Gia sư Thành Được
ENGLISH 12TH – FULL TEST– HKI - 2015
1. A. laughed
2. A. brothers
3. A. character
4. A. influence
5. A. corporation
II. Choose from the four options given one best answer to complete each sentence
6. The medical community continues to make progress in the fight against cancer.
7. A nuclear station may take risk going off due to unexpected incidents.
8. John cannot make a _______ to get married to Mary or stay single until he can afford a house and a car.
9. Most _______ are at senior level, requiring appropriate qualifications.
10. Jackie Robinson, ______ to play baseball in the major leagues, joined the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947.
A. the Black American who first
B. the first Black American
C. was the first Black American
D. the first and a Black American who
11. Geysers have often been compared to volcanoes ________ they both emit hot liquids from below the earth’s
A. due to
C. in spite of
D. regardless of
12. Flag Day is a legal holiday only in the state of Pennsylvania, _______ Betsy Ross sewed the first American
13. During the late 15 century, _______ of the native societies of America had professions in the fields of arts
A. only a few
B. a few but
C. few, but only
D. a few only
14. According some educators, the goal of teaching is to help students learn what _______ to know to live a welladjusted and successful life.
A. do they need
B. they need
C. they are needed
D. as they may need
15. The first explorer ________ California by land was Jedediah Strong Smith, a trapper who crossed the
southwestern deserts of the United States in 1826.
A. that he reached
C. to reach
D. reaching it
16. The chair may be the oldest type of furniture, _______ its importance has varied from time to time and from
country to country.
A. but when
B. until then
C. in spite of
17. Halley’s Comet had its first documented sighting in 240 B.C. in China and _______ it has been seen from the
earth 29 times.
B. because of
C. since then
D. that is
18. The American Academy of Poets, _______ the 1930’s, provides financial assistance to support working poets.
A. when it was founded
B. was founded
C. which was founded in
D. was founded in
19. Fish were among the earliest forms of life. Fish _______ on earth for ages and ages.
B. are existing
D. have existed
20. Many gases, including the nitrogen and oxygen in air, _______ color or odor.
A. have no
B. which have no
C. not having
D. they do not have
Gia sư Thành Được
21. According to research reports, people usually _______ in their sleep 25 to 30 times each night.
B. are turning
C. have turned
22. There _____ available in his area of specialization.
A. isn’t a lot of job
B. aren’t a lot of jobs
C. isn’t a lot of jobs
D. aren’t a lot of job
23. Many of the _______ not expect to win.
A. participants in the race do
B. participant in the races does
C. participants in the race does
D. participant in the race does
24. More than ten victims _______ missing in the storm last week.
A. are reported to be
B. are reported to have been
C. are reporting to have been
D. are reporting to be
25. In the US the first stage of compulsory education _______ as elementary education.
A. to be generally known
B. is generally known
C. generally known
D. is generally knowing
26. The mother asked her son _______.
A. where he has been
B. where he had been
C. where has he been
D. where had he been
27. Martin asked me _______.
A. how is my father
B. how my father is
C. how was my father
D. how my father was
28. John asked me _______ interested in any kind of sports.
A. if I were
B. if were I
C. if was I
D. if I was
29. Alice: “What shall we do this evening?” Carol: “____________________”
A. Let’s go out for dinner.
B. Oh, that’s good!
C. No problem.
D. I went out for dinner.
30. Linda: “Excuse me! Where’s the post office?” -Maria: “____________.”
A. It’s over there
B. I'm afraid not
C. Don’t worry
D. Yes, I think so
III. Read the passage carefully and then choose the correct answers
Ever since humans have inhabited the earth, that have made use of various forms of communication.
Generally, this expression of thoughts and feelings has been in the form of oral speech. When there is a language
barrier, communication is accomplished through sign language in which motions stand for letters, words, and ideals.
Tourists, the deaf, and the mute have had to resort to this form of expression. Many of these symbols of whole words
are very picturesque and exact and can be used internationally; spelling, however, cannot.
