Date: 24 / 12 / 08 Unit: Nine; Period: 57
A. OBJECTIVES: By the end of the lesson, Ss will be able to:
I. Knowledge: - Develop extensive listening skills as listening for specific information and
listening for general information.
II. Skills: - Listening, Speaking
I. Settlement (2'): Check Ss' attendance
II. Checking (5'): Call on 2 Ss to act out the previous dialogue
III. New lesson: Part C: LISTENING
TEACHER'S ACTIVITIES STUDENTS' ACTIVITIES
I. Warm up (5'): Competition Game-Word Search
(to teach vocab and lead Ss to the topic)
- Divide the class into groups of 10 and introduce the
game: The groups should generate as many words
related to telephone as possible in 5 minutes.
- Call Ss to write their words on the board
- Introduce the topic of the listening
- Work in groups and generate words
related to telephone in 5 minutes.
- Write their words on the board:
+ Dial, cell phone, landline phone, mobile
phone, network, coverage, digit, fixed
telephone, hand phone, number,
subscriber, fee, international calls, local
calls, long distance calls, telephone bill,
text, message, voice mail, hang up, hold,
receiver, i phone.
II. Before-listening (8')
- Ask Ss to discuss this questions in groups of 3-4:
“Do you think more and more people are using cell
phones in Vietnam nowadays? Why?”
- Call on some Ss to give their answers an comments
on the answers
+ Commune (n):
+ Communal (a)
+ Capacity (n):
+ Digit (n)
+ Upgrade (v):
- Help Ss to pronounce the words above and the words
given in the book.
- Check that Ss know the meaning of these words.
- Read aloud first or play the tape and ask Ss to repeat
in chorus and individually.
- Discuss this questions in groups
- More and more people are using cell
phones in Vietnam nowadays because:
+ Cell phones become cheaper and come
in a wider variety of colour and styles.
+ There are more telecommunication
companies, e.g. Viettel, Vinaphone, Army
Telecommunication , etc. So competition
is greater, which means better service.
+ There are many plans that custumers can
choose from: prepaid, subscription.
+ No subscription, no connection fee
* Listen and take notes
+ công suất, khả năng
+ nâng cấp
- Pronounce the words in chorus
- Repeat in chorus and individually
III. While-listening (15')
TASK 1: - Get Ss to read through the statements
carefully and work out what information they need to
concentrate on while listening
- Get Ss to read the options in each statement carefully
and underline the words that make them different.
- Play the tape twice for Ss to listen
- Get Ss to find a partner to check their answers with.
- Call on some Ss to give their answers
- Check the answers with the whole class.
- Play the tape one or two more times and pause at the
answers for them to catch.
TASK 2: - Ask Ss to try to answer the questions with
the things they remember from the previous times of
- Encourage Ss to read through all the questions,
identify the information they need to look for in each
- Play the tape again for Ss to listen and answer the
questions. Encourage them to note down the answers.
- Get Ss to work in pairs and check their answers. T
should play the tape again and pause at difficult points
if many Ss cannot complete the task.
- Call on some Ss to give their answers
- Elicit feedback from other Ss:
- Read through the statements carefully
and work out what information they need
to concentrate on while listening
- Read the options in each statement
carefully and underline the words that
make them different.
- Listen to the tape carefully
- Find a partner to check their answers
- Give their answers:
1. B; 2. D; 3. C; 4. D; 5. C
- Listen and check
- Try to listen again carefully
- Try to answer the questions with the
things they remember from the previous
times of listening.
- Read through all the questions, identify
the information they need to look for in
- Listen and answer the questions.
- Work in pairs and check their answers
- Give their answers
2. There were only 140,000 telephones
3. In 1996, the fixed telephones number
were changed from six to seven digits in
HN and HCM city as well as five to six
digits other provinces
4. In 2001
5. There are 6,014 communal post offices
IV. After-listening (6'):
- Ask Ss to work in groups to talk summarize the main
ideas with some cues
- Go around to check offer help
- Call on some Ss to present their summary.
- Listen and take note of their errors, then provide
corrective feedback after that.
- Work in groups
- Present their summary.
- Take note
IV. Consolidation (3’) - Ask Ss to summarize the main point of the lesson
V. Homework (1’): - Ask Ss to learn by heart all new words and the main ideas and
prepare Part D - Writing