I. Tóm tắt bài giảng
1. Giới từ chỉ thời gian
a. at / on
at dawn: vào lúc bình minh, at mid night: vào lúc nửa
đêm at 6 o'clock : vào lúc 6 giờ, at (the age of ) 16: ở tuổi
on + date: e.g, on Monday, on June 1st, on Monday morning, on Christmas Day, on the
morning of the sixth (vào buổi sáng ngày mồng 6)
b. by / before
by / before + Mốc thời gian trong quá khứ →Mệnh đề chính chia quá khứ hoàn thành
by / before + Mốc trong tương lai / Thì hiện tại chỉ tương lai →Mệnh đề chính chia tương lai hoàn
by the time + Clause
- By the time I came home yesterday, the party had finished.
- By the time I am 40, I'll have lost all my hair.
- By 2030, . ................
- By the end of July, I will have finished the
before + V-ing
Before signing the contract, . ....................
Some where before: ở đâu đó trước đây, some time before: một lúc nào đó trước đây
I remember seeing him some where before.
c. on time / in time / in good time
on time: đúng giờ ; in time: kịp lúc ; in good time:
I arrived at the hall in good time for the concert. (Tôi đến kịp giờ (sớm hơn một chút) buổi hòa nhạc.)
d. at the beginning (of) sth / at the end (of) sth
In the beginning, / At first, / Firstly,
In the end, / At last / Finally,
- At the beginning of the book, there is often a table of content.
- At the end there may be an index.
- In the beginning / At first / Firstly, we used hand tools. Later, we used machines.
- At first, he opposed the marriage, but in the end, he gave his consent.
e. from ... to / till / until
- Where are you from?
- Where do you come from?
f. since / for / during
since + mốc thời gian / mệnh đề trong quá khứ: kể từ khi
I have studied since July. I have studied for 6 months.
since = for: bởi vì
Mệnh đề hoặc mốc thời gian sau “since” có thể được bỏ đi khi nó đã được nhắc đến trước
đó. Ví dụ: He left school in 1999. I haven't seen him since.
for + period of time
- Last night, I slept for 3 hours.
- Ha has slept for 3 hours.
During + danh từ / cụm danh từ (During không đi với mệnh đề)
Ví dụ: during the Middle Ages (trong suốt thời trung cổ), during 1905, during the summer (trong suốt
mùa hè), during my childhood (trong suốt thời thơ ấu), during the night / all night …
“for” còn có nghĩa là cho, ví dụ:
- I bought a book for Tom.
- I went there for my summer holiday.
- ask for: yêu cầu cho
g. till / until + Mốc thời gian / Mệnh đề
- I will wait here until 2 PM.
- I will wait here until he comes back.
- I won't leave until he comes back.
- He usually pays me on Friday but last week he didn't pay me until the following Monday.
after / afterwards + Mốc thời gian / Mệnh đề
I called him and then / afterwards I came to visit him. (Tôi đã gọi điện cho anh ta và sau đó tôi đến
thăm anh ta.)
I called him and I came to visit him afterwards.
not long afterwards (không lâu sau đó ) / soon afterwards (ngay sau đó)
I called him and not long afterwards I came to visit him.
2. Một số giới từ liên quan đến chuyển động
When are you coming back to Ho Chi Minh city?
arrive in + tên thị xã , tên nước
arrive in Vietnam, Hanoi
arrive at + tên làng, nhà hàng, khác sạn
arrive at + the airport / the cross roads / the hotel
come / get to: đến một địa điểm nào đó
reach + địa điểm (không có giới từ đi kèm)
They got to the top of the mountain before sunset. →They reached the top of the mountain before
Đi bằng các phương tiện vận chuyển dùng giới từ by: by bike, by bus, by plane, by helicopter, by sea,
Đi bộ : on foot
Dùng “in” khi có sở hữu cách: I went there in Tom's car. (Tôi đi đến đó bằng xe của Tom.)
get on / get off: lên xe, xuống xe. Ví dụ: get on/ get off the train
get into / come into: vào bên trong các tòa nhà
get out of:
I tried to get out of the car before it exploded.
walk along : đi dọc theo
turn left / right: rẽ trái, phải
walk pass the church: đi bộ quá nhà thờ
down the street: cuối con đường
You will see the bank down the street. (Bạn sẽ thấy ngân hàng đó ở cuối con đường.)
opposite: đối diện; in front of: trước; behind : sau
- There is a tree in front of the house.
- There is a bank opposite my house.
- There is a lake behind my house.
II. Bài về nhà
Exercise 1. Complete the sentences. Use at on or in + the following:
about 20 minutes
the same time
21 July 1969
the Middle Ages
1 Columbus made his first voyage from Europe to America ……..
2 If the sky is clear, you can see the stars ……………………………………………………………..
3 After working hard during the day, I like to relax …………………………………………………..
4 Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon …………………………………………….
5 It's difficult to listen if everyone is speaking ……………………………………. ........................
6 Jazz became popular in the United States ……………………………………..............................
7 I'm just going out to the shop. I'll be back ……………………………………. ............................
8 (on the phone) 'Can I speak to Dan?' “I'm afraid he's not here……………………………………”
9 Many of Europe's great cathedrals were built ……………………………………........................
10 Ben is a very fast runner. He can run 100 metres ……………………………………. ...............
11 Liz works from Monday to Friday. Sometimes she also works …………………………………...
Exercise 2. Put in at, on or in.
