Chuyên đề 9: REPORTED/INDIRECTED SPEECH( CÂU TRẦN THUẬT)
*Lưu ý: Câu tường thuật phải đổi đủ 3 yếu tố: Ngôi, Hạ thì, Phó từ chỉ thời gian và luôn luôn ở trật tự
Đổi ngôi: ‘Tôi nói, bạn nghe.’đổi: I, me, my, you, your
Nếu trong dấu ngoặc kép có “I ,me, my: tôi” → người nói
“ You, your: bạn”→người nghe
- Hỏi người nói người nghe là ai để biết giới tính mà đổi tương ứng thì nhìn ngoài ngoặc kép:
A(nói) said to B(nghe), “..”
“…”, said A(nói).
Nếu trong dấu ngoặc kép mà có “We” → they; “us” → them; “our” → their;
You Them Him
-you đứng trước V thì you là chủ ngữ(S)
Sau her có + danh từ(N) thì her là TTSH vd:
-You đứng sau giới từ/động từ(V) thì you là I like her friend (TTSH)
Sau her mà không có danh từ là O vd: I like
Đổi thì (thì đứng sau chủ ngữ S: S + V (thì)
Vđb : chỉ cần hạ Vđb là xong:
Vđb: is/am/are→ was(I, he,she,it)/were( we,you,they);
Will → would
Can → could
Shall → should
May → might
Must → had to, must
Have/has → had
Was/were → had been
Ought to → ought to
b. V thường (HT(Vs/es/bare) → QK(V2/ed) → QKHT(had+ v3/ed))
HTĐ→QKĐ: (HT hạ thành QKĐ)
QKĐ: →QKHT( QKĐ hạ thành QKHT: had
PĐ: didn’t + Vbare
NV: Do/Does + S + Vbare?
NV: Did +S + Vbare ?
S + V2/ed.(Nhớ bỏ do/does)
S + had+ V3/ed.(Nhớ bỏ did)
3. Đổi phó từ chỉ thời gian, nơi chốn
tường thuật/gián tiếp
The day before
The previous day
Last + thời gian
The+ thời gian+ before Last week " the week before
The previous + thời
" the previous week
The day after
The following day
The next + t/g
Next month " the month after
The t/g + after
" the next month
The following +t/g
" the following month
4. Các dạng câu tường thuật:
Dạng 1: Câu mệnh lệnh: (Dấu hiệu:là câu ko có S mà bắt đầu là Vbare (KĐ:) hoặc Don’t + vbare
(PĐ) ở đầu câu)
CT: S( người nói) + told + O(người nghe)+ to-inf (KĐ:)
+ not to-inf ( PĐ)
Chú ý: - said/said to phải đổi thành told
- Nhớ bỏ ‘please’ đi
- Nếu thấy ‘don’t forget’ thì đổi thành → reminded S.O to do S.T
+B1: Tìm O người nghe đặt sau told
+B2: Bỏ dấu phẩy (,) và ngoặc kép (“)
+B3: Nếu là mệnh lệnh KĐ:, thì đổi thành to-inf
Nếu là mệnh lệnh PĐ, thì đổi thành not to-inf
+B4: Còn gì chép nốt nhưng nếu gặp ngôi(I, me, my, you, your), gặp thì( sau S), gặp phó từ thời gian nơi
chốn thì vẫn phải đổi. nhớ bỏ please đi
Vd: He said to her:’ Keep silent, please’
→ He told her to keep silent.
‘Please don’t do that again,’ the father said to his son.
→ The father told his son not to do that again.
‘Don’t forget to phone me this afternoon.’ He said
→ He reminded me to phone him that afternoon.
Dạng 2: Câu trần thuật: (Dấu hiệu: có đủ S và V( là câu KĐ hay PĐ)
CT: S(người nói) + told +O(người nghe) +(that)+ S+V+O.
( đổi 3 yếu tố: ngôi, thì, phó từ)
S(người nói) + said +(that)+ S+V+O.
+B1: said vẫn giữ nguyên : said → said
Nhưng said to phải đổi thành told: said to → told
+B2: Còn gì chép nốt nhưng nếu gặp ngôi(I, me, my, you, your), gặp thì( sau S), gặp phó từ thời gian nơi
chốn thì vẫn phải đổi
Vd: They said,’ We’ve lived here for a long time.’
→ They said they had lived there for a long time.
