SỞ GIÁO DỤC VÀ ĐÀO TẠO
ĐỀ CHÍNH THỨC
KỲ THI CHỌN HỌC SINH GIỎI CẤP TỈNH
NĂM HỌC 2011 - 2012
Môn thi: Tiếng Anh (Lớp 9)
Ngày thi: 01 tháng 4 năm 2012
Thời gian làm bài: 150 phút
Chữ ký giám khảo 1: ..............................................................
Bằng chữ: ................................
Chữ ký giám khảo 2: ...............................................................
- Đề thi gồm 04 trang, thí sinh làm bài trực tiếp vào đề thi.
- Thí sinh không được sử dụng bất cứ tài liệu nào kể cả từ điển.
I. Choose one word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others. (5 pts)
1. A. cool
2. A. champagne
3. A. swing
4. A. occupation
5. A. with
II. Choose one word whose stress pattern is different from the others. (5 pts)
1. A. education
2. A. exciting
3. A. calendar
4. A. distribute
5. A. potential
III. Choose the best answer to complete the sentences. (10 pts)
1. - “Have a nice weekend!”
A. Do you have any plans?
B. I’m going to take it easy.
C. Thanks. You too!
D. Are you going anywhere?
2. Let's go somewhere else. There's ______ noise in this room.
A. too many
B. too much
3. The staff ______ at weekends so as not to delay the project any further.
B. is working
C. are working
4. - “Is it far to the railway station from here?”
A. Sure, no problem
B. By taxi
C. None at all
D. Yeah, it’s pretty far
5. He is the first student ______ the scholarship this year
A. who win
B. to win
D. whose won
6. Tet is a wonderful opportunity for ______ off new clothes.
7. They have just moved into a huge ______.
A. house two-storey
B. house of two storey C. two-storeys house D. two-storey house
8. ______ in large quantities in the Middle East, oil became known as black gold because of the large profit it brought.
B. which was discovered C. Discovered
D. That when discovered
9. The farther a star is from us, ______ it seems to us.
A. the smaller
B. much small
C. the smallest
10. - "Do you like the novel that I gave you last week?”
- “______ the novels that I’ve read, I enjoy this one most.”
A. All of
B. Of all
C. For all
D. From all
IV. Fill in each blank with a suitable preposition. Write the letter on the space provided. (5 pts)
1. Kim Jong-il died _______________ a suspected heart attack on 17 December 2011 while traveling
_______________ train to an area outside Pyongyang.
2. _______________ the Internet, we can select information _______________ a wide variety of sources.
3. It's hard work looking _______________ three children all day.
4. We had to call off the office party because _______________ the economic situation.
5. You have to fill _______________ this form, and return it to the manager.
6. For most households living in Hanoi, gas and electricity account ______________ 20% to 30% of the monthly bill.
7. She left the company because she didn’t get on _______________ her boss.
8. She walked into the house softly _______________ fear of being recognized.
V. Complete the telephone conversation between two friends. What does Jack say to Andrew? Write the
letter (A-H) on the space provided. (5 pts)
Andrew: Hi, Jack. It’s Andrew.
Andrew: Oh, sorry. I’m phoning about the skateboarding competition this A. I’d like a new one but I don’t
think I’m good enough to win.
B. I didn’t see it. Is the competition
Andrew: Really? There was some information about it in our club magazine.
on all afternoon?
C. Hi, you’re calling early!
Andrew: Just from 2.30 till 5 p.m. They give out prizes at 6 p.m.
D. Do the winners get CDs like
Andrew: The prizes are better this time. The top prize is a skateboard.
E. I wasn’t very good then.
F. I didn’t know that was today.
Andrew: You’re much better than you were last year.
G. I haven’t got one of those.
H. Maybe, we’ll see. Shall we
Andrew: Great! See you then.
meet in the park at 2.00?
VI. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the words in capital letters. (10 pts)
1. I think, it is not easy for you to apply for that job because you behaved towards the boss
2. The most ________________________ earthquake struck the north-east coast and (DISASTER)
triggered a massive tsunami in Japan last year.
3. After her excellent _______________________ in Vietnam’s got talent, Phuong Anh, an (PERFORM)
energetic girl becomes more beloved by television viewers.
4. I apologize for the mistakes I made this morning. There appears to have been a slight
5. _________________________ are alarmed by the rate at which tropical rainforests are (CONSERVE)
6. Please _________________________ your seatbelt. The plane is taking off.
7. You can never be sure what he is going to do. He is so ________________________.
8. Pop singer Whitney Houston, whose talent was discovered at an early age, was
pronounced ________________________ at the Beverly Hilton hotel.
9. The fans of Manchester United shouted ________________________ when Wayne (EXCITE)
Rooney scored an important goal for the team.
10. I found the visit most ________________________.
VII. Give the correct tense or form of the verbs in brackets to complete the following sentences. (10 pts)
1. Vladimir Putin (appoint) prime minister in 1999 by the foundering _________________________
president, Boris N. Yeltsin and (become) the president of Russia a _________________________
2. (Write) the letter, she put it carefully in an envelope and went to bed.