1 Mozart was born in Salzburg in 1756.
2 I haven't seen Kate for a few days. I last saw her ………. Tuesday.
3 The price of electricity is going up ……….. October.
4 ……………….. weekends, we often go for long walks in the country.
5 I've been invited to a wedding …………. 14 February.
6 Jonathan is 63. He'll be retiring from his job ………… two years' time.
7 I'm busy just now, but I'll be with you ………… a moment.
8 Jenny's brother is an engineer, but he doesn't have a job …………. the moment.
9 There are usually a lot of parties ………. New Year's Eve.
10 I don't like driving …… night.
11 My car is being repaired at the garage. It will be ready ……… two hours.
12 The telephone and the doorbell rang ………. the same time.
13 Mary and David always go out for dinner ……… their wedding anniversary.
14 It was a short book and easy to read. I read it ……… a day.
15 ……… Saturday night I went to bed ……… midnight
16 We travelled overnight to Paris and arrived …….. 5 o'clock ………. the morning.
17 The course begins ……… 7 January and ends sometime …….. April.
18 I might not be at home ………. Tuesday morning, but I'll he there ……… the afternoon.
Exercise 3. Complete the sentences with on time or in time.
1. The bus was late this morning, but it's usually ………….
2 The film was supposed to start at 8.30, but it didn't begin ……….
3 I like to get up ….. to have a big breakfast before going to work.
4 We want to start the meeting ……… , so please don't be late.
5 I've just washed this shirt. I want to wear it this evening, so I hope it will be dry ………….
6 The train service isn't very good. The trains are rarely …….
7 I nearly missed my flight this morning. I got to the airport just ……
8 I nearly forgot that it was Joe's birthday. Fortunately I remembered …….
9 Why are you never ……. ? You always keep everybody waiting.
Exercise 4. Put in at or in.
1 I'm going away …… the end of the month.
2 It took me a long time to find a job. ………the end I got a job in a hotel.
3 Are you going away ….. the beginning of August or …… the end?
4 I couldn't decide what to buy Laura for her birthday. I didn't buy her anything ….. the end.
5 We waited ages for a taxi. We gave up …. the end and walked home.
6 I'll be moving to a new address …… the end of September.
7 We had a few problems at first, but ........... the end everything was OK.
8 I'm going away ……. the end of this week.
9 A: I didn't know what to do.
B: Yes, you were in a difficult position. What did you do ….. the end?
Exercise 5. Put in for or during.
1 It rained …. three days without stopping.
2 I fell asleep …. the film.
3 I went to the theatre last night. I met Sue ….. the interval.
4 Martin hasn't lived in Britain all his life. He lived in Brazil ….. four years.
5 Production at the factory was seriously affected ….. the strike.
6 I felt really ill last week. I could hardly eat anything …. three days.
7 I waited for you …. half an hour and decided that you weren't coming.
8 Sarah was very angry with me. She didn't speak to me …. a week.
9 We usually go out at weekends, but we don't often go out …. the week.
10 Jack started a new job a few weeks ago. Before that he was out of work …. six months.
11 I need a change. I think I'll go away …. a few days.
12 The president gave a long speech. She spoke …. two hours.
13 We were hungry when we arrived. We hadn't had anything to eat …. the journey.
14 We were hungry when we arrived We hadn't had anything to eat …. eight hours.
Exercise 6. Put in during or while.
1 We met a lot of interesting people ….. we were on holiday.
2 We met a lot of interesting people …. our holiday.
3 I met Mike …. I was shopping.
4 …… I was on holiday, I didn't read any newspapers or watch TV.
5 …… our stay in Paris, we visited a lot of museums and galleries.
6 The phone rang three times …. we were having dinner.
7 The phone rang three times ….. the night.
8 I had been away for many years. …… that time, many things had changed.
9 What did they say about me ….. I was out of the room?
10 I went out for dinner last night. Unfortunately I began to feel ill …. the meal and had to go home.
11 Please don't interrupt me …. I'm speaking.
12 There were many interruptions …. the president's speech.
13 Can you lay the table …. I get the dinner ready?
14 We were hungry when we arrived. We hadn't had anything to eat …. we were travelling.
1. in 1492
5. at the same time
9. in the Middle Ages
16. at, in
17. on, in
1. on time
2. on time
6. on time
7. in time
1. at 2. In 3. at…at
2. at night
6. in the 1920s
10. in 11 seconds
3. in the evening
7. in about 20 minutes
11. (on) Saturdays
18. on, in
3. in time
8. in time
4. on time
5. in time
4. on 21 July 1969
8. at the moment
15. on, at
6. for 7. for 8. for
GIỚI TỪ (P2)
I. Tóm tắt bài giảng
1. Giới từ chỉ địa điểm
AT + địa điểm cụ thể, xác định (specific): at school (ở trường), at work (ở nơi làm việc), at the
bridge (ở cầu), at the cross roads (ở ngã tư), at the bus stop (tại bến xe bus)
IN + a country / city / square / a forest
In the water / the river
at the sea:
IN / INTO:
come into : vào bên trong
ON / ONTO
The cat jumped onto the table. (Con mèo nhảy lên trên cái bàn.)
