CHUN ĐỀ : PHRASAL VERBS (CỤM ĐỘNG TỪ )
A/ Trong tiếng Anh hiện đại, người ta hay dùng một hay hai particle (giới từ hay
trạng từ ) sau động từ để có được sự khác nhau về ý nghóa. Ví dụ: - give away =
give sth to someone/anyone ( Cho ai , tặng ai cái gì )
= to make known sth that sb wants to keep secret ( thổ lộ, tiết lộ ra, tố giác
- give up = abandon (a habit or attempt) ( từ bỏ moat thói quen,
moat nổ lực …)
- look after = take care of ( Chăm sóc)
- look for = search for, seek ( tìm kiếm )
- look out = beware ( Hãy cẩn thận, coi chừng )
B/ Có hai loại :
Verbs + Particle + Object
Verbs + Particle + Object
( inseparable Phr. Verbs)
Verbs + Pronoun
+ particle +
(on , off, up, down, in, out, away)
a/ intransitive phrasal verbs ( không có object)
EX: The plane will take off at 15:00.
b/ Transitive phrasal verbs ( có object – danh từ hoặc đại từ )
+ Inseparable transitive phrasal verbs ( Pharsal verbs khơng thể tách ra –
Object ln ở sau particle)
Ex: We are looking for my key. ( Wrong: We are looking my
key for )
+ Separable transitive phrasal verbs ( Pharsal verbs có thể tách ra )
Phrasal verbs thường có thể tách được khi particles là: on , off,
up, down, in, out, away
Nếu Object là danh từ, nó có thể đặt ở sau hay giữa phrasal
Ex: Remember to turn off the lights when going out.
Remember to turn the lights off when going out.
Nếu Object là một đại từ (me, us, it, them, you him, her
…) thi nó ln được đặt ở giữa phrsal verb )
Ex: Please turn it off.
( Wrong : Please turn off it )
1. take after (sb) : look like; resemble :
13. bring (sb) up ( often in passive): to
care for a child, teaching him or her how
to behave, etc: chăm sóc , dạy dỗ
2. take sth/sb on: (of a bus, plane or ship)
Ex: * She brought up five children.
to allow sb/sth to enter: cho ai lên xe, tàu …
* He was brought up by his aunt.
3. take up: learn or start doing sth: bắt đầu
14. take sth down: to write sth down: a/
làm điều gì …
4. take off: a/ to remove sth, especially a
Ex: * Reporters took down every
piece of clothing from your/sb's body: cởi
word of his speech
bỏ ( mủ , quần áo) ≠ put on
b/ to leave the ground and begin to fly :
b/ to remove a structure: tháo dỡ ( máy bay) cất cánh
Ex: * The students are taking the tent
5. take sth off sth: to remove an amount of down before leaving.
money or a number of marks, points, etc. in 15. wake sb up : làm ai tỉnh táo / đánh
order to reduce the total: rút bớt (tiền,
điểm ) cho ít đi
Ex: A cold shower will soon wake you
6. take (sth) in : thu nạp, hiểu, nhớ được
16. Take advantage of : tận dụng , lợi
7. Take part in: participate in: to be
involved in: tham gia
Ex: * We took full advantage of the hotel
8. Take sth out: vay tiền của ngân hàng
facilities. * She took advantage of the
9. take sth away: gỡ bỏ, làm mất buồn
children's absence to tidy their rooms.
phiền đau đớn
17. give up : [nopassive] to stop doing or
10. take over: đảm nhận vò trí ( của ai), đảm having sth: từ bỏ Ex: She didn't give up
trách công việc
work when she had the baby.
11. take place: diễn ra, xảy ra theo kếâ
18. go on: tiếp tục
19. go up ≠ go down: lên giá ≠ xuống giá
12. put up with : tolerate: chòu đựng
20. go after sb: to chase or follow sb:
Ex: I'm not going to put up with their
chạy theo; đuổi theo
smoking any longer.
