and / way / to get / update / information /
is / which / is / .
61. Thanks / television / to / , / information / get / and / programs / can / latest /
enjoy / the / inexpensive / way / and /convenient / interesting / people / in / an / .
62. Keep / passport / asked / in case / you / your / are / to / it / at / handy / customs
/ show / .
63. In / going / the / , / we / boating / afternoon / in / river / and / the / had / picnic /
went / on / the / a river / before /home / late / in / evening / the / bank / .
b. There is ONE mistake in each sentence below. Underline and correct it.
64. Stay on bed until you feel better to go to work
.65. Would you mind to go to the local bookstore to get some more new books?
66. My brother and me are members of this club.
67. The movie was so bored that we fell asleep after an hour
.68. Water-colors dry more faster than other paints.
69. It usually makes us 20 minutes to go to school on foot every day.
70. It was only when he got on the bus that he remembered not to lock the front
.71. Preserving natural resources mean reserving them for our culture.
72. I have never hear a more amusing story than this one.
73. They suggested ban the sale of alcohol at football matches.
64. __________________65. __________________66. __________________67.
__________________68. __________________69. __________________70.
__________________71. __________________72. __________________73. __________________
c. Rewrite these sentences using the suggested words in the brackets. Do not
change the words given in any way.
74. My mother is going to give me a new bike. (A new bike)
.75. “Remember to book a table for tomorrow afternoon, Jane” he said. (He
.76. “Shall we go to the nightclub?” Mike said. (Mike suggested)
.77. John is one of my closest friends. I have known him for three years. (whom)
78. Working so much will make you tired. (If)
79. How long have you learnt Japanese? (How long ago)
.80. It has been reported that the chancellor is very satisfied with his visit to Japan.
2006 - 2007
I. Phonetics. (1,0 point)a. Which word has the underlined part pronounced
diferently from theothers?
borrow B. prow C. growth D. low
nature B. natural C. native D. nation
near B. fear C. rear D. pear
loud B. mouth C. southern D. boundary
prohibit B. exhibition C. dishonest D. dishonor
b. Which word has the diferent position of stress from the others?
6. A. education B. compulsory C. intelligent D. technology
7. A. decision B. redundant C. assistant D. management
8. A. theory B. delicious C. generate D. confidence
9. A. faithfully B. sincerely C. completely D. extremely
10. A. vegetable B. interesting C. volleyball D. detective
II. Vocabulary and Grammar. (3,0 points)a. Circle the best one (A, B, C or D)
and write it in the blank to completethe sentence.
11. We locked the door to __________our dog from getting away.
A. prevent B. keep C. block D. stop
12. If we go by the side-roads we can __________ most of the traffic.
A. be away B. avoid C. keep away D. keep distant
13. The child was too tired to walk any further so I had to _________ him
.A. take B. bring C. bear D. carry
14. As the year passed, Joe’s memories of his terrible experience__________
away, and he began to lead a normal life again.
A. faded B. backed C. passed D. got
15. The new code of practice doesn’t _______________ from the old
onealthough there are some important changes.
A. diferent B. difer C. diference D. diferentiate
16. This cheese has gone _____________ . We’ll have to throw it away.
A. contaminated B. decayed C. muddy D. stale
17. The ____________________________his doctor is to get a certificate tosay
that he can still drive a car
.A. time only my father visits B. only time my father visitsC. time my father
only visits D. time my father visit only
18. They were such good friends. I am surprised they ______________ and
nolonger speak to each other
.A. broke out B. shut out C. fell out D. put out
19. Scientists _____________ a carefully controlled experiment on the
A. carried over B. measured out C. carried out D. put up
20. His writing is so bad that I can’t _____________ what he writes.
A. make out B. make of C. make up D. make for
21. Her father died when she was small so she was ____________ by her
.A. brought up B. grown up C. looked over D. taken after
22. Don’t ________________! I haven’t finish explaining yet
.A. hang up B. hold on C. hang on D. call up
23. The two schoolboys were so angry with each other that they had
.a. sit down B. sit up C. stand up D. knock-down
24. There is no time to do anything but ____________ important points
.A. touch B. run C. go D. pick
b. Fill in each gap with a suitable preposition or particle.
