YENDUNG HIGH SCHOOL NO3
UNIT 10: NATURE IN DANGER
Exercise 1: Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
1. A. small
2. A. swimmer
3. A. parks
4. A. forest
5. A. suggest
6. A. chemical
7. A. nature
8. A. scatter
9. A. danger
10. A. supply
Exercise 2: Choose the correct answer
1. Many organizations have been set up and funds have been raised.
2. The number of rare animals is decreasing rapidly.
3. A species of animal or plant that is _______ no longer has any living members, either in the world or in a
4. Those who concern are very worried about the _____ of many species.
5. Because of people's _____ with the environment, many kinds of plants and animals are becoming rare.
6. Tropical forests have supplied us with many sorts of plants for food, medicine, and industry.
7. It is estimated that only 1,000 pandas remain in ______ wild.
8. England was one of the first countries to _________
9. Their _______ is rejected due to some problems of pollution.
10. We all regard pollution as a _______ matter to human beings.
11. Human beings are adding more and more pollutants ________ the environment.
12. You should make sure __________ what you have just told us.
13. Forest destruction results _________ floods and air pollution.
14. It is automobile industry _____ contributes the most greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere.
B. in which
15. _______many species of animals have become extinct.
A. There are many reasons for which
B. Many reasons for which
C. The reasons for that
D. For which reasons
16. We should do something to save those animals ___ hunted for their fur or for other valuable parts of their bodies.
A. those are
B. which are
C. which is
D. that is
17. Farmers use more and more __________them to grow better crops but harm the environment.
A. powerful chemicals who help
B. which powerful chemicals help
C. powerful chemicals which help
D. powerful chemicals help
18. Water is one of the most precious resources ________for our life.
A. we depend on which B. which we depend C. on which we depend
D. on that we depend
19.___ are very dense, warm, and wet, are havens for millions of plants and animals.
A. Rain forests
B. Rain forests, that
C. Rain forest, where
D. Rain forests, which
20. The farmers and their cattle __________had been trapped in the storm were fortunately rescued.
Page | 1
YENDUNG HIGH SCHOOL NO3
21.Nowadays, city dwellers, ______ enjoy a lot from the modern material life, have to suffer from pollution
22. Do you know that environmentalist ________?
A. with whom I used to work
B. with that I used to work
C. with I used to work
D. with who I used to work
23. Rain forests influence the Greenhouse effect, ________traps heat inside the Earth's atmosphere.
24. The local authority banned us from going near the forest _____________
there is a serious fire.
A. for which
B. in that
25. _______once roamed the jungles in vast numbers, were estimated to become extinct by the year 2025.
A. Bengal tigers
B. Bengal tigers, which C. Bengal tigers, that
D. Bengal tigers which
26. Laws have been introduced to prohibit the killing of endangered animals.
27. Hunting for meat and burning forests for soils _______wildlife.
28. National Parks are established to create the environment for rare animals to survive and _____offspring.
28. The World Wild Funds is working to protect and save the forests that are in _____.
30. Scientists think it unlikely that the species will actually become extinct as a ______of the oil spill.
31. Human beings can’t exist without water and air.
32. Do you know exactly _______number of Siberian tigers in China?
33. Garbage is considered to be some kind of _____
34. Because of forest destruction some rare animals cannot survive, let alone ______
35. The people in our village are leading a _____ life.
36. Human beings are changing the environment ___ all respects.
37. Air pollution interferes ______ our body's ability to process oxygen.
38. We should do something immediately to save many kinds of rare animals ______ extinction.
39. I personally think that it is easy to understand_____ time is relative.
A. the reason
B. the reason for that C. for which reason D. the reason why
40.. ______ concerns about wildlife never keeps a wild animal as pest.
A. Anyone that B. Anyone which
C. Anyone for whom D. Anyone those
41. Did you listen to the lecture on the environment by Dr. Pike, ____
A. whom I have ever told you about
B. about that I have ever told you
C. I have ever told you
D. that I have ever told you
42._______ want to use rain forests are cutting them down without any hesitation.
A. People who
B. People which
C. People whom
43. The man showed us the cage _____ he kept a fierce lion.
C. in which
D. in that
44. Those villagers____ near the forest chop down hardwoods to sell for high prices.
B. who live
C. whom live
D. for whom to live
45. We have just had an exploration through that forest _______.
A. which some pandas survive
B. where there are some pandas surviving
C. in which there are some pandas survive D. that some pandas survive
46. By cutting down the trees, people destroy the ecosystem of the rain forest ____ .
Page | 2
YENDUNG HIGH SCHOOL NO3
A. on which they depend B. where they depend on C. which they depend D. where they depend
47.. ____ comes from thousands of factories has caused enormous increases in air pollution levels.
B. Smoke for which C. Smoke that
D. Smoke whose
48. The areas_____ are destroyed suffer a lot from soil erosion.
A. which trees
B. whose trees
C. that trees D. trees which
49. I will never forget the time ______ I first visit Cat Tien National Park.
D. on that
50.Those scientists are doing research on the period ____ the Earth formed.
B. on that
is the air, water and land in or on which people, animals and plants live.