Dạng 3: Câu hỏi: khi tường thuật luôn luôn ở dạng KĐ(S+V).
a. Câu hỏi Wh- ( Dấu hiệu: có từ để hỏi Wh- ở đầu câu)
CT: S(người nói) + asked + O(người nghe) + wh- + S+V+O.
b. Câu hỏi Yes/ No( ko có từ hỏi WH):
CT: S(người nói) + asked + O(người nghe) + if/whether + S+V+O.
+B1: Xác định đó là câu hỏi Wh- hay Yes/No
+B2: said/said to đổi thành asked : said/said to → asked/wondered/wanted to know
+B3: Bỏ dấu phẩy và ngoặc kép.
+B4: Nếu là câu hỏi Wh- thì chép lại từ hỏi wh- trong câu tường thuật
Nếu là câu hỏi Yes/No thì mượn if/whether
+B5:Đổi trật tự câu hỏi(V+S?) về trật tự KĐ:(S+V.) rồi đổi 3 yếu tố bình thường. nhớ đổi dấu chấm
hỏi(?)" thành dấu chấm(.)
• Cách đổi trật tự câu hỏi về trật tự KĐ::
Vđb + S +O ?
Do/Does + S + Vbare?
Did +S + Vbare ?
S + Vđb + O.
S + V2/ed.(Nhớ bỏ
S + had+ V3/ed.(Nhớ bỏ
Nhớ cặp đôi: whether ……or not
* Các trường hợp đặc biệt:
1. ‘Thank/thank you/ it’s very kind/nice of you to/thanks for your kindness…….’
→ S (nói) thanked O(nghe) for doing S.T (cảm ơn ai)
(còn gì chép nốt nhưng nếu gặp 3 yếu tố thì vẫn phải đổi)
2. ‘I’m sorry….’
→ S (nói) apologised to O(nghe) for doing ST (xin lỗi ai)
3. ‘Congratulations. I’m happy/glad to know/hear that you……..’
→ S (nói) congratulated O(nghe) on doing ST.(chúc mừng ai)
4. ‘I want to/ would like to/ I wish to + V’
→ S (nói) dreamed of doing ST ( ước mơ)
5. “ I don’t want to”: tôi ko muốn
" S nói + avoided+ doing S.T: tránh
6. ‘No. It’s not me/it’s not my fault/ I didn’t do that…’
→ S (nói) denied doing ST (Nhớ bỏ not) (phủ nhận)
7 .S (nói) accused O(nghe) of (not) doing ST ( buộc tội ai) khi có chữ copy/steal(ăn cắp)/cheat(gian lận)
thì hay dùng nó
8. ‘I’ll/ I insist/let me/ I really want/I must …..’
→ S (nói) insisted on doing ST (khăng khăng)
9. ‘stay here/ I can’t let you/ you mustn’t….’
→ S (nói) prevented/stopped O(nghe) from doing ST ( ngăn cản ai)
10. ‘Don’t +Vbare…’
→ S (nói) warned O(nghe) against doing ST (nhớ bỏ don’t) (cảnh cáo ai)
→ S (nói) warned O(nghe) not to do ST
→ S (nói) told O(nghe) not to do ST
11. “don’t forget to-inf/remember to” đừng quên
C1:→ S nói+ reminded+ O nghe+ to-inf: nhắc nhở( nhớ bỏ don’t forget)
Hoặc : S nói+ reminded+ O nghe+ of doing S.T( nhớ bỏ don’t forget)
C2:→ S nói + told + O nghe + not to forget
→ S nói + admitted (to)+ V-ing: thừa nhận
13. “it was your fault”:đó là lỗi của bạn
"S nói + blamed + O nghe for doing s.T: đỗ lỗi cho ai
14. ‘I don’t like/ I dislike ….’
→ S (nói) objected to doing ST (chống đối)
15. ‘Why don’t you/ how about/ what about/ / shall we/ it’s a good idea to……’
→ S (nói) suggested (not) doing ST (đề nghị ai)
→ S (nói) suggested that S(nghe) should+Vbare/ Vbare
16.‘Why don’t you?”
→ S (nói) suggested (not) doing ST (đề nghị ai)
→ S (nói) suggested that S(nghe) should+Vbare/ Vbare
" S nói advised S.O to do S.T(khuyên ai)
17 . “ If I were you…../ you should/had better/ ought to / If I were in your position/shoes /.”