25. Helen had great admiration ___________ her history teacher.
26. I was ___________ the impression that you liked Indian food.
27. Your performance this term contrasts very favorably ________ last term’s.
28. You are perfectly capable _________ making your own bed, I would
29. We met at the hotel completely ___________ a coincidence.
30 -31. You should try to cooperate ___________ that organization
32. What is his attitude ___________ the plan?
c. Complete the text with words formed from the words in capitals.
Dear Sir or Madam,I traveled last week on a Transworld Airbus fromLondon
Gatwick to Copenhagen. This was the (33)___________ journey of a holiday in
Denmark, a (34)___________ tour arranged through a company
called“Sunset”. My (35) ___________ was due to leave at8.20 a.m. on Tuesday
25th November, but did not in factleave until 20.30, a delay of more than
eight hours. Thereason given was that vital (36) _________________work had to
be carried out. Although all passengers wasgiven a free meal, no other ofer
of (37) ___________was given. Such long delay is totally (38) ___________and I
feel justified in circumstances in requesting someforms of financial (39)
_________________ . I havewritten to the tour (40) _____________ who
deniedresponsibility and advised me to write to you.I look forward to hearing
from you.Yours faithfully,John Brown
III. Write. (3,6 points)a. Put these words in order to complete the following
.41 -42. If / down / in / there / will / you / forests / be / floods / cut / trees /, /
big / the / every year
43 -44. With / the / civilization / , / ever / fewer / advance / people / live / in /
now / forests / , / but / are / more/ valuable / forests /than.
45-46. I / think / trash / to / of / we / the / should / to / environment / burn /
garbage / protect / reduce / produce/ we / the / amount.
47-48. The / problem / view / computer / important / universe / of / about /
the / is / it / has / and / will / to/man’s / of/ himself / what / and / do / his / all /
place / most / the / done.
49-50. Suddenly / , / a huge / thrown / away / up / , / gas / and steam / was /
dust / the / cloud / fifteen / into /the / of / sky / , / ash / miles / and / fell / on /
farms / rocks / and villages / to / twenty / miles / from / volcano.
b. Circle the incorrect part (A. B, C or D) in the following sentences and then
51-52. Each of the students in the accounting class has to type their own
research paper this semester. A
53 -54. The recent developments in the field of robotics has been extremely
beneficial to those who are
55-56. Reports on the rise in hotel costs come from authority sources in the
57-58. Because the 70 years old building was structurally unsafe and too
expensive to repair, it hadto be demolished.
59-60. The wooden fence surrounded the factory is beginning to deteriorate
c. Rewrite the following sentences using the words in bold, in such a way that
it means the same as the onegiven. Do not alter these words in any way.
61 -62. You can stay with us for a few day. (put)
63 -64. They suspended Jackson for the next two matches. (banned)
65 -66. New drugs are being discovered which are helping the fight against
this disease. (discovery
67 -68. Mary breathed a sigh of relief when she realized that her money
hadn’t been stolen. (relieved)
69 -70. Jane bought the expensive coat without thinking about it first. (spur)
71 -72. Everyone played a part in the football team’s success. (contributed)
73 -74. If a group is so small that it cannot maintain a self-contained unit
within the society, it may beassimilated. (occur)
75 -76. It is highly likely that language conflict will lead to political conflict if
one linguistic group blocks thesocial mobility of another. (likelihood)
IV. Read. (2.4 points)a. Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable
The word jeans comes from a kind of material that was made in Europe. The
material (77)____________ jeans, was named after sailors from Genoa in Italy,
because they (78) _____________ clothesmade from it. In the 18th century jean
cloth was made completely (79) _____________ cotton and workers atthat time
loved (80) _____________ it because the material was very strong and it did
not wear (81)_____________ easily. In the 1960s, many university and college
students wore jeans. (82) _____________made diferent styles of jeans to (83)
_____________ the 1960s’ fashions: embroidered jeans, painted jeansand so
on. In the 1970s more and more people started wearing jeans because they
became (84)_____________ . In the 1980s jeans finally became high fashion
(85) _____________ , when famousdesigners started making their own styles of
jeans, with their own labels (86) _____________ them. Sales ofjeans (87)
_____________ up and up. But in the 1990s the worldwide (88) _____________
situation gotworse, and the sale of jeans stopped growing.
b. Read the text and decide which answer (A, B, C or D) best fits each space.