They stepped onto the boat. (Họ bước lên trên con thuyền.)
ABOVE / OVER / UNDER / BELOW / BENEATH
- ABOVE / OVER dùng giống nhau trong hầu hết các trường hợp.
- ON: trên bề mặt, ABOVE / OVER: trên 1 quãng.
We live above them. (Chúng tôi sống trên họ.)
The plane is flying above our heads.
As was stated above…(Như đã nói ở trên …..)
- OVER còn mang nghĩa trùm lên. Ví dụ: We put a rug over us. (Chúng tôi phủ chăn lên người.)
- BENEATH: tầng lớp, địa vị dưới
- IN / INSIDE: trong, bên trong
BETWEEN: giữa 2 vật & AMONG: dùng khi không xác định được có bao nhiêu vật
Lưu ý: Between có thể dùng được khi có nhiều hơn 2 vật
Luxembourg lies between Belgium, Germany and France.
He was happy to be among his friends again.
Không dùng “among” , “between” trong cấp so sánh, mà dùng “of all”:
Of all the studnents, he is the tallest.
Besides: Ngoài ra
I do all the cooking and besides that, I help Tom study for the exam.
Near (prep)& Near by (adj, adv)
- We study at the school near the stadium. (Chúng tôi học gần sân vận động.)
- How about having dinner at a nearby restaurant?
- How about having dinner at a restaurant nearby ?
By / with
He made the cake by hand.
He cut the cake with a knife.
You should bring a computer with you. (Bạn nên mang theo môt cái máy tính.)
2. Vị trí của giới từ
Giới từ + Động từ:
Whom are you talking to? = To whom are you talking? (Bạn đang nói chuyện với ai.)
Which drawer does he keep it in? (Anh ta giữ nó trong ngăn kéo nào.)
The man whom you are talking to is my father. = The man to whom you are talking is my
Nhắc lại: Nếu dùng “that” hoặc bỏ đại từ quan hệ đi thì không đưa giới từ “to” lên trước được.
Giới từ to / for + tân ngữ gián tiếp chỉ người
I gave him a book →I gave a book to him.
I bought him a cake. → I bought a cake for him.
But / Except: Ngoại trừ
Hay đi với các cụm : Nobody, None, nothing, nowhere
Nobody but Tom knew the way. (Không có ai trừ Tom biết đường đi.)
Nobody knew the way except Tom.
Except for / Apart from: ngoại trừ
Apart from Jane, everyone knew the answer.
You can park your car everywhere except here.
II. Bài về nhà
Exercise 1. Complete the sentences. Use in, at or on + the following:
the next garage
1. Look at those people swimming ....
2. One of the strings ……. is broken.
3. There's something wrong with the car. We'd better stop ……..
4. Would you like sugar ……….?
5. The leaves …….. are a beautiful colour.
6. Last year we had a wonderful skiing holiday ……
7. There's nobody living ………. It's uninhabited.
8. He spends most of the day sitting …….. and looking outside.
Exercise 2. Complete the sentences with in, at or on.
1. There was a long queue of people …. the bus stop.
2. Nicola was wearing a silver ring …. her little finger.
3. There was an accident ….. the crossroads this morning.
4. I wasn't sure whether I had come to the right office. There was no name …. the door.
5. There are some beautiful trees …. the park.
6. You'll find the sports results …. the back page of the newspaper.
7. I wouldn't like an office job. I couldn't spend the whole day sitting …… a desk.
8. My brother lives …. a small village …. the south-west of England.
9. The man the police are looking for has a scar ….. his right cheek.
10. The headquarters of the company are ….. Milan.
11. I like that picture hanging …. the wall ….. the kitchen.
12. If you come here by bus, get off ….. the stop after the traffic lights.
Exercise 3. Complete the sentences. Use in, at or on + the following:
the west coast
the back of the class
the front row
the back of this card
the way to work
1. It was a lovely day. There wasn't a cloud ……….
2. In most countries people drive ……..
3. What is the tallest building ………….?
4. I usually buy a newspaper ……… in the morning.
5. San Francisco is ….. of the United States.
6. We went to the theatre last night. We had seats ………..
7. I couldn't hear the teacher. She spoke quietly and I was sitting …………..
8. I don't have your address. Could you write it ……….?
Exercise 4. Complete the sentences with in, at or on.
1. Write your name …… the top of the page.
2. Is your sister ……. this photograph? I don't recognise her.
3. I didn't feel very well when I woke up, so I stayed ….. bed.
4. We normally use the front entrance to the building, but there's another one ….. the back.
5. Is there anything interesting …… the paper today?
6. There was a list of names, but my name wasn't …. the list.
7. …… the end of the street, there is a path leading to the river.