→ S (nói) advised O(nghe) to do ST
18. ‘You are always + V-ing …….’
→ S (nói) complained about doing ST: phàn nàn
19. “Let’s + Vbare”
→ S nói + suggested+ V-ing
20. “Let’s not + Vbare”
→S nói + suggested not + V-ing
→ S+ agreed to do ST : đồng ý
→ S+ promised+ to do ST: hứa
→S+ offered + to do ST: đề nghị
22. ’ would you like to’
→ S+ invited SO to do ST: mời
23. ‘ can you/ will you/ could you/ do you mind if S+ VHTĐ/ would you mind if+ S+ v2/ed”
→ S nói + asked SO to do ST (yêu cầu ai)
24. “ I would like to”
→ S nói+ wanted + to do ST ( muốn)
25. “ I spent a lot of time”
" s nói + concentrated on doing s.T: tập trung
26. “Vbare or I’ll”
" s nói + threatened to do S.T(B) if A didn’t + V bare : đe dọa ai.. nếu A ko
27. S nói+ looked forward to + V-ing: mong đợi
28. S nói + criticized S.O for doing S.T: chỉ trích ai
29. “ trust me”
" S nói + persuaded S.O to do S.T: thuyết phục ai
30. ordered S.O to do S.T: ra lệnh cho ai
31. Begged S.O to do S.T: năn nỉ ai
32.Encouraged S.O to do S.T: khuyến khích ai
33.introduced S.O to S.O: giới thiệu ai với ai
34.threatened to do : đe dọa
35. “Vbare or you’ll”
" S nói + advised S.O to do(A) …to do S.T(B): khuyên ai
Dạng 4: gián tiếp của câu điều kiện
- Cấu trúc chung: S + said that+ mệnh đề if, mệnh đề chính.
S + told + O(nghe) (that) mệnh đề if, mệnh đề chính.
Nhớ nếu sau said ko có O thì said được giữ nguyên
Nếu sau said to có O thì đổi said to thành told
-Đk 1 (có will(‘ll)/can) thì vẫn đổi ngôi( I,me,my,you,your), đổi thì( sau S) , phó từ như bình thường
“if + S + V(s,es/bare /is/am/are /don’t/doesn’t), S + Will(‘ll)/Can/shall/may……+
→S( nói) said that If +S +V2/ed/
didn’t ……., S+
→S( nói) + told + O(nghe) that If +S +V2/ed/were/didn’t ……., S+ would/could/should/might
Vd: Jim said, ‘If I catch the bus, I’ll be home by six.’
= Jim said that if he caught the bus, he would be home by six.
-Chú ý: Đk 2 và Đk 3(có would/could) được giữ nguyên thì cả 2 vế nhưng vẫn phải đổi
ngôi( I,me,my,you,your) và phó từ
ĐK 2:” If + S +
V2/ Ved/were /didn’t,
would/ Could/ Should…+
→S( nói) said that If
Giữ nguyên thì
→S( nói) + told + O(nghe) that if
ĐK 3: “If + S +
Had + V3/Ved,
would/ could…+ have +
→S( nói) said that If
Giữ nguyên thì
→S( nói) + told + O(nghe) that if
Chú ý: phải đổi” What would you do?” về trật tự KĐ "What you would do. "sau đó đổi ngôi, phó từ
bình thường, nhớ đổi dấu chấm hỏi(?) thành " dấu chấm(.)
Vd: My mom said to me, ‘ If you had a permit, you could find a job.’
= My mom told me that if I had a permit, I could find a job.
Tom said to her , ‘What would you do if you were a King?”.’
= Tom told her what she would do if she were a King.
Dạng 5: CÂU CẢM THÁN
Ex: - “ What a beautiful girl she is!”
"He exclaimed what a beautiful she was.
V. Những trường hợp không thay đổi thì của động từ:
a. Khi động từ tường thuật ở thì hiện tại hoặc tương lai thì phía sau ko được hạ thì( thì vẫn giữ
Ex: She says to me: "I like classical music".
→ She tells me she likes classical music.
b. Nếu câu trực tiếp là câu điều kiện loại 2 và loại 3
Ex: "If the weather were fine, we could go camping", Peter said.
→ Peter said if the weather were fine, they could go camping.
c. Nếu trong câu trực tiếp có các trợ động từ: should, would, could, ought to, might, used to, had
Ex: "You should practice speaking English every day" the teacher said to Mai.