Interpreting the feelings of other people is not always easy, as we all know
and we (89)_____________ as much on what they seem to be telling us, as on
the (90) _____________ words they say.Facial (91) _____________ and tone of
voice are obvious ways o showing our (92) _____________ tosomething, and it
may well be that we unconsciously (93) _____________ views that we are
trying to hide.The art of being tactful lies in (94) _____________ these signals,
realizing what the other person is trying tosay, and acting so that they are
not embarrassed in any way. For example, we may understand that they
are(95) _____________ reluctant to answer our questions, and so we stop
pressing them. Body movements ingeneral may also (96) _____________
feelings and interviewers often (97) _____________ particularlyattention to the
way a candidate for a job walks into the room and sits down. However, it is
not difficult topresent the right kind of appearance, while what many
employers want to know relates to the candidate’scharacter (98)
_____________ and psychological tests, and the further problem of whether
such tests actuallyproduce (99) _____________ results. For many people, being
asked to take part in such a test would be anobjectionable intrusion into their
private lives. Quite (100) _____________ from this problem, can such
testspredict whether a person is likely to be a conscientious employee or a
89. A. estimate B. rely C. reckon D. trust
90. A. others B. real C. identical D. actua
l91. A. looks B. expression C. image D. manner
92. A. view B. feeling C. notion D. reaction
93. A. express B. declare C. exhibit D. utter
94. A. taking down B. putting across C. picking up D. going over
95. A. at least B. above all C. anyhow D. in fact
96. A. display B. indicate C. simply D. infer
97. A. have B. show C. make D. pay
98. A. quirks B. mannerisms C. traits D. points
99. A. faithful B. regular C. reliable D. predictable
100. A. diferent B. apart C. away D. except
Năm học: 2007 - 2008
I. PHONETICS (1 pt)
a. Which word has the underlined part pronounced diferently from the others?
1. A. baggage B. courage C. damage D. stage
2. A. depended B. needed C. wanted D. striped
3. A. kitchen B. Christmas C. challenge D. exchange
4. A. advertise B. addition C. advantage D. adventure
5. A. thunder B. ethnic C. health D. gather
b. Circle the word whose main stress syllable is diferent from the rest.
6. A. prevention B. agreementC. satisfy D. experience
7. A. camera B. volcano C. establish D. industrial
8. A. elephant B. violent C. agree D. mineral
9. A. exist B. advance C. pagoda D. purpose
10. A. linguistic B. experience C. dormitory D. communicate
II. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR (4pts)
a. Circle the best one A, B, C or D and write it in the blank to complete the
11. One problem for any teacher is that each student has his own _________ needs.
A. separate B. divided C. individual D. distinctive
12. Good theories are important of course, but we must have ____________
evidence to support them. A. empirical B. true C. realistic D. first-class
13. If we hurry, we might get there ___________ to catch the early train.
A. right B. in time C. on time D. before time
14. Joining a newsgroup allows computers users to make ____________ with other
who share a similar interest.
A. fun B. touch C. approach D. contact
15. To get a passport, you must send in your birth ___________ and two photos.
A. certificate B. license C. paper D. card
16. His face looks ___________, but I can’t remember his name
A. similar B. alike C. memorial D. familiar
17. In special ____________, a person who is found guilty of murder may receive no
punishment at all from the court.
A. places B. times C. surroundings D. circumstances
18. She tries to set ____________ an hour a week for practice.
A. about B. down C. aside D. in
19. ___________ stay the night if it’s too difficult to get home.