8. I love to look up at the stars ….. the sky at night.
9. When I'm a passenger in a car, I prefer to sit ….. the front.
10. It's a very small village. You probably won't find it …… your map.
11. Joe works ….. the furniture department of a large store.
12. Paris is ….. the river Seine.
13. I don't like cities. I'd much prefer to live ….. the country.
14. My office in …… the top floor. It's ….. the left as you come out of the lift.
15. We went to a concert ……. the Royal Festival Hall.
16. It was a very slow train. It stopped …. every station.
17. My parents live ….. a small village about 50 miles from London.
18. I haven't seen Kate for some time. I last saw her …. David's wedding.
19. We stayed …. a very nice hotel when we were ….. Amsterdam.
20. There were fifty rooms ….. the hotel.
21. I don't know where my umbrella is. Perhaps I left it …… the bus.
22. I wasn't in when you phoned. I was …. my sister's house.
23. There must be somebody …… the house. The lights are on.
24. The exhibition ……. the Museum of Modern Art finished on Saturday.
25. Shall we travel ……. your car or mine?
26. What are you doing ….. home? I expected you to be ……… work.
27. 'Did you like the film?’ "Yes, but it was too hot ….. the cinema.'
28. Paul lives …. Birmingham. He's a student ….. Birmingham Univer
Exercise 5. Put in to/at/in/into where necessary. If no preposition is necessary, leave the
1 Three people were taken .......... hospital after the accident.
2 I met Kate on my way ............. home.
3 We left our luggage ............................ the station and went to find something to eat.
4 Shall we take a taxi . .......................... the station or shall we walk?
5 I have to go ….. the bank today to change some money.
6 The river Rhine flows ….. the North Sea.
7 'Have you got your camera?' 'No, I left it ….. home.'
8 Have you ever been ….. China?
9 I had lost my key, but I managed to climb ................ the house through a window.
10 We got stuck in a traffic jam on our way ………. the airport.
11 We had lunch …….. the airport while we were waiting for our plane.
12 Welcome …. the hotel. 'We hope you enjoy your stay here.
13 We drove along the main road for about a kilometre and then turned ….. a narrow side street.
14 Did you enjoy your visit ….. the zoo?
15 I'm tired. As soon as I get …. home. I'm going …. bed.
16 Marcel is French. He has just returned …. France after two years …. Brazil.
17 Carl was born ….. Chicago, but his family moved …. New York when he was three. He still
lives … New York.
1. in the river
5. on that tree
dow Exercise 2.
1. at 2. on 3. at
2. on my guitar
6. in the moutains
4. on 5. in
3. at the next garage
7. on the island
6. on 7. at
8. in, in
4. in your coffee
8. at the win9. on 10. in 11. on, in
1. in the sky
2. on the right
3. in the world
5. on the west coast 6. in the front row
7. at the back of the class
19. at/in, in
26. at, at
2. no prep
15. no prep, to
16. to, in
17. in, to, in
4. on the way to work
8. on the back of this card
14. on, on
28. in, at
GIỚI TỪ (P3)
I. Tóm tắt bài giảng
1/ Giới từ theo sau tính từ
1.1 Adj + TO
acceptable: có thể chấp nhận
agreeable: có thể đồng ý
applicable: có thể ứng dụng
appropriate: thích hợp
addicted to st: say mê cái gì
bad to st: có hại cho, không tốt cho
contrary: trái với
clear: rõ ràng
dedicated: hiến dâng
devoted: cống hiến,
engaged: đính hôn
equal: công bằng
essential: cần thiết
friendly (to/with): thân thiện
faithful: trung thành
good to sb: tử tế với ai
generous: hào phóng
grateful to sb: biết ơn ai
thankful to sb: biết ơn ai
harmful: có hại
important: quan trọng
indifferent: thờ ơ, lãnh đạm
kind to sb: tử tế với ai
known: được biết đến
likely: có khả năng/ có thể thích hợp
loyal: trung thành
lucky: may mắn
married: kết hôn
nice to sb: tử tế với ai
open: cởi mở
pleasing: làm vui lòng
polite: lịch sự
preferable: thích hơn
related: liên quan
responsible to sb:chịu trách nhiệm với ai
rude: thô lỗ
strange: xa lạ
subject: dễ bị/ khó tránh
true: trung thực
useful to sb: hữu ích với ai
1.2 Adj + OF
aware: ý thức
ashamed: xấu hổ
boastful: khoe khoang
capable: có khả năng
careful(of/with/about): cẩn thận
careless: bất cẩn
certain: chắc chắn
desirous: khao khát
doubtful (about/ of): nghi ngờ
glad: vui mừng
guilty: tội lội
hopeful: hi vọng
innocent: vô tội
independent: độc lập
jealous: ghen tị
proud: tự hào
take pride in: tự hào
pride oneself on: tự hào
sure(of/about): chắc chắn
sick: chán nản
scared: sợ hãi
short: thiếu hụt
thoughtful: chu đáo/ ân cần
thoughtless: không chu đáo /không ân cần