→ The teacher said that Mai should practice speaking English every day.
d. không đổi thì sau: (I) wish ..., would rather ..., It’s time...
Ex: She said “I wish I had a lot of books.”
→ She told me she wished she had a lot of books.
e. Thì hiện tại đơn diễn tả 1 sự thật hiển nhiên, 1 chân lí
Ex: She said " Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius."
→ She said that water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.
MẸO LÀM TRẮC NGHIỆM:
REPORTED SPEECH: CÂU TƯỜNG THUẬT: luôn luôn ở trật tự KĐ(S+V) và đổi đủ 3 yếu tố
- Khi thấy said/told/asked/wondered/wanted to know hoặc thấy dấu ngoặc kép “..” thì đó là dấu hiệu
câu tường thuật: phải đổi đủ ba yếu tố : đổi ngôi(I,me,my, you, your), hạ 1 bậc thì, đổi phó từ thời
gian " nhớ loại bỏ đáp ns chưa hạ thì như (is/am/are, have/has, will/can, Vs/es/bare), nhớ loại bỏ đáp
án chưa đổi phó từ thời gian như (this/these/now/here/ago/yesterday/last/tomorrow, today/tonight, next)
- told nhớ chọn (not) to inf/ that S + V (nhớ đổi 3 yếu tố: ngôi, thì, phó từ thời gian)
- before/previous --> chọn had + V3/ed
- following/after/the next --> TLĐ = chọn would, could + Vbare/ was,were + V_ing/ was,were + going
- asked --> chọn to inf/ if,whether/ từ hỏi Wh S + V/ (loại bỏ that/ loại bỏ V(do/does/did/was/were) + S)
- Khi thấy asked/wondered/wanted to know đó là tường thuật của câu hỏi thì nhớ chọn đáp án KĐ ( S
+ V)/ if,whether, từ hỏi wh (loại bỏ đáp án có that)
- Khi thấy had + V3/ed nhớ chọn đáp án có before/previous
- Khi thấy “don’t forget to/remember” thì chọn reminded S.O to do S.T hoặc reminded s.O of doing
S.T: nhắc nhở( nhớ bỏ don’t forget đi)
- Khi thấy then nhớ chọn đáp án có was/were + V_ing
- khi thấy “would you like to” nhớ chọn invited S.O to do S.T( mời ai)
- khi thấy “ would you like+ N?” thì nhớ chọn offered S.O to do S.T
- khi thấy “you should/had better /ought to; if I were you; if I were in your position/shoes” thì nhớ
chọn advised S.O to do S.T; khuyên ai
- khi thấy “ I’m sorry” nhớ chọn apologised to S.O for doing S.T: xin lỗi ai
- khi thấy “thank you” nhớ chọn thanked S.O for doing S.T: cảm ơn ai
- Khi thấy “ congratulations” nhớ chọn congratulated S.O on doing S.T: chúc mừng ai
- khi thấy” No. it’s not me/it’s not my fault/ I didn’t” thì chọn denied+ V-ing : phủ nhận( nhớ bỏ not)
- khi thấy “ I Won’t/ I will not” thì nhớ chọn refused to do S.t: từ chối
- Khi thấy” I will/ I‘ll” thì nhớ chọn promised to do S.T: hứa
thì nhớ chọn offered to do S.T: đề nghị
thì nhớ chọn agreed to do S.T: đồng ý
- khi thấy “ Let me/I really want/I must” thì nhớ chọn insisted on + V-ing: khăng khăng
- khi thấy” I want to/ I would like to” nhớ chọn dreamed of doing S.(Mơ ước)
- khi thấy “hello” thì nhớ chọn greeted: chào hỏi
- khi thấy “it was your fault”:đó là lỗi của bạn: thì nhớ chọn"S nói + blamed + O nghe for doing s.T: đỗ
lỗi cho ai
- Khi thấy khen “Great/How beautiful” thì nhớ chọn Complimented S.O on doing s.T: khen ai
- khi thấy”Let’s/Shall we/It’s a good idea to/How about/what about” thì nhớ chọn:
Suggested + Ving hoặc suggested that S nói + (should) + Vbare: đề nghị
- khi thấy “Why don’t you/we?” Thì nhớ chọn:
Suggested + Ving hoặc suggested that S nói + (should) + Vbare: khuyên ai
Advised S.O to do S.T: khuyên ai
- khi thấy “ I spent a lot of time” Thì nhớ chọn:" s nói + concentrated on doing s.T: tập trung
- khi thấy “Vbare or I’ll” Thì nhớ chọn:" s nói + threatened to do S.T(B) if A didn’t + V bare : đe dọa
ai.. nếu A ko
- khi thấy “Vbare or you’ll” Thì nhớ chọn:"S nói + advised S.O to do(A) …to do S.T(B): khuyên ai
- khi thấy “ trust me” Thì nhớ chọn " S nói + persuaded S.O to do S.T: thuyết phục ai
• ordered S.O to do S.T: ra lệnh cho ai
• Begged S.O to do S.T: năn nỉ ai
• Encouraged S.O to do S.T: khuyến khích ai
• introduced S.O to S.O: giới thiệu ai với ai
• threatened to do : đe dọa
• S nói+ looked forward to + V-ing: mong đợi
S nói + criticized S.O for doing S.T: chỉ trích ai
Choose the word or the phrase (A, B, C, or D) that best completes the sentence.