A. At all costs B. By all means C. In all D. On the whole
20. There’s no ______ to book tickets in advance. There are always plenty of seats.
A. problem B. matter C. need D. demand
21. Robert and his wife ____________ to my house for tea yesterday evening.
A. came round B. came about C. came down D. came away
22. Our house, which __________ by the river, has a beautiful and modern design.
A. is situated B. situates C. situate D. has situated
23. Each of the guests _____________ a bunch of flower.
A. are given B. is given C. were given D. give
24. I regret ___________ you the story. I really didn’t know it would make you
A. tell B. telling C. to tell D. told
25. I was made ___________ had when I was at high school.
A. studying B. studied C. to study D study
26. To everyone’s surprise, Mr. Brown __________ at the Trade Union meeting.
A. turned in B. turned over C. turned up D. turned
round b. Fill in each blank with the correct form of the word in capital letters.
27. Every ___________ in this country has the right to vote.
28.This city has over half a million ___________.
29. Our company helps __________ people to find new jobs.
30. According to the ____________, the French lesson starts at ten.
31. I can’t sit on this chair. It’s really ____________.
32. Harry asked for a ___________ and the cashier gave him one.
33. The conditions in the man’s prison were ____________.
34. They frequently ____________ the traffic as they march through the street.
35. In his family, he is a ____________ child.
36. ____________ are doing the best to make people aware of the danger of all
CITY INHABIT EMPLOY TIME COMFORT RECEIVE HUMAN MOBILE TROUBLE
c. Fill in the gaps with prepositions or particles.
37. Is it possible to insure my bike __________ theft?
38. She was very critical ___________ her friends’ new furniture.
39. I’m afraid I took your coat ___________ mistake.
40. He reluctantly consented ___________ his daughter’s marriage.
41. Government officials are looking ___________ reports that the river is being
polluted by a chemical factory.
42. Jack, you look tired. Are you ___________ the weather?
43. The doctor cured me _____________ my illness.
44. __________ luck, we should be in Japan by 4 p.m.
d. Fill in each blank with the correct tense of the verb in the brackets.
Nick disliked school. Being the class truant, he (45) _____ (not realize) the
importance of education. Then, one day while he (46) _____ (play) truant, he met a
beggar. Curious, the beggar (47) _____ (ask) him why he was not in school.
Knowing the reason, the beggar (49) _____ (warn) Nick that if continued as he was,
he (49) _____ (eventually end) up his life. Plagued by fears, Nick decided to change
for the better. His sudden change (50) _____ (surprise) all his teachers. His
improvement became obvious to all.
45. ______________ 46. _______________ 47. _______________ 48. ______________ 49.
_______________ 50. _______________
III. READING (2 pts)
a. Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable word. … If you decide to take a
space trip, you should have to get ready a few months (51) ______ the flight. You
must be in excellent (52) _____ condition. You should run a lot, swim everyday, and
do aerobics and push-ups. You must get a letter from the (53) ______ that shows
you are in perfect health. Once you get on the trip, you will be in a diferent (54)
_____. You will see pictures (55) ______ the Earth. You may also find your country
and other interesting places. You will be able to see the oceans, the big rivers, and
the tall mountains. You will be able to see (56) _____ many times because you will
(57) _____ the earth 16 times a day! You will also be able to see stars that you
couldn’t see from the earth. When you are in orbit, you will be able to get out of
your seat and walk in the (58) _____. You will be able to walk on the walls or on the
ceiling (59) _____ in a circus. You will not weigh anything! You will (60) _____ totally
free and enjoy the wonderful feeling you have never had before. If you were on
board now, you would experience those marvelous things. So do you think you
will be able to take a space trip? Start to dream now and your dream may come
true some day.