tolerant: khoan dung
terrified: sợ hãi
tired: mệt mỏi
quick of/ at: nhanh
worthy: xứng đáng
1.3 Adj + FOR
anxious(for/about): lo âu
appropriate: thích hợp
available: có thể dùng được
bad for st: có hại cho
convenient: thuận lợi
dangerous: nguy hiểm
eager: háo hức/ hăm hở
famous: nổi tiếng
fit : vừa vặn
good (for health/so.): tốt
grateful (for s.th.): biết ơn
thankful for st : biết ơn
necessary: cần thiết
perfect: hoàn hảo
prepared for st: chuẩn bị
responsible for st/ ving: có trách nhiệm
qualified : có phẩm chất
ready: sẵn sàng
sorry about st/ for Ving/ clause/ sb: lấy làm thương hại
sufficent: đầy đủ
suitable(for/to): thích hợp
useful: có lợi ích
1.4 Adj + AT
amazed(at/by): ngạc nhiên
amused (at/ by): ngạc nhiên, thích thú
angry (at/ about st/ with sb/ for Ving): giận giữ về cái gì/ với ai/ về việc gì
annoyed(at/ about st/ with sb/ for Ving): bực mình cái gì/ với ai/ về việc gì
astonished(at/by): ngạc nhiên
bad(at s.th.): dốt
clever: thông minh
clumsy: vụng về
excellent: xuất sắc
furious (at/about st/ with sb/ for Ving): giận giữ về cái gì/ với ai/ về việc gì
good (at s.th.): gioỉ
hopeless: vô vọng
present: có mặt
skilful: có năng khiếu
surprised (at/ by): ngạc nhiên
1.5 Adj + WITH
bored / fed up: chán
covered: bao phủ
disappointed: thất vọng
pleased: hài lòng
popular: nổi tiếng
(im)patient: (không)kiên nhẫn
satisfied: thỏa mãn
friendly to/with: thân thiện
1.6 Adj + IN
honest: thạt thà
interested: thích thú
proficient (at/in): thành thạo
successful: thành công
weak: yếu kém
1.7 Adj + FROM
away:đi vắng, đi xa
distinct: khác biệt
divorced: cách ly, cách xa
free: được miễn
far : xa
isolated: cách li, cách biệt
safe: an toàn
separate: riêng lẻ
1.8 Adj + ABOUT
Anxious: lo lắng
confused: bối rối, nhầm lẫn
curious: tò mò, hiếu kỳ
disappointed (about/ with): thất vọng
enthusiastic: nhiệt tình
excited: hứng thú
happy: vui vẻ
optimistic: lạc quan
pessimistic: bi quan
reluctant: miễn cưỡng
sad = upset: buồn
sure: chắc chắn
serious: đứng đắn, nghiêm túc
worried: bồn chồn, lo lắng
1.9 Adj + IN
Absorbed: thích, say mê
Successful: thành công
Involved: lien quan, dính lứu
Honest: thật thà
2.0 Adj + on
Keen : thích
Dependent: phụ thuộc
Expert :chuyên gia
2 ) Giới từ theo sau động từ
accuse … of: buộc tôi
apologise to … for: xin lỗi
apologize for: xin lỗi về
apply for: nộp đơn xin việc
arrive in/at: đến nơi
admire sb/ st for: ngưỡng mộ
agree with st/ sb: đồng ý
agree to sb/ one’s + Ving: chấp nhận
approve of: đồng ý
ask … for: hỏi … cho
base on: dựa vào
believe in: tin ưởng vào
belong to: thuộc về
blame sb for st: đổ lỗi
blame st on sb: đổ lỗi
borrow … from: mượn
care about: quan tâm về
care for: chăm sóc/ thich/ yêu cầu
charge … with: phạt
charge sb for: thanh toán tiền
come across: tình cờ gặp
complain to … about: than phiền
concentrate on:tập trung
congratulate … on: chúc mừng
consist of: bao gồm
crash into: va chạm vào
criticize sb for: phê bình ai
deal with: giải quyết
differ from: khác
decide on: quyết định về
depend on: thuộc vào
discourage sb from/ against Ving: ngăn cản ai làm gì
stop sb from/ against Ving: ngăn cản ai làm gì
protect sb from/ against Ving: ngăn cản ai làm gì
prevent sb from/ against Ving: ngăn cản ai làm gì
die of: chết vì
die out : tuyệt chủng
divide into: chia (ra)
cut :chia (ra)
slice: chia (ra)
dream about: mơ về
dream of: mơ ước trở thành
escape from: thoát khỏi
explain … to: giải thích
feel like: cảm thấy như
get st from sb: nhận cái gì từ ai
happen to: xảy đến
have a good knowledge og: có hiểu biết tốt về
hear about/from/of: nghe về
hope for: hi vọng về
insist on: khăng khăng
invite … to: mời
know much about: biết
laugh/smile at: cười vào
leave … for: rời… để đến
listen to: nghe
live on sb/st: sống nhờ vào
live with sb: sống với ai
live in/at :sống ở đâu
look after: chăm sóc
look around: nhìn quanh
look at: nhìn
look back on: nhìn về quá khứ
look down on: khinh rẻ
look for: tìm
look forward to: mong đợi
look into: điều tra
mistake sb/ st for sb/ st: nhầm ai với ai, cái gì với cái gì
object to: phản đối
operate on: mổ
participate in: tham gia vào
pay for: trả tiền cho
point / aim at: chỉ … vào
prefer … to: thích … hơn
prepare for: chuẩn bị
provide sb with st: cung cấp
provide st for sb: cung cấp
regard … as: coi …như
rely … on: dựa vào
remind … of: gợi nhớ
remind sb about: nhắc nhở
result from: do bởi
result in: gây ra
receive st from sb: nhận cái gì từ ai
report to sb about st: báo cáo với ai về cái gì
run into: tình cờ gặp
search for: tìm kiếm
send for: cho mời ai đến
shout at: la, hét
say/ speak/talk to: nói với
