Unit 1 :
BACK TO SCHOOL
I Choose the correct answer:
1 When you are introduced to someone, you say, ________ .
A Nice to see you
B Nice to meet you
C What do you do?
2 I am a new student . – So ________ .
A do I
B I am
C am I
3 She likes playing badminton. She ________ does some aerobics.
4 She is quite different ________ her friend. She looks shy and reticent.
5 I don’t have ________ friends because I am new here.
6 Jane’s house is a lot ________ than mine.
7 Hoa is ________ because she has no friends in her new school.
8 When we are away from home for a long time, we ________ our folk.
9 Lan lives ________ 25, Phan Chu Trinh Street.
10 She has ________ friends in her neighbourhood.
A a lot
11 ________ does Hoa have only a few friends here? – Because she is new.
12 Can you tell me the ________ between Hue and Da Nang? – About 100 km.
- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - Unit 2
I Choose the correct answer.
1. If you forget her telephone number, look it up in the _______ .
C call box
2. She’ll give a party and it will _______ about two hours.
3. I am at work now. I’ll be back soon. Can you wait _______ I get home?
4. _______ is your address? – 30 Le Loi Stree.
5. _______ is the last month of the year.
6. May is the month that comes _______ June.
7. I don’t have _______ stamps. Can you give me some?
8. Hoa is _______ because she is new at the school.
9. _______ is your date of birth? – July 15 .
10. In a _______ year February has 29 days instead of 28.
11. How old _______ on your next birthday?
A will you be
B you be
C you are
12. December is the _______ and the last month of the year.
II Put the verb in brackets in the correct form or tense
1. Would you like _______ something to drink? (have)
2. You don’t have to phone him. He _______ soon. (come)
3. Come and play a game of tennis. – What time _______ we _______? (meet)
4. Please keep quiet. I _______ . (study)
III Rearrange the sentences to make a telephone conversation.
1. Hello. Is that Nga?
2. OK. I’ll tell her . Goodbye.
3. Please tell her I’ll call again after seven.
4. No. This is Nga’s sister, Huong, Who’s calling?
5. When will she be back?
6. This is Hoa. Can I speak to Lan, please?
7. Sorry. She’s not in at the moment.
8. Hello. This is 831 645.
9. I have no idea. Would you like to leave a message?
____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
IV Read this passage and fill each gap with only one word.
A year, or a calendar year form 1 January to 31 December, has 365 or 366 days, which are divided into
twelve (1) ______ . The (2) ______ month of the year is January and the last month is (3) ______ . February has
twenty-eight days, but in a (4) ______ year, it has twenty-nine days. April, June, September and November
have thirty days. All the rest have thirty-one (5) ______ .
- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -
I Choose the correct answer.
1. She look like you. She ______ your sister.
A must be
2. It is easy ______ this test.
B to do
3. Nam is in the ______ . He is taking a shower.
4. Hoa sits in the first row, but Lien doesn’t. She sits ______ Hoa.
5. The first question is easy, but the rest ______ difficult.
6. What ______ ! Thanks a lot.
A a nice present
B a present nice
7. Jane lives ______ farm with her uncle and aunt.
8. Linda loves ______ to music.
9. A doctor ______ care of sick people in the hospital.
C next to
C nice a present
10. I think this apartment s nice. It is the ______ suitable for us to live in.
11. Can I sit here ? – Yes, it’s ______ .
A no one
12 She studies the best ______ her classmates.
II Put the words in the box in the suitable groups
sofa, dishwasher, television, dryer, sink, tub, shower, refrigerator, armchair, electric stove
Living room : ____________________________________________________________________________
Bathroom : ____________________________________________________________________________
III Use the words in the box to write the answer for “ What’s his or her job?” The first has been done for
a fireman, a doctor, a farmer, an artist, a journalist
1. He earns living by farming
He is a farmer
2. He puts out fire
3. She collects and writes news stories for newspaper, magazines, radio or
4. He makes pictures by using panit, pencils, pens …
5. She treats people who are ill or injured in hospital
IV Write the comparative and superlatives for these adjectives.
V Read this passage and fill in each gap with one word
Hoa’s family live in the (1) ______ . Her father is a farmer. He grows rice, vegetable and (2) ______ cattle,
such as cows, buffalo and pigs. Her mother is a homemaker. She (3) ______ the housework takes care of the
family and sometimes helps on the farm. Both her father and mother are busy from morning till night. In her
free time, Hoa helps her parents (4) ______ the chores around the house. She loves farm work, too. Life ona
farm is hard and busy, but in return, they enjoy fresh air and the quiet of the country.
- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - Unit 4
I. Choose the correct answer.
1. School in the USA are not quite the same as schools in Viet Nam. They are different ______ ours in many
2. We have a ______ break between classes.
A 15 minutes
C 15 minute
3. My friend Ba is very good ______ electronics.
4. I think Math is ______ , but fun.
5. They go to the ______ o have a snack.
C art club
6. I have two close friends. One loves Math. ______ loves English.
A The other
7. Where are the reference books? – The shelves ______ the left have the books you want.
8. If you are interested in English books, you can find them______ the back of the library
9. There is a reading table ______ the middle of the room.
10. That bix ______ 12 crayons.
C there are
11 He thanked me and I said, ______ .
B Thank you
C You’re welcome
12 Lan is ______ a magazine in the library at the moment.
II Put the verbs in correct tenses.
1. Please don’t talk. We (learn) ______ our lesson.
2. Lan (call) ______you soon. She (want) (ask) ______ you about the homework.
3. Our school day (end) ______ at five in the afternoon.
4. Nam (not play) ______. He is in the library reading a book.
III Read and answer the questions :
School in the USA are a little different from schools in Viet Nam. Usually, there is no school uniform.
Classes start at 8.30 each morning and the school day ends at 3.30 or 4 o’clock. There are no lessons on
Students have one hour for lunch and two 20-minute breaks each day. One break is in the morning, the
other is in the afternoon. Students often go to the cafeteria and buy snacks and drinks at lunchtime. The most
popular after-school activities are baseball, football and basketball.
1. Do school children in the USA wear uniform?
2. What time do classes start each morning?
3. Do school children go to school on Saturday?
4. How long does each break last?
5. What sports do they often play after school?
6. Do they go to school in the morning or in the afternoon?
V Write the words for the time in two ways
It’s five ten
It’s ten past five.
- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - Unit 5
WORK AND PLAY
I Choose the correct answer.
1. Lan is ______ some experiments now.
2. Most of my friends are interested ______ computer science
3. My friend Ba ______ .
A likes best Math
B likes Math best
C best likes Math
4. You say 7.15 ______ .
A fifteen past seven
B quarter past seven
C seven point fifteen
5. What subject is Nam good ______? – Physics.
6. ______ are in the same class.
A Hoa and I
B I and Hoa
C I with Hoa
7. Boys ______ girls enjoys playing hide and seek.
A such as
C as well as
8. They ______ part in different after-school activities.
9. Jane is 13. I am 13. Jane and I are the same ______.
10. It’s a ______ CD player. You can take it with you wherever you go.
11. We need a ______ to skip.
A a rope
B an atlas
C a calculator
12. The ______ school will join in the Field Day.
C all of
II Fill one word in each gap.
1. I want to learn ______ to use a computer.
2. They play games as well as ______ rope during recess.
3. Do they go to a junior high school? – No, they go to a ______ high school.
4. People all over the world know this rock group. They are famous ______ .
III Put the verbs given in the correct tense of form.
1. Tom! Jane is here. She (wait) ______ for you.
2. What you (do) ______ at recess tomorrow?
3. Linda (have) ______ English on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
4. Wait here. Ba (come) ______ in five minutes.
5. They practice (speak) ______ English with their friends.
IV Read the text.
We are in a junior high school. At school, we study various subjects. Many students , mostly boys love Math.
They like working with numbers and shapes. Most girls like Literature. They love good poems. We must
study all subjects because we know that all of them are important. Most of us think English is interesting to
learn. To some students , English is easy. To others, English is quite hard. It doesn’t matter whether it is easy
or hard. The problem is that we must try out hardest to study. We will know how to study when we receive
the report cards.
1 Answer the question.
a. Why must we study all subjects?
b. What do the students think of English?
c. What about you? Do you think English is easy or difficult?
d. Where can we see the result of our study?
2 Choose the best answer.
a. “ Many students mostly boys love Math.” Mostly means
b. “ At school, we study various subjects” Various means
- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - Unit 6
I Choose the correct answer.