1. She told him _______ up late.
A. not to staying
B. that he not stayed
C. to stay not
D. not to stay
2. The doctor advised me _______.
B. not smoking
C. not to smoke
D. not to smoking
3. My father asked me _______ of the film.
A. what do you think
B. what I think
C. what did you think
D. what I thought
4. She said that she _______ there for six years.
A. has lived
B. had lived
C. would lived
5. John asked me _______ interested in any kind of sports.
A. if I were
B. if were I
C. if was I
D. if I was
6. The librarian told us not _______ reference books out of the library.
B. to take
7. Mr. White asked me _______ that film the night before.
A. that I saw
B. had I seen
C. if I had seen
D. if had I seen
8. The teacher told his students _______ laughing.
A. to stop
9. The woman wondered _______ doing well at school or not.
A. whether the children are
B. if the children were
C. whether the children were
D. her children are if
10. I wanted to know _______ return home.
A. when would she B. when will she
C. when she will
D. when she would
11. The doctor advised Robert _______ to lose weight.
A. to take more exercise so that he could
B. to take more exercise if he wanted
C. that he takes more exercise
D. that he should take more exercise in order that
12. Jason asked me _______ me the book the day before.
A. if who gave
B. if who has given
C. who had given
D. that who had given
13. He advised _______ too far.
A. her did not go
B. her do not go
C. her not to go
D. she did not go
14. She told the boys _______ on the grass.
A. do not play
B. did not play
C. not playing
D. not to play
15. “Let's break for lunch,” said Mathew.
A. Mathew wanted to break for lunch.
B. Mathew insisted on breaking for lunch.
C. Mathew suggested breaking for lunch.
D. Mathew offered us a break for lunch.
16. “I'm sorry I didn't phone you earlier,” Jill said to me.
A. Jill apologized for not phoning me earlier. B. Jill thanked for not phoning me earlier.
C. Jill apologized for phoning me earlier.
D. Jill apologized for not phone me earlier.
17. "Don't forget to phone the office", she said
A. She reminded him not forget to phone the office.
B. She reminded him to forget not to phone the office.
C. She reminded him to phone the office.
D. She reminded him about phoning the office.
18. My friend told me, “If I were you, I would not smoke so much.”
A. My friend advised me not to smoke so much.
B. My friend warned me against smoking so much.
C. My friend prohibited me from smoking so much.
D. My friend suggested not smoking so much.
19. "I will let you know the answer by the end of this week,” Tom said to Janet.
A. Tom suggested giving Janet the answer by the end of the week.
B. Tom promised to give Janet the answer by the end of the week.
C. Tom insisted on letting Janet know the answer by the end of the week.
D. Tom offered to give Janet the answer by the end of the week.
20. "Leave my house now or I'll call the police!" shouted the lady to the man.
A. The lady threatened to call the police if the man didn't leave her house.
B. The lady said that she would call the police if the man didn't leave her house.
C. The lady told the man that she would call the police if he didn't leave her house.
D. The lady informed the man that she would call the police if he didn't leave her house.
21. "Would you like to come to my birthday party, Sarah?" asked Frederic.
A. Frederic invited Sarah to his birthday party.
B. Frederic asked if Sarah was able to come to his birthday party.
C. Frederic asked Sarah if she liked his birthday party or not.
D. Frederic reminded Sarah of his coming birthday party.
22. “I will not leave until I see the manager,” said the customer.