52. stay on : tiếp tục làm … = keep on;
21. go off : + nổ ; vang lên Ex: The bomb
went off in a crowded street. + đi làm
53. fall behind sb/sth : không theo kòp
điều gì Ex: He went off to get a drink.
mức độ với ai, rớt lại phía sau … Ex:
+ thực phẩm, nước uồng hư hỏng; chất
She soon fell behind the leaders.
lượng xấu đi
Ex: You shouldn’t drink it. 54. give in (to sb / sth) : đầu hàng , chòu
It goes off.
22. go out : tắt ( đèn lửa)
23. go away: đi xa ( qua 01 đêm trở lên )
24. go over : ôn lại bài; xem lại, kiểm tra
25. look after sb / sth: chăm sóc
26. look up : tra tìm từ , vấn đề gì trong tự
điền, trong sách .
27. look up to sb: to admire or respect sb :
ngưỡng mộ ai
28. look up at sth: ngước nhìn lên cái gì
( V+ pre.)
29. put on: mặc quần áo, đeo, mang
30. put sth out : Bỏ … ra ngoài - Ex: I put
the rubbish out.
31. put off= delay: hoãn lại
Ex: He keeps putting off going to the
32. turn ( sth ) on : mở đèn , …..
33. turn (sth) off : tắt ……
34. turn up: xuất hiện , đến
Ex: Do you think many people will turn
35. turn down: refuse: từ chối, bác bỏ
khơng xrm xét đơn …
: vặn nhỏ âm
thanh, thiết bị ….
Ex: Why did she turn down your
Please turn the volume down.
36. try sb / sth out : thử nghiệm, dùng thử
xem có tốt hay không. Ex: They're trying out
a new presenter for the show.
37. try sth on : mặc thử, mang thử xem có
Ex: Try the shoes on before you buy
Ex: The rebels (quân nổi loạn) were
forced to give in.
55. wait up : hãy chậm lại, chờ …
Ex: Wait up – you're walking too fast for
56. wait up for sb: thức khuya chờ ai.
Ex: I'll be back very late so don't wait up
57. grow up : trưởng thành
58. watch out ( for sth / sb): coi chừng !
Ex: Watch out! There's a car coming!
59. fill sth in (out): điền đơn
60. break down : máy móc hư; thất bại
Ex: The telephone system has broken
* The car broke down on the freeway.
*Negotiations between the two sides
have broken down.
61. set off ( for) : to begin a journey: khởi
hành chuyến đi
Ex: We set off for London just after ten.
62. drop out (of sth) : bỏ cuộc: He drooped
out of the English class . * She started an
engineering degree but dropped out after
only a year.
63. show sth / sb off: khoe khoang
Ex: She wanted to show off her new
dress at the party.
64. cross sth out : gạch bỏ chữ sai
65. close sth down : ngừng hoạt động ( kinh
Ex: All the firms around here were closed
down in the 1980s.
66. move in / into sth: bắt đầu chuyển vào
(nhà mới) để ở
67. doze off : go to sleep: đi ngủ 3
38. hold sth / sb up : ( often passive): làm
hoãn , cản trở sự tiến triển , di chuyển …
Ex: *An accident is holding up traffic.
39. get over sth: overcome: vượt qua, thắng
Ex: She can’t get over her shyness.
40. catch up with : bắt kip, đuổi theo kip
41. keep up with: theo kip ai, nắm bắt kip
thông tin; vẫn tiếp tục liên lạc với ai
42. keep sth up: tiếp tục duy trì mức độ
Ex: The high cost of raw materials is
keeping prices up.
43. cool sb off / down: làm cho ai bình tónh
44. speak up : nói to lên
45. Bring sth out: make sth noticable
Ex: A crisis can bring out the best and the
worst in people.
46. bring sth back: to remind : gợi nhớ
47. Bring sb in sth / bring in sth : to make
or earn a particular amount of money:
kiếm tiền, thu nhập
Ex:* His freelance work brings him in about
$20000 a year.
48. bring sth about: to make sth happen
= cause: gây ra
Ex: What brought about the change in his
49. bring sth off : to succeed in doing sth
difficult: Đạt được thành công ( qua khó
Ex: * It was a difficult task but we
brought it off.
The goalie brought off a superb
50. wash up / wash sth up: to wash plates,
glasses, … after a meal: rửa chén
Ex: She dozed off in front of the fire.