spend … on: chi tiêu … cho
succeed in: thành công về
suffer from: đau, chịu đựng
take after: giống
take care of: chăm sóc
take in: lừa gạt
think about / of: nghe về
think over: suy nghĩ kỹ
throw … at: ném … vào(nghĩa tiêu cực)
throw…to: ném cái gì
throw…away: vất đi
translate … from … into:dịch… …sang
wait for: chờ đợi
warn … about: cảnh báo về
write to: viết thư cho
3. GIỚI TỪ ĐI SAU DANH TỪ
3.1 N + TO
Attention: quan tâm, chú ý
Attitite to/ toward: thái độ
Answer: câu trả lời
Cruel: độc ác
Contribution: đóng góp
Due : bởi vì
Duty: nhiệm vụ
Devotion: cống hiến
Damage : thiệt hại
Key: giải pháp
Reaction: phản ứng
Reply: đáp lại
Thank : nhờ có
Owing: nhờ có
With a view to
3.2 N + FOR
A cheque for + số tiền
Demand for: nhu cầu
Need for: nhu cầu
Dislike for: ghét
Reason for: lý do
Fine for: phạt
Passion/ love for: niềm say mê
3.3 N + IN
An increase: tăng
Rise : tăng
A fall/ drop/ decrease: giảm
Have confidence in: tự tin
Delght in = pleasure of: vui thích
3.4 N + OF
Cause of: nguyên nhân
Picture of: tranh
Photograph of: ảnh
Danger of: nguy hiểm
A number of: số lượng
A lot of: nhiều
Íntead of : thay vì
Inspite of: mặc dù
In case of: phòng khi
Regardless of: cho dù
As a result of: vì kết quả
For fear of: sợ
In front of: phía trước
In the middle of: ở giữa
in the center of: ở trung tâm
On behalf of: thay mặt
GIỚI TỪ ĐỨNG TRƯỚC DANH TỪ
3.1 BY + N
By heart: học thuộc lòng
By chance: tình cờ
By accident: tình cờ
By ….+ self
By cheque: bằng sec
By coincidence: sự trùng hợp
By all means: bằng mọi cách
By sight/ name: nhớ mặt/ tên
By the time = before
By the way: nhân tiện
3.2 IN + N
In fact: thực tế\
In turn : lần lượt
In general: nhìn chung
In love with: yêu ai
In charge of :chịu trách nhiệm
In common/ public: công chúng
In a hury: vội vàng
In advance: đặt trước
In addition to: thêm vào
In debt: nợ nần
In good/ bad order: ngăn nắp/không ngăn nắp
In good/ bad condition: trong điều kiện tốt/ xấu
In person: trực tiếp
In my opinion: theo tôi
In trouble/ difficulties: khó khăn
In vain: vô ích
In other words (on the other hand): nói cách khác
In danger of: có nguy cơ
3.3 ON + N
On fire: lửa
On strike: đình công
On holiday: nghi
On time: đúng giờ
On a diet: ăn kiêng
On purpose: cố tình
On condition that: với điều kiện là
On average: trung bình
On the whole: nói chung
On sale: giảm giá
On TV/ the radio/ telephone
On display: trưng bày
An account of = because of
3.4 FOR + N
For a walk/ change: đi dạo
For a picnic/ drink: đi picnic/ uống
For example/ instance: ví dụ
II. Bài về nhà
Exercise 1. Choose the best answer to complete the sentences
1. He is trustworthy and reliable. You can depend … him.
2. Do you believe … ghosts?
3. Her parents didn't approve …. her marriage to that man.
4. They arrived …. London early in the morning.
5. Don't worry …. it. Everything will be OK.
6. Like his mother, he has brown eyes and dark hair. But he takes … his father in personality.
7. They objected … his plan at first but accepted it later.
8. Who looks … the children when you are away?
9. We had little hope ……………… success; nonetheless, we decided to perform the operation.
10. The cash-for-vote scandal did a lot of harm ……………………………… his reputation as a
11. We have to find a substitute ………………………………… it.
12. We should deem it as an attack ………………………………… our right to privacy.
13. In many cities the cost ……………………………… living is pretty high.
14. We would like to see a big increase …………………………….. productivity.
15. I have no interest ………………………………… politics.
16. I have no faith …………………………… her capabilities.
17. I have heard that the government is planning to raise the tax …………………………..
18. I admire their way ……………………….. doing things.
Exercise 2. Complete each sentence with a preposition where necessary. If no preposition
is necessary, leave the space empty.
1. She works quite hard. You can't accuse her …. being lazy.
2. Who's going to look …. your children while you're at work?
3. The problem is becoming serious. We have to discuss … it.
4. The problem is becoming serious. We have to do something …. it.
5. I prefer this chair … the other one. It's more comfortable.
6. I must phone …. the Office to tell them I won't be at work today.
7. The river divides the city …. two parts.
8. 'What do you think …. your new boss?' She's all right, I suppose.'
9. Can somebody please explain … me what I have to do?
10. I said hello to her, but she didn't answer … me.
11. `Do you like staying at hotels?' 'It depends … the hotel.'
12. 'Have you ever been to Borla?' `No, I’ve never heard … it. Where is it?'