Body language transmits ideals or thoughts by certain actions, either intentionally or unintentionally. A wink
can be a way of flirting or indicating that the party is only joking. A nod signifies approval, while shaking the head
indicates a negative reaction.
Other forms of nonlinguistic language can be found in Braille (a system of raised dots read with the
fingertips), signal flags, Morse code, and smoke signal. Road maps and picture signs also guide, warn, and instruct
While verbalization is the most common form of language, other systems and techniques also express human
thoughts and feelings.
31. Which of the following best summarizes this passage?
A. When language is a barrier, people will find other forms of communication.
B. Everybody uses one form of communication.
C. Nonlinguistic language is invaluable to foreigners.
Gia sư Thành Được
D. Although other forms of communication exist, verbalization is the fastest.
32. Which of the following is NOT TRUE?
A. There are many forms of communication in existence today.
B. Verbalization is the most common form of communication.
C. The deaf and the mute use an oral form of communication.
D. Ideals and thoughts can be transmitted by body language.
33. Which form other than oral speech would be most commonly used among blind people?
A. picture signs
C. body language
D. signal flags
34. How many different forms of communication are mentioned in the passage?
35. Sign language is said very picturesque and exact and can be used intentionally except for ______.
C. whole words
IV. Read the text and choose the best word to fill in the blank
Vietnamese people usually return to their families during Tết. Some return to worship at the family altar or
visit the graves of their ancestors in their homeland. They also clean the grave of their family as a sign of respect.
__________ Tết is a national holiday among all Vietnamese, each region and religion has its own customs.
Tết in the three Vietnamese regions can be __________ into three periods, _________ Tất Niên (penultimate
New Year's Eve), Giao Thừa (New Year's Eve), and Tân Niên (the New Year), representing the ____________
before Tết, the eve of Tết, and the days of and following Tết, respectively. All of these customs are
________________ Tết in Vietnam.
36. A. Although
D. Because of
37. A. consisted
38. A. know
B. that is known as
C. known as
D. know as
39. A. preparing
40. A. to celebrate
V. Identify the one underlined word or phrase that must be changed in order to make the sentence correct
41. Jason’s professor had him to rewrite his thesis many times before allowing him to present it to the committee.
42. Maribel has registered for both the afternoon anthropology class as well as the evening sociology lecture.
43. There were so much people trying to leave the burning building that the police had a great deal of trouble
Gia sư Thành Được
44. A lunch of soup and sandwiches do not appeal to all of the students.
45. Air pollution, together with littering, are causing many problems in our large, industrial cities today.
VI. Choose the correct sentence which has the same meaning as the given one
46. I have not seen Tom for ages.
A. It has been a long time since I last saw Tom.
B. Tom and I do not look the same age.
C. Tom and I are friends for a long time.
D. I often met Tom ages ago.
47. “How beautiful is the dress you have just bought!” Peter said to Mary.
A. Peter promised to buy Mary a beautiful dress.
B. Peter said thanks to Mary for her beautiful dress.
C. Peter complimented Mary on her beautiful dress.
D. Peter asked Mary how she had just bought her beautiful dress.
48. He drove carelessly and had an accident.
A. Driving carefully, he avoided the accident.
B. If he drove carefully, he wouldn’t have an accident.
C. If he had driven carefully, he would have avoided the accident.
D. He had an accident despite driving carefully.
49. “I will ring you up after I get home.” Peter said to Mary.
A. Peter promised to give Mary a wedding ring after he got home.
B. Peter asked Mary to pay him a visit after he' got home.
C. Peter promised to visit Mary after he got home.
D. Peter promised to telephone Mary after he got home.
50. It is not until a Vietnamese girl getting 18 years old that she is allowed to get married legally.
A. A Vietnamese girl is not allowed to get married legally only when she gets18 years old.
B. A Vietnamese girl is allowed to get married legally only after she gets 18 years old.
C. They never allow a Vietnamese girl to get married legally when she is 18 years old.
D. The legal allowance for a Vietnamese girl to get married will be issued in 18 years.