Gia sư Thành Được
Choose the correct answer.
1. This is the second time I ___________ that song.
A. am hearing
B. have heard
2. Hello, I ___________about your advertisement in the newspaper.
A. Have been calling
B. am calling
D. have called
3. John _________ on a bit of weight lately, and he is trying to lose it.
B. is putting
C. has put
D. has been putting
4. The new neighbors __________their house. It looks nice.
B. had painted
C. were painting
D. have painted
5. Fred_________ me yesterday that they’re professional athletes.
B. has told
C. was telling
D. had told
6. Apparently, he ________them since he was a child.
B. is knowing
C. has known
D. has been knowing
7. I __________for my sunglasses since noon, but I can’t find them.
A. Am looking
C. have looked
D. have been looking
8. When the children __________home, it was obvious that they had been playing in mud.
B. were arriving
C. had arrived
D. had been arriving
9. Michael _________in the queue to buy a ticket for the train when he heard a strange voice.
B. was waiting
C. had waited
D. was going to wait
10. The thieves ___________houses for two years before they were finally caught.
A. Broke into
B. were breaking into C. had been breaking into
D. have been breaking into
11. As time goes by, he ___________more and more eccentric.
B. is becoming
C. has become
D. has been becoming
12. Kathy can’t go shopping with me next Saturday morning. She _________a French lesson.
B. is going to have
C. will have
D. will be having
13. I __________the living room by the time Dad comes home. He __________so surprised.
A. Will paint/will be
B. will be painting/is C. will have painted/will be
D. will have painted/is
14. It’s the coldest winter we ___________in Greece.
A. Ever experience
B. ever experienced
C. were ever experiencing
D. have ever experienced
15. When he was younger, he __________ the cinema every week.
A. Was used to going
B. used to go
C. was going
D. had gone
16. They ___________for a mile when they __________that someone _______missing.
A. Had walked/ had realized/ was
B. had been walking/ realized/ had been
C. had been walking/ realized/ was
D. had walked/ had realized/ had been
17. As part of my job, I _________ abroad a lot, so I ________to improve my English.
A. Travel/ need
B. am travelling/ need C. am travelling/ am needing
D. travel/ am needing
18. I __________at my mother’s house this week because I __________my house painted.
A. Sleep/ have
B. am sleeping/ have C. sleep/ am having
D. am sleeping/ am having
19. I __________ you should buy him a tie. He _________ to dress formally.
A. Am thinking/ likes
C. think/ is liking
D. am thinking/ has liked
20. As a teenager, I ___________things my parents __________ of.
Gia sư Thành Được
A. Would do/ didn’t approve
B. used to do/ weren’t approving
C. used to do/ didn’t approve
D. would do/ weren’t approving
21. “Hurry up! We’re waiting for you. What’s taking you so long?”
“I __________ for an important phone call. Go ahead and leave without me.”
B. will wait
C. am waiting
D. have waited
22. Robert is going to be famous some day. He ________in three movies already.
~ I’m sure he’ll be a star.
A. Has been appearing B. had appeared
C. has appeared
23. Where’s Polly? ~She ___________.
A. Is in her room studying
B. in her room is studying
C. studies in her room
D. has in her room studied
24. Hello? Alice? This is Jeff. How are you? ~ Jeff? What a coincidence! I __________about you
when the phone rang.
A. Was just thinking
B. just thought
C. have just been thinking D. was just thought
25. What __________about the new simplified tax? ~It’s more confusing than the old one.
A. Are you thinking
B. do you think
C. have you thought D. have you been thinking
26. When is Mr. Fields planning to retire? ~ Soon, I think. He ________here for a long time. He’ll
probably retire next year or the year after that.
B. had been working C. has been working
D. is working
27. Why did you buy all this sugar and chocolate? ~ I _________ a delicious dessert for dinner
B. will make
C. am going to make D. will have made
28. Let’s go! What’s taking you so long? ~ I’ll be there as soon as I ____________my keys.
B. will find
D. am finding
29. Next week when there _________ a full moon, the ocean tides sill be higher.
A. Is being
C. will be
D. will have been
30. While I _________ TV last night, a mouse ran across the floor.
C. was watching
D. am watching
31. Fish were among the earliest forms of life. Fish ___________on earth for ages and ages.
B. are existing
D. have existed
32. The phone __________constantly since Jack announced his candidacy for president this morning.
A. Has been ringing
C. had rung
D. had been ringing
33. The earth ___________on the sun for its heat and light.
A. Is depend
C. has depended
34. I don’t feel good. I ___________home from work tomorrow.
A. Am staying
C. will have stayed
35. Today there are weather satellites that beam down information about the earth’s atmosphere. In the
last two decades, space exploration ____________great contributions to weather forecasting.
A. Is making
B. has made
36. On July 20 , 1969, Astronaut Neil Armstrong ___________ down onto the moon, the first person
ever to set foot on another celestial body.
A. Was stepping
C. has stepped
D. was step
37. The plane’s departure was delayed because of mechanical difficulties. When the weary passengers
finally boarded the aircraft, many were annoyed and irritable because they _______ in the airport
for three and a half hours.
A. Are waiting
B. were waiting
C. have been waiting D. had been waiting
Gia sư Thành Được
38. If coastal erosion continues to take place at the present rate in another fifty years, this beach
A. Doesn’t exist
B. isn’t going to exist C. isn’t existing
D. won’t be existing
39. Homestead High School’s football team _________a championship until last season, when the
new coach led them to take first place in their league.
A. Has never won
B. is never winning
C. had never been winning
D. had never won
40. To be able to qualify as an interpreter, many years of intensive language study are required for
non-native speakers. By the end of this year, Chen ___________English for three years, but he will
still need more training and experience before he masters the language.
A. Will be studying
B. has studied
C. will have been studying
D. has been studying
41. In our hospital, patients ___________ every morning.
A. Are examined
B. have examined
C. can examine
D. were examining
42. I ______________in Can Tho for 18 years, but now I’m living in Ho Chi Minh city.
A. Have lived
D. have been living
43. I wondered why he ____________ his job.
A. Has changed
C. used to change
D. had changed
44. The department store _____________ by the Johnson for many years.
A. Has been run
B. is run
D. has run
45. Kate __________ 10 comedies this summer.
A. Has watched
B. had watched
C. will have watched D. watched
46. The number of footballers __________ for the last ten years.
A. Has increased
B. was increasing
C. have increased
D. were increasing
47. Don’t worry! We ___________for you at 6 o’clock tomorrow.
A. Will wait
B. will be waiting
D. are waiting
48. Mary ___________the country by the time this letter reaches her.
A. Is going to leave
B. will leave
C. is leaving
D. will have left
49. By this time next year, my father __________ here for 25 years.
A. Are going to work
B. will be working
C. will have been working D. will work
50. Tim ___________in three movies already. I think he’ll be a star some day.
A. Had appeared
B. has appeared
C. was appearing
D. is appearing
51. They ___________the door. No one can get in now.
A. Have locked
B. had locked
52. The existence of many stars in the sky ________ us to suspect that there may be life on another
A. Have led
53. They ________the town hall for the past three years in fact, but they ________it yet.
A. Built/ hadn’t finished
B. had built/ didn’t finish
C. have been building/ haven’t finished
D. have built/ weren’t finishing
54. When I met Jim, he __________ from his university already.
B. has graduated
C. had graduated
D. was graduating