CHUYÊN ĐỀ 13
CỤM ĐỘNG TỪ (PHRASAL VERBS)
* PHẦN I: LÝ THUYẾT
A/ PHRASAL VERB (CỤM ĐỘNG TỪ) là gì?
- Phrasal verb (cụm động từ) là sự kết hợp của động từ và giới từ hoặc trạng từ (được gọi chung là
tiểu từ - particle)
Eg: V+ prep: look for, look like
V+ adv: get away, take off
V+ adv+ prep: catch up with
B/ PHÂN LOẠI
Verbs + Particle +
Verbs + Particle +
Verbs + Noun
+ particle +
(on, off, up, down, in, out,
1. Nội cụm động từ (Intransitive phrasal verbs)
Là những cụm động từ không cần tân ngữ theo sau
Dưới đây là một số các nội cụm động từ thường gặp
We used to just drop by, but they
were never home, so we stopped
Popular songs seem to catch on in
California first and then spread
Father promised that we would
never come back to this horrible pl
They tried to come in through the
back door, but it was locked.
He was hit on the head very hard,
but after several minutes, he started
to come to again.
The children promised to come
That old Jeep had a tendency
to break down just when I needed it
When we visited Paris, we
loved eating out in the sidewalk
Uncle Heine didn't have much
money, but he always seemed to get
by without borrowing money from
Grandmother tried to get up, but the
couch was too low, and she couldn't
make it on her own.
It's hard to imagine that we will
ever go back to Lithuania.
He would finish one Dickens novel
and then just go on to the next.
The cops heard all the noise and
stopped to see what wasgoing on.
Charles grew up to be a lot like his
The judge warned the stalker
to keep away from his victim's
inue with the same
He tried to keep on singing long
after his voice was ruined.
He had drunk too much; he passed
out on the sidewalk outside the bar.
haughtil Whenever he sat down at the piano,
we knew he was going to show off.
Day after day, Efrain showed up for
class twenty minutes late.
I woke up
hen the rooster crowed.
Ngoại cụm động từ (Transitive phrasal verbs)
Ngoại cụm động từ là những cụm động từ cần có tân ngữ theo sau
E. g. 1. We are looking for my key
2. Remember to turn the lights off when going out.
2.1 Ngoại cụm động từ có thể tách (Separable phrasal verbs)
Là những cụm động từ mà tân ngữ của nó có thể theo sau hoặc tách cụm từ đó ra thành 2 phần.
You have to do this paint job over.
You have to do over this paint job.
Nhưng khi tân ngữ của cụm động từ đó là đại từ thì cụm động từ đó thường phải được tách ra
E. g. You have to do it over.
hold up (2)
The terrorists tried to blow up the railroad station.
My mother brought up that little matter of my prison record
mention a topic again.
It isn't easy to bring up children nowadays.
They called off this afternoon's meeting
làm lại, ôn lại
Do this homework over.
complete a form Fill out this application form and mail it in.
lấp đầy, điền
She filled up the grocery cart with free food.
phát hiện, khám My sister found out that her husband had been planning a
surprise party for her.
cho, phân phát
The filling station was giving away free gas.
My brother borrowed my car. I have a feeling he's not about
to give it back.
nộp, đệ trình
The students handed in their papers and left the room.
gác, treo, móc
She hung up the phone before she hung up her clothes.
I hate to hold up the meeting, but I have to go to the bathroom.
Three masked gunmen held up the Security Bank this afternoon.
You left out the part about the police chase down Asylum
The lawyers looked over the papers carefully before questioning
examine, check the witness. (They looked them overcarefully.)
search in a list
You've misspelled this word again. You'd better look itup.
invent a story or She knew she was in trouble, so she made up a story about
going to the movies with her friends.
nhặt ra, chọn ra
call attention to
save or store
mặc (quần áo),
đội, đeo, …
He was so far away, we really couldn't make out what he was
There were three men in the line-up. She picked out the guy she
thought had stolen her purse.
The crane picked up the entire house. (Watch them pick itup.)
As we drove through Paris, Francoise pointed out the major
We put away money for our retirement. She put away the cereal
We asked the boss to put off the meeting until tomorrow.
(Please put it off for another day.)
I put on a sweater and a jacket. (I put them on quickly.)
The firefighters put out the house fire before it could spread.
(They put it out quickly.)
I read over the homework, but couldn't make any sense of it.
My wife set up the living room exactly the way she wanted it.
She set it up.
make a written
These are your instructions. Write them down before you
remove clothing It was so hot that I had to take off my shirt.
We have serious problems here. Let's talk them over like adults.
That's a lot of money! Don't just throw it away.
She tried on fifteen dresses before she found one she liked.
I tried out four cars before I could find one that pleased me.
Your radio is driving me crazy! Please turn it down.