51. ______________ 52. _______________ 53. ______________ 54. _______________
55. ________________ 56. ______________ 57. _______________ 58. ______________
59. _______________ 60. ________________
b. Read the text and circle the best answer A, B, C or D to complete it. Amelia
Earhart, America’s most famous woman pilot, was born into a (61) ______ family in
1897. At the age of 23, she began taking flying lessons in California. In spite of
having a number of crashes, which were fairly common in the (62) _____ days of
aviation, she decided to make flying her career. In 1932 she became the first
woman (63) ______ a solo flight across the Atlantic. She set out on May 20
, and not only did she succeed in arriving safely, but she (64) ______ to do it in
record time as well. She was awarded honours of all kinds. As her fame grew, she
travelled around the country giving lectures and (65) ______ women’s rights. In
1937, she decided to do something that (66) ______ woman had tried before to fly
all the way round the world. She reached Australia, and set (67) ______ on the last
part of her journey across the Pacific on July 2
. A few hours later, she sent a radio message saying she was running short of (68)
_____. Then there was silence. President Roosevelt immediately had the area
searched, but the 9 ships and 66 planes were unable to find any sign of her. Since
her death, there have been many (69) _____ about her: some say that she was
captured by the Japanese, others claim that she lived on a South Pacific island with
a fisherman. However, although many people have tried to work out exactly what
happened, no (70) ______ of her or the plane has ever been found.
61. A. health B. healthful C. wealth D. wealthy
62. A. late B. sunny C. bright D. early
63. A. to make B. was made C. make D. made
64. A. managed B. succeeded C. wanted D. failed
65. A. prohibiting B. promoting C. providing D. promising
66. A. some B. not C. no D. any
67. A. on B. of C. in D. of
68. A. water B. food C. fuel D. money
69. A. claims B. lies C. stories D. objections
70. A. trace B. story C. sign D. sight
IV. WRITING (3 pts)
a. Circle the incorrect part (A, B, C or D) in each of the following sentences and
then correct it. 71-72. The plane delayed for more than one hour because of the
73-74. Will you please pass me the salt shaker and the bowl of the spaghetti?
D 75-76. Last
night we ate fresh fish with corn and rice in dinner.
77-78. I have never seen as many expensive cars than they were in that
___ 79-80. The new brochures describing all our services were delivered to us late
yesterday and were shipped out early
D tomorrow morning.
b. Rewrite these following sentences, keep the same meaning.
81-82. Nobody expected her to lose, but she did. (against)
83-84. You must concentrate on your work more. (apply)
85-86. She will probably be elected. (stands)
87-88. The boss was annoyed because his secretary came to work late (objected)
89-90. The demand for tickets was so great that people queued day and night.
Kỳ thi tuyển sinh vào lớp 10 chuyên THPT
Năm học : 2012 2013
Môn thi: Tiếng anh điều kiện
Thời gian lam bài: 120 phút
I. Vocabulary and Grammar ( 5,5 pts)
a. Circle the best option A, B, C or D to complete each of the following sentences.
1. While doing a test, you should ________silent.
A. make B. keep C. do D. have
2. I ________visit my grandmother in the countryside.
A. some time B. sometimes C. something D. some times
3. Why don't you ________ with your school study?
A. go in B. go at C. go by D. go on
4. Lan asked me not _______ anybody her secret.
A. tell B. telling C. to tell D. told
5. How long ago ______ here?
A. did you come B. you came C. were you coming D. would you come
6. Do you know who _________?
A. did she talk to B. she talked to C. talked to she D. she talked
7. The Internet is a wonderful invention_____________ modern life.
A. to B. at C. of D. on
8. Of the two geologists, one is experienced and ___________.
A. the other are not B. the other is not
C. another is inexperienced D. other lacks experience
9. I am familiar with that product. I don't know______ times I've seen it advertised on TV.
A. how many B. how often C. how D. how much
10. You didn’t watch the football match on TV last night , _______ ?
A. do you B. don’t you C. did you D. didn’t you
11. I'm sure the _________in this book is quite clear to you.
A. explanation B. explain C. explaining D. to explain
12. The doctor suggested her ________ two aspirins per day.
A. to take B. taking C. to be taken D. being taken
13. It is snowing. Would you like to ________on Saturday or Sunday?
A. skiing B. go to ski C. go skiing D. go ski
14. Ao dai _________a traditional dress in our country.
A. be considered B. is considering C. has considered D. is considered
15. The government should do something to help ________.
A. the poors B. the poor ones C. poor D. the poor
16. If energy ______ inexpensive and unlimited, many things in the world would be different.
A. is B. were C. will be D. would be
17. They __________each other for ages.
A. haven't seen B. don't see C. didn't see D. won't see
18. Kate congratulated ________ getting good marks in the entrance exam.
A. me of B. me in C. me on D. me for
19. It seemed like a good plan, but when we carried _________ , it didn’t work.
A. out B. on C. through D. over
20. I thought I would sell my house, but _________ second thoughts I changed my mind, and
_______ the whole I think I was wise.
A. in in B. on on C. on in D. in on
b. Give correct forms of the verbs in the brackets to complete the sentences.