52. Certain chemicals have been banned because of their damaging effect on the environment.
53. The Earth is one of the
in the solar system.
54. Deforestation is destroying large areas of tropical rain forest.
55. The area is roped off because the water is seriously polluted.
56. During a long drought, farmers had to find ways to
57. Human beings have
great influence on
A. the / a
B. a / the
C. Ø / a
D. the / Ø
58. We have to suffer a lot of floods due to our serious
59. She is a famous
.She tries her best to protect rare animals from extinction.
60. The problems of pollution call for a prompt
from the government.
61. They are asking for public donations to protect some certain wild animals
62. More and more rare animals are
danger of extinction.
63. Do you know how many pandas remain
64. Rain forests are places
people harvest wood, delicious fruits, and powerful medicine.
A. in which
B. in that
C. in where
65. I wonder about
human beings are destroying the environment so seriously.
A. the reason that
B. that reason
C. the reason in which
D. the reason for which
Exercise 3:Read the passage carefully and, choose the correct answer.
The scarcity of tigers and African elephants is more and more serious. They are endangered because
poachers hunt them in order to sell tiger pelts and elephant ivory.
At least 4,000 elephants are killed each year in order to meet the global demand for elephant ivory, which is
used to make carvings, jewelry and other products although it is illegal to sell ivory since 1989 anywhere.
"Americans should be aware that there is still a problem with elephant poaching and loss to the illegal
ivory trade," Ginette Hemley, Fund's vice president for species conservation, told The Washington Post in
September. And so our message is, 'Don't buy it, and don't take that chance'."
A Wildlife Fund report states that the United States seized 8,300 illegal ivory items between 1995 and
2002. Each week there are about 1,000 ivory auctions; the report said.
As for tigers, their parts are used in traditional Chinese medicine. Tiger bones are used as a pain reliever in
traditional medicine. Even tiger's whiskers are sold because some people in Asia think they are a good-luck
charm - like a rabbit's foot in the United States. "Part of our job is education," said Professor Dillon. "The
other part is law enforcement. So we have more than one strategy."
36. Hunters poach tigers for their ____
Page | 3
YENDUNG HIGH SCHOOL NO3
37. Which sentence is NOT true?
Elephants are hunted for their ivory.
B. .It is not illegal to sell ivory.
a. There are about 4,000 elephants killed each year. D. Elephant ivory is used to made jewelry.
38. The word it is referred to
a. an elephant
b. a tiger
c. tiger pelts
d. elephant ivory
39. The Chinese use parts of a tiger as ______.
40. According to Professor Dillon, _______
a. there is only one strategy to solve the problem
b. it is education that can help to solve the problem
c. we need both education and law enforcement to solve the problem
d. only law enforcement can help to solve the problem
Exercise 4:Read the passage and make the correct choice:
The tropical rain forests are a delight to people who (1) _____ nature. The forests are beautiful woodlands
which receive (2) _____rain. Many natural resources can be derived from tropical rain forests. (3)
_____natural resources are fruits, vegetables and rare herbs . Sometimes, the rain forests are cleared (4)
_____ valuable timber. Hardwood like teak, mahogany and rosewood are some of the popular timber that are
exported. These kinds of wood are then used (5) _____houses/and/furniture.
1.a. belong to
c. interested in
b. a great many
c. plenty of
d. a large number of
d. A lot
5.a. to make
b. to making
c. by making
Exercise 5:Read the following passage and choose the best answer:
We are all slowly destroying the earth. The seas and rivers are too dirty to swim in. There is so much
smoke in the air that it is unhealthy to live in many of the world’s cities. In one well-known city, for example,
poisonous gases from cars pollute the air so much that traffic policemen have to wear oxygen masks.
We have cut down so many trees that there are now vast areas of waste-land all over the world. As a result,
farmers in parts of Africa cannot grow enough to eat. In certain countries in Asia there is too little rice.
Moreover, we do not take enough care of the countryside. Wild animals are quickly disappearing. For instant,
tigers are rare in India now because we have killed too many for them to survive. However, it isn’t enough
simply to talk about the problem. We must act now before it is too late to do anything about it. Join us now.
Save the Earth. This is too important to ignore.
1. The seas and rivers nowadays _____.
a. cannot be swum in
b. are less dirty than they used to be
c. are dirty enough to swim in
d. are contaminated
2. Smoke _____.
a. is harmful to health
b. is full of the big cities
c. leads to a healthy life
d. makes life in big cities difficult
3. In one well-known city, traffic policemen have to wear oxygen masks _____.
a. in order to protect themselves from being injured b. because there are so many cars on the streets
c. in spite of poisonous gases
d. because of air pollution
4. Why do farmers in parts of Africa and Asia not grow enough to eat ?
a. Because many trees have been planted
b. Because people cut down many trees
c. Because there is too little rice
d. Because there are large areas of land that cannot be used
5. Wild animals are _____.
a. in danger of extinction
b. being protected from natural environment
c. killed so many that they cannot live in the forests
d. so rare that they cannot survive
Page | 4
YENDUNG HIGH SCHOOL NO3
Page | 5