He applied for a promotion twice this year, but he wasturned
down both times.
Grandpa couldn't hear, so he turned up his hearing aid.
We turned off the lights before anyone could see us.
It was a disgusting movie. It really turned me off.
switch on the
Turn on the CD player so we can dance.
turn down (2)
turn off (2)
The gang members used up all the money and went out to rob
some more banks.
2.2 Ngoại cụm động từ không thể tách (Separable phrasal verbs)
Là những cụm động từ có phần tiểu từ không thể tách ra khỏi động từ gốc vì nó chứa nghĩa
của cụm động từ đó (verb-meaning).
call on (2)
ask to recite in
bình phục, khỏi
The teacher called on students in the back row.
The old minister continued to call on his sick parishioners.
I got over the flu, but I don't know if I'll ever get over my
use up; consume
take care of
tình cờ gặp
break in on
catch up with
check up on
come up with
cut down on
drop out of
get along with
get away with
get rid of
keep up with
have a good
look forward to pleasure
look down on
look in on
look out for
look up to
make sure of
put up with
run out of
take care of
talk back to
think back on
walk out on
The students went over the material before the exam. They
should have gone over it twice.
They country went through most of its coal reserves in one
year. Did he go through all his money already?
My mother promised to look after my dog while I was gone.
The police will look into the possibilities of embezzlement.
I ran across my old roommate at the college reunion.
Carlos ran into his English professor in the hallway.
My second son seems to take after his mother.
It seemed strange to see my old boss wait on tables.
I was talking to Mom on the phone when the operator broke in
on our call.
After our month-long trip, it was time to catch up with the
neighbors and the news around town.
The boys promised to check up on the condition of the
summer house from time to time.
After years of giving nothing, the old parishioner was able
to come up with a thousand-dollar donation.
We’ve come up with how to deal with the problem
We tried to cut down on the money we were spending on
I hope none of my students drop out of school this semester.
I found it very hard to get along with my brother when we
Janik cheated on the exam and then tried to get away with it.
The citizens tried to get rid of their corrupt mayor in the
When will you ever get through with that program?
It's hard to keep up with the Joneses when you lose your job!
I always look forward to the beginning of a new semester.
It's typical of a jingoistic country that the citizens look down
on their geographical neighbors.
We were going to look in on my brother-in-law, but he wasn't
Good instructors will look out for early signs of failure in their
First-graders really look up to their teachers.
Make sure of the student's identity before you let him into the
The teacher had to put up with a great deal of nonsense from
the new students.
The runners ran out of energy before the end of the race.
My oldest sister took care of us younger children after Mom
The star player talked back to the coach and was thrown off
I often think back on my childhood with great pleasure.
Her husband walked out on her and their three children.
CÁC CỤM ĐỘNG TỪ (PHRASAL VERB) THƯỜNG GẶP
(trong chương trình SGK phổ thông)
1. account for: giải thích, kể đến
2. ask for: đòi hỏi
3. break down = fail, collapse: hỏng, suy sụp
4. break out = start suddenly: bùng nổ, bùng phát
5. bring up = raise and educate: nuôi nấng
6. bring about = cause sth to happen: xảy ra, mang lại
7. catch up / catch up with: bắt kịp, theo kịp.
8. call off: hủy bỏ
9. call on = visit: viếng thăm
10. call up: gọi điện
11. carry on: tiến hành
12. carry out: tiến hành
13. catch up with: theo kịp với
14. come along: tiến hành
15. come on= begin: bắt đầu
16. come out = appear: xuất hiện
17. come about = become lower: giảm xuống, sa sút
18. come over = visit: ghẫ thăm
19. come up with: think of: Nghĩ ra
20. cool off: (nhiệt tình) nguội lạnh đi, giảm đi.
21. count on = investigate, examinate: tính, dựa vào
22. differ from = not be the same: không giống với
23. fall behind: thụt lùi, tụt lại đằng sau.
24. fill in: điền vào, ghi vào
25. fill out = discover: khám phá ra
26. get over = recover from: vượt qua, khắc phục
27. get up: thức dậy
28. get along / get on with sth: have a good relationship with sb: hòa thuận
29. give in: nhượng bộ, chịu thua.
30. give up = stop: từ bỏ, bỏ
31. go after: theo đuổi
32. go by (thời gian: trôi qua
33. go after = chase, pursue: theo đuổi, rượt đuổi
34. go ahead = be carried out: được diễn ra, tiến hành
35. go along = develop, progress: tiến bộ
36. go away: biến mất, tan đi.
37. go back = return: trở lại
38. go in: vào, đi vào.