3. The man (sit) next to me was nervous because he (not fly) before.
4. No sooner the president (arrive) than they had an important discussion. _________________________
5. I don’t know why you always (talk) in class, boy.
6. Hue is a first year student. By the end of the year, she (learn) English for _________________________
7. Were I to know the answer, I (tell) you right away.
8. Peter, together with his family members, (visit) Halong Bay twice this year. _________________________
VIII. Each of the following sentences contains one error. Underline and correct it. (5 pts)
1. We want to spend our holiday in a villa by the sea and enjoying sea food.
2. The new workers will soon be accustomed to work on a night shift.
3. It is essential that every child has the same educational opportunities.
4. The more frequent you exercise, the greater physical endurance you will have. _______________________
5. The letter was sent by special delivery must be very important.
IX. Fill in each numbered space with ONE appropriate word. (10 pts)
Bi Rain to return to Vietnam
Two famous Korean singers – Bi Rain and Park Hyo Shin – are expected to be in Hanoi (1) ______________
March 17 to 23, to perform in the meeting between officials of the Vietnamese (2) _______________ South
Korean Ministries of Defense at the Hanoi Opera House on March 21. The two (3) _______________ will go to
Vietnam with a company of 97 officers and soldiers from the theatrical wing of the Republic of Korea’s (RoK)
Army, at the invitation of the Vietnamese Ministry of National Defense.
The tour is a part of a series of events to (4) ______________ the 20th anniversary of Vietnamese-RoK diplomatic
ties. (5) _______________ the tour, the troupe will visit the popular tourist destinations of Hanoi and Halong Bay.
Since joining the army last October, Bi Rain (6) _______________ nearly disappeared from the stage.
(7) _______________ in 1982, Bi Rain is a highly accomplished dancer, singer and actor (8)
_______________ acting and music career has expanded beyond Asian boundaries. In 2006, Bi Rain was
named by Time magazine as (9) _______________ of the "100 Most Influential People Who Shape Our World."
Bi Rain's concert will be (10) _______________ on March 21 at the Hanoi Opera House at 1 Trang Tien,
Hoan Kiem, Hanoi.
X. Read the passage below and then choose the correct answer A, B, C or D. (10 pts)
During the (1) ______ years, many young people can at times be difficult to talk to. They often seem to dislike
being questioned. They may seem (2) ______ to talk about their work at school. This is a normal (3) ______ of
this age. Though it can be very hard for parents to understand, it is part of becoming (4) ______ of teenagers
trying to be adult while they are still growing up. Young people are usually unwilling to talk if they believe, that
questions are trying to (5) ______ up on them
Parents should do their (6) ______ to talk to their son and daughter about school, work and future plans but
should not (7) ______ them to talk if they don't want to. Parents should also watch for dangerous signs. Some
young people in trying to be adult may (8) ______ with sex, drugs, alcohol or smoking. Parents need to watch for
any signs of (9) ______ behavior which may be connected with these and help if (10) ______.
1. A. early
2. A. unworried
3. A. development
4. A. free
5. A. catch
6. A. well
7. A. push
8. A. experiment
9. A. unacceptable
10. A. proper
XI. Read the passage below and then choose the correct answer A, B, C or D. (5 pts)
In Viet Nam, there is great excitement built up well before Tet Nguyen Dan. First, every family organizes a trip
to the cemetery to visit the graves of their ancestor. After that, to create an air of prosperity, wealth and fun for the
first three days of the Lunar New Year, people are kept busy cooking traditional foods, buying gifts, and making
other preparations. Certain items deemed to be bought or made are banh chung, dried watermelon seeds, tea,
dried sausages, fruit (fresh and candied), ornamental plants and flowers. Red and yellow flowers are ideal as they
make the house more welcoming. On the New Year's days, only good comments and wishes can be expressed.
Children receive their Ii xi (or red envelopes with lucky money inside). People make a visit to family members,
neighbors, and close friends. And people who live apart from their family try to get together on these days. Clearly
enough, games and various forms of entertainment are staged and these often last a week. Varying traditional
specialties including wrestling, buffalo fighting, dragon dancing take place in different regions.
1. Before Tet, people usually _________.
A. are very busy with the preparations
B. have great excitement and fun
C. rebuild their ancestral graves
D. spend time on traveling
2. Which of the following, according to the passage, is NOT usually eaten during Tet?
A. candied fruit
D. beef stew
3. Why are red and yellow flowers popular in decorating the house at Tet?
A. Because they are pleasant and cheap.
B. Because they make the house look comfortable to be in.
C. Because they represent good luck.
D. Because they are attractive and not very expensive.
4. On the New Year's days, _________.
A. people are busy cooking traditional foods
B. everybody receives their “lucky money”
C. only good comments can be made
D. houses are cleaned and decorated with trees and flowers
5. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage?