A. The customer refused to leave until he saw the manager.
B. The customer decided to leave because he did not see the manager.
C. The customer said he would leave before he saw the manager.
D. The customer was persuaded to see the manager before leaving.
23. She asked John to repeat what he had said.
A. “Will you please repeat what John said?” she asked.
B. “Please repeat what you said, John,” she said.
C. “You have to repeat what you say, John,” she said.
D. “Please repeat what you said to John,” she said.
24. “No, it’s not true. I didn’t steal the money!” Jean said.
A. Jean refused to steal the money.
B. Jean did not intend to steal the money.
C. Jean admitted stealing the money.
D. Jean denied having stolen the money.
25.Robert said that his father _______ to Dallas the year before.
C. has gone
D. had gone
26. The mother asked her son _______.
A. where he has been
B. where he had been
C. where has he been
D. where had he been
27. Martin asked me _______.
A. how is my father
B. how my father is
C. how was my father
D. how my father was
28. Mr. Brown asked me _______.
A. if I know how to play the piano
B. if do I know how to play the piano
C. whether I knew how to play the piano
D. do I know how to play the piano
29. Mr. Hawk told me that he _______ me his answer the following day.
A. will give
B. would give
D. had given
30. “Don’t forget to tidy up the final draft before submission,” the team leader told us.
A. The team leader reminded us to tidy up the final draft before submission.
B. The team leader asked us to tidy up the final draft before submission.
C. The team leader ordered us to tidy up the final draft before submission.
D. The team leader simply wanted us to tidy up the final draft before submission.
31. “If I were you, I would not choose to write about such a sensitive topic,” the teacher said.
A. The teacher advised me against writing about such a sensitive topic.
B. I was blamed for writing about such a sensitive topic by the teacher.
C. I was ordered by the teacher not to write about such a sensitive topic.
D. The teacher advised me on writing about such a sensitive topic.
32. “Sure, I’ll lend you my car this afternoon,” Richard said to me.
A. Richard asked me to lend him my car.
B. Richard refused to lend me his car.
C. Richard suggested lending me his car.
D. Richard agreed to lend me his car.
33. Ba told me that he was leaving for the capital _____________.
A. tomorrow B. the following week C. tonight
D. next Sunday
34. “I didn’t witness that accident.”
A. He denied not having witnessed that accident.B. He denied having witnessed that accident.
C. He denied not having witnessing that accident.
D. He denied not had witnessed that accident.
35. “Would you like to join our team?”, he said.
A. He said to me would you like to join our team.
B. He told me if I would like to join their team.
C. He invited me to join their team.
D. He asked me if I would like to join our team
36. “You cheated in the exam.” The teacher said to his students
A. The teacher insisted his students on cheating in the exam.
B. The teacher prevented his students from cheating in the exam.
C. The teacher advised his students to cheat in the exam.
D. The teacher accused his students of cheating in the exam.
37 “Don’t touch that flower.” the old lady said to the boy.
A. The old lady wanted the boy not to touching that flower.
B. The old lady insisted the boy on touching that flower.
C. The old lady warned the boy against touching that flower.
D. The old lady congratulated the boy on touching that flower.
38 “Let’s go on a walk holiday!” said Jane.
A. Jane suggested going on a walking holiday.
B. Jane wanted us to go on a walking holiday.
C. Jane invited us to go on a walking holiday.
D. Jane allowed us to go on a walking holiday.
39 " Don't forget to give the book back to Mary," he said to me.
A. He reminded me to give the book back to Mary. B. He reminded me to forget to give the book
back to Mary.
C. He advised me to give the book back to Mary.D. He advised me to forget to give the book back to
40. “Don’t walk on the grass,” the gardener said to us.
a. The gardener said to us don’t walk on the grass.
b. The gardener told us not to walk on the grass.
c. The gardener suggested us not to walk on the grass.
d. The gardener advised us not walking on the grass.
41. “How beautiful is the dress you have just bought!” Peter said to Mary.
a. Peter promised said thanks to Mary for her beautiful dress.
b. Peter said thanks to Mary for her beautiful dress.
c. Peter complimented Mary on her beautiful dress.
d. Peter asked Mary how she had just bought her beautiful dress.
42. “Hello, Mary!” Peter said
a. Peter said hello Mary
b. Peter said Mary hello
c. Peter told Mary hello
d. Peter greeted Mary