13. You remind me . .......................... somebody I knew long time ago. You look just like her.
14. This is wonderful news! I can't believe … it.
15. George is not an idealist — he believes … being practical.
16. What's funny? What are you laughing . .......................... ?
17. What have you done with all the money you had? What did you spend it
18. If Kevin ask … you … money, don’t give him any.
19. I apologized … Sarah … keeping her waiting so long.
20. Lisa was very helpful. I thanked . ........ her … everything she'd done.
1. The windows of the class were covered ______ so much dirt that we couldn’t see ______ them.
A. in –about
B. with – through
C. of – with
D. up – across
2. Hagia Eirene is an example ______ a Byzantine church in Istanbul that was never converted ______
A. after – by
B. for – for
C. of – into
D. from – in
3. Someone broke ______ my flat while I was away ______ holiday and stole everything worthwhile.
A. into – on
B. to – about
C. up – for
D. out – from
4. I like to eat ice cream ______ hot chocolate fudge ______ top.
A. for – from
B. over – to
C. in – with
D. with – on
5. All of the carpets that we looked ______had been made______ hand.
A. to – from
B. for – for
C. at – by
D. into – over
6. When you take that highway, you will pass ______ a long tunnel before you cross ______ the
border into Italy.
A. through – over
B. under – on
C. between – through
D. into – along
7. The man ______ the white beard standing ______ the room looks like Santa Claus, doesn’t he?
A. around – at
B. by – into
C. with - across
D. on – out of
8. Let me introduce you ______ Mr. Harris, ______ whom you will get on well, I guess, because both
of you are interested in boating.
A. with – of
B. for – about
C. about – for
D. to – with
9. The church was built ______ the side of an ancient temple dedicated ______ Artemis, the ancient
Greek goddess of the moon and of hunting.
A. beyond – up
B. under – with
C. on – to
D. near – as
10. The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation is abbreviated ______NATO; the alliance is more
commonly referred to ______ these initials.
A. on – with
B. into – on
C. in – from
D. to – by
11. The child fell______ the old well because she did not see the hole in the ground when she was
running ______ the field.
A. onto – from
B. into – around
C. around – about
D. from – to
12. The movie was not intended ______ young children; it was given an ―R‖ rating so that a child, in
order to see it, would have to be accompanied ______ an adult.
A. onto – with
B. with – from
C. to – around
D. for – by
13. The news ______ the tragic event was broadcast ______ all the radio and television channels.
A. about – beyond
B. from – into
C. of – over
D. for – to
14. The force ______ the wind was strong enough to knock satellite dishes ______ the roofs of the
A. of – from
B. with – about
C. to – around
D. for – towards
15.______ all of his business dealings, he has been driven by his desire ______ wealth.
A. During – with B. Throughout – to
C. In – for
D. Over – beyond
16. Since we were already acquainted ______ each other, an introduction was not necessary.
17. News that there would be a celebrity performer ______ the dance spread around the school quickly
______ word of mouth.
A. towards – through
B. at – by
C. from – over
D. for – to
18. The difference ______ a real dollar bill and a counterfeit one can be difficult to detect ______ the
A. of – by
B. through – beyond
C. among – under
D. between – with
19. I heard ______ the news that there will be heavy rain today; don’t forget to take you umbrella
A. on – with
B. at – for
C. about – to
D. over – against
20. Water generally moves ______ a plant through its roots and ______ a plant through its leaves.
A. on – with
B. into – out of
C. for – over
D. from – in
21. The water ______ a plant creates pressure called turgor ______ the cell walls, so when a plant
wilts from excessive dryness it is known that the turgor is low.
A. within – out
B. down – up
C. inside – against
D. about – in
22. Amy left her dog tied______ a tree ______ the store while he bought some groceries.
A. from – between
B. to – outside
C. towards – behind D. across – over
23. Brian was ______ pressure from his boss to finish the project ______ the deadline.
A. by – until
B. with – during
C. over – since
D. under – by
24. Present styles of Western dress evolved gradually ______ the garments worn ______ the people of
A. with – until
B. from – by
C. around – during
D. of – from
25. Many prisoners of war would be sacrificed ______ the gods______ parts of Aztec celebrations
when a new emperor came to the throne.
A. to – as
B. with – for
C. for – in
D. at – upon
10. no pre
3. no pre
5. to 6. no pre
13. of 14. no pre
18. no pre, for
19. to, for
20. no pre, for
GIỚI TỪ (P4)
I. Bài tập chữa trong video
EXERCISES ON PREPOSITION
Complete the following sentences with proper prepositions:
1. We‟ll buy a smaller house when the children have grown _______ and left home.
2. The computer isn‟t working. It broke _________ this morning.
3. My headaches have been much better since I gave ________ drinking coffee.
4. I turned _______ their offer because they weren‟t going to pay me enough money.
5. It was not a problem. We looked _______ his number in the telephone book.
6. Helen takes ________ her mother in many ways.
7. We need to set ________ early tomorrow.
8. The plane took ________ very quickly.
9. Anne‟s leaving ________ London tomorrow morning.
10. Your friend is always complaining _______ her job.
11. If there was a technical failure, Gagarin might never get _______ to the Earth.
12. Courses like shoemaking or glass engraving provide people ________ practical skills they can do
with their hands.