1. I feel ______ . – Why don’t you go on an outing or do something interesting?
2. He is very ______ . He often plays football or basket ball in his free time.
3. The members of the stamp club ______ together twice a month and talk about their stamps.
4. This question is easy. ______ a child can understand it.
5. Tom can play ______ very well.
B the guitar
C a guitar
6. My brother often helps me ______ my English.
7. Thank you very much ______ me. I’ll come with the guitar and we’ll enjoy our selves.
A for inviting
B you invite
C about your inviting
8. How often do you ______ the shopping?
9. My parents are deeply concerned ______ my studies.
10. My mother works ______ a nurse in a hospital nearby.
11. Please tell me which class ______ in.
A is he
B he is
12. He is good ______ at English. He always gets high marks in his English tests.
II Match a sentence in A with a sentence in B
1. What should we do now
a. Good idea
2. What your favourite pastime?
b. I’m sorry. I can’t.
3. Let’s rehearse the play!
c. What about listening to some music?
4. Would you like to come for dinner
d. I like collecting stamps.
III Put the verbs in the box in the correct tense or form.
keep, make, listen. attend
1. Jane _________ to some music at the moment.
2. he _________ the concert tonight.
3. He tries _________ fit by taking exercise every morning.
4. Tom is in his room. He _________ a model of a plane.
IV Read this text
People are living longer so there are more elderly people. Many young people are doing are doing
community service. They help elderly people. They do their shopping. They do their housework. They clean
their yards. They even paint their house.
Some young people work as hospital volunteers. In America, they are called “ candy stripers” because of the
striped pink and white uniform they wear. Other are concern about the environment and work on
neighbourhood clean-up campaigns.
1. Answer the question
a. What do volunteers do to help elderly people?
b. As well as helping the elderly people, what else they do?
2. Choose the best answer.
a. People are living longer so there are more elderly people. Elderly means
b. Others are concern about the environment. Concerned about means
A afraid of
B interested in
C bored with
3 Complete this sentence.
Hospital volunteers wear striped pink and white uniform, so
- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - Unit 7
THE WORLD OF WORK
I Choose the correct answer.
1. Nam likes ______ TV. It’s her favourite pastime.
2. My father works 30 hours a week while my mother works 45 hours a week. My mother works ______
hours then my father.
3. I ______ it interesting to write letters to my pen pal.
4. My pen pal wants to know ______ learn and work.
A how we
B how do
C how we do
5. Easter and the Fourth of July are among ______ important vacations in the United States.
C the most
6. She is going to ______ her 14 birthday in two days.
7. If you don’t hurry you’ll be late ______ school.
8. It you want to get a high mark in your exam, you should ______ your lessons for the tests.
9. ______ Lan, Hoa is a very good student.
B Such as
10. Is she a ______ student? - No. She work very hard.
11. Tom and his friends are now ______ vacation in Da Lat.
12 Many people say that this movie is interesting. ______ , I don’t like it.
II Rearrange the jumbles words to make sentences.
1. 45 / Each / lasts / period / for / minutes.
2. get / It / me / 20 / to / to / minutes / takes school.
3. We / students / fewer / than / vacations / have / American.
4. My / five / father / hours / a works / day.
III Fill in each gap with a suitable words in the box.
1. There are too ______ mistakes in this essay.
2. I am very busy. I work ______ hours than them.
3. Spend ______ time playing video games.
4. There are ______ tourists this year than last year because their service is not very good.
- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - Unit 8
I Choose the correct answer.
1. In the USA ______ form medicine, a drugstore also sells cosmetics.
2. ______ the first corner on the right then go ahead, You’ll see the store.
3. If you want to go to the post office, ______ the first street on the left. The post office is next to the bank.
4. A book cost 8,000 dong. You give the storekeeper a ten thousand-dong bill. You get back two-thousanddog ______ .
5. How much is the pen? – 4000 dong – All right. I’ll______ it.
6. How much is that ______? – That’s $ 25 sir.
C all together
7. Phong wants to send a letter to London. He needs to buy some stamps for ______ mail.
8. I’d like ______ there by train. How long does it take?
A to travel
9. My penpal ______ me about his life in America.
10. I need a ______ dong stamp for a local letter.
A four hundreds
B four-hundredC four hundred
11. This present is for you, dear. - ______ nice!
12. I can see the bookstore through the front door. It’s ______ my house.
B next to
II Put the verb in the correct tense or form.
1. I need ______ a stamp for overseas mail. (buy)
2. Please tell me how ______ to the stadium. (get)
3. Nam is going to the post office. He ______ ______ a letter . (want / send)
III. Fill each gap with a noun of place.
1. You go to the ________ to watch a football match.
2. You go to the ________ to buy dictionary.
3. You go to the ________ to see a film.
4. You go to the ________ to have a meal.
5. You go to the ________ to mail a letter
6. When on vacation, you go to a ________ to buy some gifts for others.