39. go off (chuông): reo, (súng, bom): nổ, (sữa): chua, hỏng, (thức ăn), (đèn) tắt, (máy móc): hư
40. go on = continue: tiếp tục
41. go over: xem lại
42. go out (ánh sáng, lửa, đèn): tắt
43. go up: lớn lên, trưởng thành = grow up, (giá cả): tăng lên
44. go down: (giá cả): giảm xuống
45. hold up = stop =delay: hoãn lại, ngừng
46. hurry up: làm gấp
47. keep on = continue: tiếp tục
48. keep up with: theo kịp, bắt kịp.
49. lay down: đề ra
50. let down: khiến ai thất vọng
51. lie down: nằm nghỉ
52. jot down = make a quick note of something: ghi nhanh
53. look after: chăm sóc
54. look at: nhìn
55. look down on sb = coi thường
56. look up to sb = respect: kính trọng
57. look up: tìm, tra cứu (trong sách, từ điển)
58. look for: tìm kiếm
59. make out = understand: hiểu
60. make up = invent, put sth together: phát minh, trộn
61. pass away = die: chết
62. put on: mặc (quần áo), mang (giày), đội (mũ), mở (đèn)
63. put out = make st stop burning, produce: dập tắt, sản xuất
64. put off = postpone: hoãn lại
65. put up = build: xây dựng
66. result in = lead to = cause: gây ra
67. speak up: nói to, nói thẳng
68. set off = begin: khỏi hành
69. set up = establish: thành lập
70. set out/ set off: khởi hành
71. stand by: ủng hộ
72. stand for: là viết tắt của…
73. take after = resemble: giống
74. take off: cởi (quần áo, giày, mũ); (máy bay) cất cánh
75. take over = take responsible for st /V-ing:đảm nhận trách nhiệm
76. take up = start doing: bắt đầu tham gia
77. try out: thử
78. try on: mặc thử (quần áo)
79. turn down: gạt bỏ, bác bỏ
80. turn off: khóa, tắt (đèn, máy móc, động cơ …)
81. turn on: mở (đèn, máy móc, động cơ …)
82. turn round: quay lại, thay đổi hướng
83. turn up: đến = arrive = appear (xuất hiện)
84. wait up (for): thức đợi ai
85. wash away: cuốn trôi đi, quét sạch
86. wash up: rửa bát đĩa.
87. watch out: đề phòng, chú ý
88. wipe out = remove, destroy completely: xóa bỏ, phá hủy
* PHẦN II: BÀI TẬP VẬN DỤNG
CHỌN ĐÁP ÁN ĐÚNG
1. What may happen if John will not arrive in time?
A. go along
B. count on
C. keep away
D. turn up
2. Johnny sometimes visits his grandparents in the countryside.
A. calls on
B. keeps off
C. takes in
D. goes up
3. They decided to postpone their journey till the end of the month because of the epidemic.
A. take up
B. turn round C put off
D. do with
4. The stranger came ………. me and asked, "Is there a post office near here?"
A. on to
B away from
C. out of
D. up to
5. Frankly speaking, your daughter does not take ………….. you at all.
6. She is not really friendly. She does not get on well ____ her classmates.
7. I would be grateful if you kept the news ………. yourself. Do not tell anyone about it.
8. I do not use those things any more. You can ………… them away.
9. They were late for work because their car ………….. down.
10. The authority ………….. down that building to build a supermarket.
11. I didn't get to see the end of that movie on TV last night. How did it …………. out?
12. I’m not surprised Margaret's ill. With all the voluntary work she's _...................., she’s really been
doing too much.
A. taken off
B. taken on
C. taken in
D. taken to
13. At present we are __________ an anti-drug campaign.
A. setting up for
B. carrying out
C. taking part
D. joining with
14. At the station, we often see the sigh “…………. for pickpockets”.
A. Watch on
B. Watch out C. Watch up
D. Watch at
15. Let’s wait here for her; I’m sure she’ll …………………..
A. turn down
B. turn off
C. turn over
D. turn up
16. UNESCO…………. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
A. stands for
B. brings about
C. takes after
D gets across
17. Don't forget to ……………. your gloves on. It is cold outside.
18. The passengers had to wait because the plane……………off one hour late.
19. Be careful! The tree is going to fall.
A. Look out
B. Look up
C. Look on
D. Look after
20. The bomb exploded in the garage; fortunately no one hurt.
A put on
B. went off
C. got out
D. kept up
21. These shoes felt too tight, so I took……………and tried a larger size.
A. away them
B. off them
C. them away
D. them off
22. My father still hasn’t really recovered from the death of my mother.
A went over
B. got over
C. took over
D. looked over
23. I can’t …………… walking. Can we stop and have a short rest?
A go on
B. get on
C. go up
D. get up
24. When you are finished using the computer, can you please …………. it off.
25. When the alarm went off, everyone proceeded calmly to the emergency exits.
26. Look out. There is a rattlesnake under the picnic table!
B. Be careful
27. Mrs. Jones's husband passed away fast Friday. We’re all shocked by the news.
A got married
D. were on business
28. If you want to be healthy. you should …………. your bad habits in your lifestyles
A. give up
B call off
C break down D get over
29. Watch ………… ! a car is coming
30. Try to study harder to catch ……………. your classmates.
B. up with
31. Don’t be impatient! I ‘m sure he will turn …………on time
33. Go _______ this book because it has the information you need.
34. My husband spends far more time helping our three kids ________ homework and studying for tests
than I do.