2122. When I ________________(wake up ) last night, it _____________. (rain)
23. I haven’t written any letters home since I ____________ (come) here.
24. If we go on _____________ (waste) water, there will be a shortage of fresh water in
a few decades.
25. I remember _____________ (watch) this film last month.
26. Wait for me. I _______________ (come) in a few minutes.
27. They didn’t let Jason ______________ (take) pictures there.
28. The children were frightened because it ______________ (get) dark.
29. After three years living in London, I am used to ___________ (drive) on the left.
30. Pupils are made _______________ (work) hard at school.
31. Do you feel like __________________ (watch) TV?
3233. It's time you _____________ ( turn ) on the central heating. It _____________
3435. The teacher would rather all of you ___________________(stop) ____________
( make) noise now.
c. Give correct forms of the words in capital letters to complete the sentences.
36. Nam didn’t go to school yesterday because of his _____________. (ILL)
37. The Cotswold area is an excellent place for an ___________ weekend for a longer
38. I don’t like him because he is ________________. (TALK)
39. If you are _________________ with your essay, I suggest that you should rewrite
40. Preserving natural resources is of great _______________. ( IMPORTANT )
41. The waste from this factory is really ____________________. (POISON)
42. He seems to be quite _________________ about the future. He looks very
43. I got some _________________ news this morning. (SURPRISE)
44. Fortunately, the water in the lake near my house is _____.(POLLUTE)
45. There is no ________________ proof that UFOs exist. (SCIENCE)
d. Fill in each gap below with a suitable preposition to complete sentence.
46. Who looks ___________ your baby sister when your mother goes on business?
– My father
47. In my family, lighting accounts ___________ 25 percent of the electricity bill
48. Remember to turn ___________ the taps before you get out of the bathroom.
49. We are going to have a party ___________ Christmas Eve.
5051. I always go to school ___________ foot, but yesterday I went ___________
my father’s car.
52. What are you doing ___________ present?
53. If we go _____ wasting water, there will be a shortage of fresh water in a few decades.
54. I came ___________ my former teacher while doing shopping yesterday.
55. Jackson can help us _________ the decoration for Tet holiday.
II. Reading (2,0 pts):
a. Circle the best option A, B, C or D to fill in the blanks.
It's sometimes said that there is (56) ______ new in the world of fashion. I met
Annabelle yesterday. She was a wellknown (57) ______ during the seventies. When
her children were in their early teens, they enjoyed looking (58) ______ her old photo
albums. They found it hard to believe that she (59) ______ such strange clothes. Did
people really use to think (60) ______ trousers looked good? And those with ugly
platform shoes. (61) ______ , Annabelle noticed to her amusement that seventies
(62) ______ were in fashion again. “I was planning to throw all my old clothes (63)
_____ but my daughter went to a party last week”, she said, “and guess (64) ______
she was wearing that's right, some of my old clothes!”
56. A. anything B. thing C. everything D. nothing
57. A. writer B. model C. architect D. playwright
58. A. at B. up C. on D. after
59. A. was wearing B. used to wear C. has worn D. wears
60. A. be flared B. flare C. flared D. to flare
61. A. Therefore B. Consequently C. Moreover D. However
62. A. styles B. forms C. uniforms D. formats
63. A. out B. in C. away D. aside
64. A. how B. which C. what D. that
b. Read the following information about different pen pals and do the tasks followed:3
A. Mary, 24 years old, comes from Scotland and would
like to find a pen pal who comes from East Europe. She
likes playing the piano and listening to jazz music. She
is interested in history but does not like discussing
B. Kim Lee, 19 years old, comes from Seoul, South Korea. Kim
loves traveling and hopes to visit Great Britain in the future. He
would like a pen pal who is interested in discussing the differences
between life in Europe and life in Asia. He loves listening to pop
music and playing football in his free time.