13. She is famous _______ her beautiful face and sweet voice.
14. We are all aware ________ the importance of the environment protection.
15. His opinion is different _________ mine.
16. If you don‟t pay attention _________ the teacher, you won‟t understand the lesson.
17. I‟m not familiar______ his name, but his face seems familiar_____ me.
18. We were very grateful_______ our friends for all of their assistance.
19. No one knew precisely what would happen ______ a human being in space. 20..How would the
mind deal ______ the psychological tension?
20. I‟m good________ English, but I‟m bad______ Mathematics.
21. Mrs. Brown is often worried__________ money.
22. Her parents are very pleased_________ her French.
23. I‟m not interested ___________ politics.
24. I‟m bit short_________ money. Can you lend me some?
25. I was delighted___________ the present you gave me.
26. She was sad because he was very rude_________ her.
27. She was very angry_________ Tom.
28. Fred is capable________ doing better work than he is doing at present.
29. You get bored___________ doing the same thing every day.
30. Thank you. It was very kind________ you to help me.
31. Mr. Green is responsible ________hiring employees.
32. There‟s really no need for you to be afraid________ the examination.
33. Ken was proud________ his good marks on the English.
34. My plan is similar_______ yours, but it is different__________ Ken‟s.
35. Pierre said he had become quite fond_______ American hamburgers.
36. That fashion magazine is full______ advertising for women‟s clothes.
37. Thin gloves aren‟t very suitable___________ that kind of work.
38. They were happy_______ the results of the election.
39. Y. Gagarin lifted _______ into space aboard the Vostok 1 _____ 9.07 a.m. Moscow time _______
12th April, 1961.
40. If you want to lose weight, you must go ________ a diet.
41. You should learn ________ heart all the new words and try to use them in the context.
42. We have been learning English ________ five years.
43. Can you send it to me _______ fax?
44. She‟s never satisfied _________ what she has got.
45. She wanted to borrow some books ______ him but she was shy _______ asking.
46. They succeeded ______escaping______ the burning house.
47. I don‟t approve ______ your smoking. I wish you would give ______ that habit.
48. Do you think we‟ll find a solution ______ the problem?
49. I must try and look ______ my notes before the exam.
50. He admitted having opened the suitcase _______ asking its owner.
51. Opening the parcel, he was surprised _______ what he saw.
52. She insisted ________ him wearing the red tie.
53. The teacher tried to explain the new formula________ his students.
54. The English contest organized ________ our teachers is an annual event in my school.
55. The participants must find ________ all the answers in order to go in the next round.
56. Are you excited____________ going on holiday next week?
57. She said to me “why don‟t you relax ________a while?”
58. ________ the end of the film, the heroine was reunited with her family.
59. On behalf ________ our group, he made a speech at the meeting.
60. Have you washed your hands _________having lunch.
61. He was accused _________ having stolen a car.
62. Thank you very much _________ inviting me to your party.
63. We could not play soccer due _________the bad weather.
64. If you don‟t want to watch TV. Turn it _________, please.
65. He is retired. He lives ________ his pension.
66. He‟s getting bored _______ learning _________ heart.
67. The bomb went _______ killing several by-standers.
68. They cancelled the flight because ________ the storm.
69. The local people are very hospitable _________ strangers.
70. Why were you absent ________ class this morning?
71. In English lessons we always speak _____________ English.
72. When I bought the house, my sister helped me _______ with a loan.
73. Your father is very kind __________David.
74. Your plan is similar _____________his.
75. She is accustomed _______________getting up early.
76. This area is rich______________ oil.
77. Are you acquainted ______________ this man?
78. It was very nice ___________ him to give me a lift.
79. Smoking is harmful____________ our health.
80. Mary always take good care ________her children.
81. Our study is very important__________ our future and useful
82. _________ our country.
83. Why don't you ask _________a pay increase?
84. Don't shout ________the child when he makes a mistake.
85. Ken prefers Chinese food ________French food.
86. How long have they been working _________the company?
87. He wore a hat, which made him look _________a spy.
88. I think your mother should let you make ________your own mind.
89. The pens made ____________ plastic are very cheap .
90. Many of the stories are based ________ rumor.
91. Was your friend successful________ getting a loan from the bank?
92. If you look __________ the book, you can find what you need.
93. You should make use __________ the books you have.
94. She was very upset__________ the news of her father‟s death.
95. How would the body react ______ the extreme changes in temperature?
96. We congratulate you ______ your successful flight.
97. The American people shared ______ the Soviet people their satisfaction for the safe flight.
98. Most of the streets were named ______ national heros.
99. China became the third country in the world to be able to independently carry _______manned
100. He was in orbit around the Earth ______ a speed of more than 17,000 miles per hour.
46- from/ of
40-off / at / on41- on
47-in / from 48- of
82- for/ for
II. Bài về nhà
Complete the following sentences with proper prepositions:
1. I often use Wikipedia to look ….. information.
2. If you want to get ….. a bus in London, you will have to queue.
3. Can I turn …… the TV? I want to watch the weather forecast.
4. It is very hard to give …… smoking.
5. It is so dark in here, you can really take …… your sunglasses now.
6. Shall I stand …… and offer my seat to the old lady?
63- for -of