35. My husband and I take turns cleaning ________ the kitchen depending ________ who gets home
from work earlier.
A. away / to
B. from / in
C. up / on
D. with / for
36. The efforts for the advancement of women have resulted ________ several respectively achievement
in women's life and work.
37. The small white flowers are my favorite. They give off a wonderful honey smell that scents the entire
38. I couldn't make out what he had talked about because I was not used to his accent.
39. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt you. Please, go on and finish what you were saying.
40. The firefighters fought the blaze while the crowd was looking on it.
41. What does "www" ________ for? Is it short for “world wide web?”
42. If you do not understand the word "superstitious," look it up in the dictionary.
A. find its meaning
B. write it
C. draw it
D. note it
44. The firefighters fought the blaze while the crowd was looking on it.
45. Not all women can do two jobs well at the same time: rearing children and working at office.
B. taking care of
D. giving a birth
46. The driver skidded and …. a dog.
B. ran into
C. ran after
D. ran over
47. Aren’t you going to …the dress…before you buy it?
A. try/ X
B. try/ up
C. try/ on
D. try /in
48. I’m sorry, sir. But you’ve already worn this dress. That’s why we can’t…it…..
A. take/ back
B. take /after
C. take/ in
D. take/ again
49. Are you telling the truth? Or are you …………. the story.
B. making up
C. making for
50. It took women a long time to struggle ________ the right to vote.
51. Women are increasingly involved ________ the public life.
52. Although the team was both mentally and physically exhausted, they ________ on walking.
53. If you don't pay your rent, your landlord is going to kick you out!
A. lend you some money
B. play football with you
C. give you a kick
D. force you to leave
54. Everything is _______ you. I cannot make _______ my mind yet.
A. out off / on
B. up to / up
C. away from / for
D. on for / off
55. There is no food left. Someone must have eaten it _______.
56. The explorers made a fire to _______ off wild animals.
57. If something urgent has _______ up, phone me immediately and I will help you.
58. The organization was established in 950 in the USA.
A. come around
B. set up
C. made out
D. put on
59. Within their home country, National Red Cross and Red Crescent societies assume the duties and
of a national relief society.
A. take on
B. get off
C. go about
D. put in
60. It took me a very long time to recover from the shock of her death.
A. turn off
B. take on
C. get over
D. keep up with
61. He did not particularly want to play any competitive sport.
A. use up
B. do with
C. take up
D. go on
62. I am tired because I went to bed late last night.
A. stayed up
B. kept off
C. put out
D. brought up
63. If I get this report finished I will knock _______ early and go to the pub for some drink.
64. Boy! _______ away all your toys and go to bed right now.
65. I have been trying to ring him up all day and I could not ______ through.
66. The water supply of the building was ______ off because the pipes burst.
67. Did your son pass the university entrance examination?
A. make up
B. get along
C. go up
D. get through
68. Frankly speaking, your daughter does not take _______ you at all.
69. I would be grateful if you kept the news _______ yourself. Do not tell anyone about it.
70. My husband spends far more time helping our three kids _____ homework and studying for tests than
71. My husband and I take turns cleaning _____ the kitchen depending ____ who gets home from work
A. away / to
B. from / in
C. up / on
D. with / for
72. The efforts for the advancement of women have resulted _____ several respectively achievement in
73. I couldn't make out what he had talked about because I was not used to his accent.
51. The firefighters fought the blaze while the crowd was looking on it.
74. I cannot believe Peter and Mary ________ up last week. They have been married for almost fifteen
years. I hope
they get back together.
75. It took us over twelve hours to hike over the mountain. By the time we got back to our campsite, I was
completely ____ out.
76. The meeting didn’t …………….. until late.
A. end up
B. break up
C. come about
D. fall through
77. The hotel didn’t …………….. my expectations.
A. come up to
B. add up to
C. get up to
D. come down to
78. You should always have an alternative plan to …………….
A. bring about
B. ask after
C. feel up to
D. fall back on
79. When I took I got over the business, I got more than I …………….
A. ask after
B. bargained for
C. drew up
D. came in for
80. At first Tim insisted he was right, but then began to ………….
A. back down
B. follow up
C. drop off
D. break up