C. Pietro, 42 years old, comes from Argentina. He is a
businessman and would like to find a pen pal who is
also a businessperson and lives in North America. He is
married with three children and likes using the Internet
in his free time.
D. Helga, 31 years old, comes from Germany and speaks French,
English and Russian. She would like a pen pal who is interested in
exchanging ideas about language learning. She does not like using
computers for learning and believes that language learning can only
happen in a classroom.
E. Jennifer, 18 years old, comes from New Orleans in
the United States. She is interested in discussing the
political differences between East Europe and North
America. She loves riding her horse, Jackie, and
listening to jazz music.
F. Alessandro, 25 years old, comes from Rome. He is interested in
finding a pen pal who speaks different languages and can exchange
ideas on using the computer for learning purposes. He likes playing
tennis and football in his free time.
Which pen pal is the best for these people? Choose ONLY ONE pen pal for each person. Write the
correct letter AF in the blanks
65. Petr Vladovic, 18, comes from Serbia and would like a
pen pal who is interested in discussing the current political
situation in the world. He likes jazz and playing tennis in his
The best pen pal for Petr would be ________
66. Tom Synder, 36, is a businessman from Toronto,
Canada. He would like to find a pen pal from a different
continent to discuss business practices and differences
between his country and others.
The best pen pal for Tom would be ________
67. Olga, 32, comes from Moscow, Russia. She is a historian
and would like to find a pen pal who is interested in
discussing the history of Russia before the communist
regime. She is not interested in comparing different political
The best pen pal for Olga would be __________
68. Jack, 27, is from London. His favourite pastime is
learning languages. He goes to evening German and French
classes and uses his computer to improve his German and
French by visiting Internet sites.
The best pen pal for Jack would be __________
69. Stuart, 22, is from Dublin. He loves travelling and wants
to visit Asia in the near future and would like a pen pal who
likes playing football and who can tell him about the
differences between life in Asia and Ireland.
The best pen pal for Stuart would be ________
70. Elisabeth, 35, comes from Sydney, Australia. She likes
learning languages, but does not like using modern
technology. She is interested in finding a pen pal who also
enjoys learning languages in a traditional manner.
The best pen pal for Elisabeth would be ________
b. Read this passage carefully and then circle the best answer to each question:
Computer programmer David Jones earns £35.000 a year designing new computer games, yet he
cannot find a bank prepared to let him have a cheque card. Instead, he has been told to wait another
two years, until he is 18. The 16 year old works for a small firm in Liverpool, where the problem of
most young people of his age is finding a job. David's firm releases two new games for the
expanding home computer market each month. But David's biggest headache is what to do with his
money. Despite his salary, earned by inventing new programs within tight schedules, with bonus
payments and profitsharing, he cannot drive a car, take out a montage, or obtain credit
cards. He lives with his parents in their council house in Liverpool, where his father is a bus driver.
His company has to pay £150 a month in taxi fares to get him the five miles to work and back every
day because David cannot drive.
David got his job with the Liverpool based company four months ago, a year after leaving school
with six Olevels and working for a time in a computer shop. "I got the job because the people who
ran the firm knew I had already written some programmes", he said. "I suppose £ 35,000 sounds a
lot but actually that's being pessimistic. I hope it will come to more than that this year". He spends
some of his money on records and clothes, and gives his mother £20 a week. But, most of his spare
time is spent working. "Unfortunately, computing
was not part of our studies at school", he said. “But I had been studying it in books and magazines
for four years in my spare time; I knew what I wanted to do and never considered staying on at
school. Most people in this business are fairly young, anyway”. David added: "I
would like to earn a million and I suppose early retirement is a possibility. You never know when the
market might disappear".