68. see sb off: tiễn ai đi xa
69. give sth away to sb : tặng cái gì cho ai
70. give sth/sb away: tiết lộ bí mật ; tiết lộ
tâm tư của ai
Ex: She gave away state secrets to the
Her eyes when she said gave her
71. give sb back sth / give sth back to sb : trả gì
72. hand sth in ( to sb): giao nộp
Ex: Please give your work in before
73. turn round/ around : quay lại
Ex: Turn around and let me look at your
74. make oneself / sb up: trang điểm
Ex: She always makes up when going to the
75. make sth up: tạo nên,nghó ra điều gì;bòa
ra câu chuyện
Ex: *They made up a little poem and wrote
it in the card.
*Women make up 40 per cent of the
* She always makes up a story for her
make sth out : + to write out or complete
a form or document: viết ra hoặc điền
Ex: * He made out a cheque for
+ make sth out:to understand sth; to see the
reasons for sth:
Ex: I can't make out what
calm (sb / sth) down : bỡnh túnh laứm ai
show sb round: hửụựng daón ai thaờm
Ex: Has anyone shown you round yet?
78. try sth on: thửỷ - Try the shoes on before
you buy them.
B. BI TP
Exercise I/ Choose the most appropriate preposition to fill in each blank.
up after on
1. Id like to listen to some music. Would you please turn the radio.................?
2. Please try to give....... smoking. It is not good for your health.
3. Dont put............. your homework anymore. The deadline is coming.
4. When I was young, my uncle looked........... me because my parents were abroad.
5. Before you enter the class, you need to fill ........this form so that we can have your
Exercise II. Choose one of the following phrasal verbs to complete the sentneces
1. We'll buy a smaller house when the children_____and left home.
2. The computer isn't working - it________this morning.
3. It was not problem. We_________his number in the telephone book.
_________the cats when we go away on holiday?
5. I ____________ where he lived by checking in the local library.
6. My headaches have been much better since I____drinking coffee.
7. 'What____________here? What are you doing?'
8. I_____________ their offer because they weren't going to pay me enough money
Exercise III- Choose from the four options given(marked A,B,C or D) one best
answer to complete each sentence.
1. The driver skidded and .a dog.
B. ran in to
C. ran after
D. ran over
2. Arent you going to the dressbefore you buy it?
A. try/ X
B. try/ up
C. try/ on
D. try /in
3. Im sorry, sir. But youve already worn these dress. Thats why we cantit..
A. take/ back
B. take /after
C. take/ in
D. take/ again
4. Are you telling the truth? Or are you . this story.
B. making up
C. making for
5. Perhaps important supplies of food and minerals were suddenly…………………….
A. cut out
B. cut off
C. cut down
D. cut back
6. His alarm clock is always set for six o'clock. He arises at the same time every day.
A. turns off
B. gets up
C. puts on
D. puts in
7. She telephoned her friend to tell him about the meeting. They decided to drive there
A. turned on
B. took off
C. called up
D .called on
Some old friends of mine visited us last night.
A. called on
B. called up
C. wore out
D. wore in
9. Fortunately, Marie is associating well with her new co-workers.
A. calling on
B. talking over
C. getting along with
D. calling in
Exercise IV. Rewrite each sentence so that it contains the phrasal verb in
brackets. You may have to change the form.
1. Peter is just like his father! (take after)
2. Quite by chance, Brenda met Philip at the station, (run into)
3. Tina's car stopped working on the way to Scotland, (break down)
Tina's car ____________________________________________________
4. Ruth's party has been postponed until next month, (put off)
Ruth's party ______________________________________________________
5. It would be a good idea to stop drinking coffee, (give up)
It would be a good idea ________________________________________________.
6. I saw their number in the phone directory, (look up)
7. We offered them £250,000 for the house but they refused our offer, (turn down)
We offered them £250,000 for the
8. It took me a long time to recover from my illness, (get over)
It took me_________________________________________________
9. I’m thinking about my next holiday with pleasure. (look)
I’m looking forward ________________________________________
10. You don’t need to wear your rain coat. it is so hot here. ( take)
You can _____________________________________________