A. Tet is period of concord and hope.
B. Tet is an occasion for a family to get together.
C. Tet is a good time to visit others.
D. Tet is a great season of joy and of entertainment.
XII. Rewrite the sentences so that it means the same as the first one, beginning with the given words. (10 pts)
1. If someone understands this book, they are more intelligent than I am.
2. It was only when I left home that I realized how much my family meant to me.
Not until ___________________________________________________________________________.
3. That restaurant is so dirty that no one wants to eat there.
4. We can’t afford to buy the house.
The house _________________________________________________________________________.
5. “Why don’t you put a better lock on the door, Harry?” said John.
John suggested _____________________________________________________________________.
6. I am sure he didn’t know that his mother was seriously ill.
He couldn’t possibly __________________________________________________________________.
7. The value of sterling has fallen considerably in the past weeks.
There has __________________________________________________________________________.
8. Even though the old woman’s memory was poor, she told interesting stories to the children.
9. I’m having a lot of trouble now because I lost my passport last week.
If I ________________________________________________________________________________.
10. I wasn't a bit surprised to hear that Ashaha had failed the test.
It came ____________________________________________________________________________.
XIIII. Use the given word to write the second sentence in such a way that it is as similar as possible in
meaning to the original sentence. Do not change the form of the given word. (5 pts)
1. I’d like you to find this word in the dictionary.
Will you _________________________________________________ in the dictionary?
2. "You'd better have a few days at home," the doctor told Tom.
The doctor _____________________________________________ home for a few days.
3. “It’s your fault to make the wall dirty, Hung" said his mother.
Hung’s mother _________________________________________________ the wall dirty.
4. Are the children keen on sports activities?
Do the children enjoy __________________________________________ sports activities?
5. There are a lot of old people who need looking after.
Many old people need someone ___________________________________________ them.
XIV. Use the given suggestions to complete sentences. (5 pts)
1. Thank you / much / invite me / speak / your students.
2. I / be used / get up early / so / not mind / leave / 5 o’clock / morning.
3. Phuong / promise / keep / touch / us / while / she / be / Ho Chi Minh city.
4. Tuan / Nam / who / not come / class / yesterday / explain / teacher now.
5. Not / have / previous / experience / Peter / not stand / chance / job.
- THE END Trang 4/6
SỞ GD&ĐT BẮC GIANG
HƯỚNG DẪN CHẤM
ĐỀ THI CHỌN HỌC SINH GIỎI CẤP TỈNH
NĂM HỌC 2011 - 2012
ĐỀ CHINH THỨC
Môn thi: Tiếng Anh (Lớp 9)
Ngày thi: 01 tháng 4 năm 2012
(Hướng dẫn này gồm 2 trang)
(Tổng điểm: 100 điểm)
I. 5 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
II. 5 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
III. 10 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
IV. 5 pts: (Mỗi giới từ đúng 0.5 điểm)
1. of - by
2. On - from
V. 5 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
VI. 10 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
VII. 10 pts: (Mỗi động từ chia đúng 1 điểm)
1. was appointed – became
2. Having written
3. sitting – had not/ hadn’t flown
4. had the president arrived / had ….. arrived
5. are always talking/ are …… talking
6. will have learned/ will have been learning
7. would/ could tell
8. has visited
VIII. 5 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm, tìm được lỗi 0.5, sửa được lỗi 0.5)
1. enjoying -> ẹnjoy
2. work -> working
3. every child has -> every child (should) have
4. frequent -> frequently
5. was sent -> which was sent / sent
IX. 10 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
3. singers 4. celebrate 5. During
8. whose 9. one
X. 10 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
XI. 5 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
XII. 10 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
1. Anyone who understands this book is more intelligent than I am.
2. Not until I left home did I realize how much my family meant to me.
3. So dirty is that restaurant that no one wants to eat there .
4. The house is too expensive for us to buy.
(Or: The house is so expensive that we can’t afford to buy/ we can’t buy (it)).
5. John suggested (that) Harry (should) put a better lock on the door.
6. He couldn’t possibly have known that his mother was seriously ill.
7. There has been a considerable fall in the value of sterling in the past weeks.
8. Despite her/ the old woman’s poor memory, the old woman/ she told interesting stories
to the children.
9. If I hadn’t lost my passport last week, I wouldn’t be having a lot of trouble now.
10. It came as no surprise to me to hear that Ashaha had failed the test.
XIII. 5 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
1. Will you look up this word in the dictionary?
2. The doctor advised / told Tom to stay at home for a few days.
The doctor suggested that Tom (should) stay at home for a few days
3. Hung’s mother blamed him for making the wall dirty.
4. Do the children enjoy taking part in sports activities?
5. Many old people need someone to take care of them.
XIV. 5 pts: (Mỗi câu đúng 1 điểm)
1. Thank you very much for having invited me to speak to your students.
2. I am used to getting up early so I don’t mind leaving at 5 o’clock in the morning/ next
morning/ tomorrow morning.
3. Phuong promised to keep in touch with us while she was in Ho Chi Minh city.
4. Tam and Nam, who didn’t come to class yesterday, are explaining to the/ their
5. Not having had any previous experience, Peter doesn't stand a chance of getting that
- THE END Trang 6/6