71. David Jones is ________________________.
A. a computer shop assistant B. a computer producer
C. a computer programmer D. an Olevel student
72. David's greatest problem is ________________.
A. earning more than £35,000 a year
B. inventing computer games
C. spending the money he earns
D. learning to drive
73. He was employed by the company because_______.
A. he had worked efficiently in a computer shop
B. he had written some computer programs
C. he worked very hard
D. he had learnt to use computers at school
74. He left school after taking Olevels because ________.
A. he did not enjoy school
B. he wanted to work with computers and staying at school
did not help him
C. he was afraid of getting too old to start computing
D. he wanted to earn a lot of money
75. Why does David think he might retire early? _____.
A. He has to be young to write computer programs
B. He wants to stop working when he is a millionaire
C. He thinks computer games might not always sell so well
D. He thinks his firm might go bankrupt4
III. Writing ( 2,5 pts)
a. Circle the best option A, B, C or D to complete the sentences.
76. The doctor advised him _________________________.
A. for taking more exercise to lose weight
B. to him that he should do more exercise to lose weight
C. doing more exercises to lose weight
D. to take more exercise if he wanted to lose his weight
77. James _______________________________________.
A. had to speak to his lawyer, he signed the contract.
B. spoke to his lawyer before being signed the contract.
C. will not sign the contract until he has spoken to his lawyer.
D. doesn’t sign the contract till he spoke to his lawyer.
78. All the switches _______________________________.
A. must be turned off before we leave the workshop
B. is to be turned off before we leave the workshop
C. have be turned off before we leave the workshop
D. should be turned off before leaving the workshop
79. “I will do the shopping today” said Ba.
Ba said that _________________________________.
A. he would do the shopping that day
B. he will do the shopping today
C. he would do the shopping today
D. he will do the shopping that day
80."Do you review your lessons in the evening?" Miss Anderson asked Tim.
Miss Anderson wanted to know ______________________.
A. if Tim reviews his lessons in the evening
B. if Tim reviewed his lessons in the evening
C. Tim reviewed his lessons in the evening or not
D. Tim reviews his lessons in the evening or not
b. Circle the incorrect parts in the following sentences A, B, C or D and correct them.
81. WE (A) are looking (B) forward to hear (C) from you. (D)
82. We studied (A) very hard (B) for the lesson, because (C) we passed the exam very easily. (D)
83. Nancy asked me (A) when (B) my school (C) vacation start. (D)
84. Jane wishes (A) you can help (B) her solve (C) this financial problem. (D)
85. There were (A) so much (B) people trying (C) to recognize each other (D) at the anniversary.
c. Arrange the words and phrases given in order to make meaningful sentences.
86. We/ the/ home/ at about/ left/ 9.15 am/ go/ to/ station/ to/. /
87. The train/ at/ Victoria/ just/ arrived/ before/ 10.45 am/ and then/ station/,/ we/ a bus/ to/ the/
caught /London Eye/. /
88. When/ at/ the/ London Eye/ we/ only/ ,/ we/ had to/ arrived /queue/ for/ about/ ten minutes/. /
89. I /scared/ was/ about/going/ ,/ on/ the cabin/ really/ but/ I /went on/ still/. /
90. It/ really/,/ and/ was/ love/ I /would/ to/ go on/ nice/ it /again/. /
91. The wheel/ very/ slowly/ and/ it/ took/ ,/ about/ turned/ half an hour/ to go/ right/round/. /
92. When/ we/ the cabin/ we/ went on/,/ came off /a/ river trip/ the Embankment/ from/. /
93. We/ see/ Big Ben/boat/ and/from/ Houses of Parliament/ the/ could/the/ . /
94. The weather/ lovely and hot/ was/ we/ a picnic/ in/ so/ had/ the park /. /
95. We/ a bus/ back/ to/ Victoria station/ caught/ and/ arrived/ back/ in/ Crawley/ about/ 8.00 pm/. /
96. I/ felt/ it/ a long day/ walking/ but/ ,/ was/ I/ really/it/ enjoyed/. /
d. Rewrite each of the following sentences in such a way that it means the same as the sentence
printed before it.Do not alter the given words in any way.
97. I don’t know the girl’s name. She helped me yesterday. (who)
98. He looks really like his father in many ways. (takes)
99. Nobody has used these rooms for a long time. (been)
100. “Could you please ring back in half an hour?” the receptionist said. (required)