English Grade 11
(Revision for the first term)
I. Word form
1. Fashion is ___________changing. (constant)
2. We became ____________ of the stranger’s behavior and contacted the police. (suspicion)
3. A true friendship is someone who is ___________and willing to share our interests and
4. True friendship requires us to show trust and ____________. (loyal)
5. Goods are ____________displayed in the shop windows. (attract)
6. He had supported his family _____________until his death. (loyal)
7. All supporters cheered ______________for the home team. (enthusiasm)
8. Her belief in her husband was _______________. She never lost her belief in him. (change)
9. Many old people have very little _______________with modern technology. (acquaint)
10. The students are still ____________of working by themselves, so I must help until they are
able to. (capable)
11. The weather is very ___________at this time of the year: the sun may shine brightly and
then it may suddenly rain heavily.
12. It would be considered _____________to your friend if you told his or her secret to others.
13. It is reported that three men were arrested on ____________of murder. (suspicious)
14. His _____________for music has stayed strong throughout his 23 years in radio. (enthusiast)
15. He showed unswerving _______________to his friends. (loyal)
16. We all have great _______________for the victims of the flood. (sympathize)
17. _____________is very important because uncertain people cannot have a lifelong friendship.
18. It was very _____________of him to offer us his room. (selfish)
19. The wine had made him ______________of thinking clearly. (capable)
20. Playing a game with the children is a good way of getting them _____________. (acquaint)
21. Inform the police immediately if you see anything _______________. (suspicion)
22. _____________ need time to develop. (friend)
23. An _____________ is a person that you know but who is not a close friend. (acquaint)
24. A ______________person is unlikely to keep a secret long. (talk)
25. Our relationship is based on _______________respect. (mutuality)
1. They _____________ their kids. (idol)
2. A lot of teenagers make Bi Rain their _______________. (idolize)
3. The task needs the skills of a suitably _______________ engineer. (experience)
4. She smiled to hide her slight ______________. (embarrass)
5. I _______________ prefer Pizza to hamburgers. (personal)
6. The romantic evening cruise will be a _______________experience. (memory)
7. I have a _______________suspicion that she knows more than she’s telling us. (sneak)
8. Don’t get the children too _______________. (excite)
9. The equator is an ____________ line around the middle of the earth. (imagine)
10. She was too ______________ to tell her husband the truth. (embarrass)
11. All the passengers were ________________ that the plane would crash! (terrify)
12. It was very ______________of you to break my ancient vase. (care)
13. Life in the village was so boring that people just waited and waited for something _________
to happen. (excite)
14. You must use your _______________ to guess what the movie really means! (imagine)
15. Don’t worry! I promise I’ll look after your dog ___________when you are on holiday. (care)
16. Why did you ask her about her last marriage? It was an ____________ question to ask in
17. I had a _______________ nightmare last night. (terrify)
18. The failure of the team was due to the _______________ of the defenders. (experience)
19. The crowd jumped up and down with _______________when Owen scored another goal.
20. The older my grandmother became, the worse her ______________ got. (memorize)
21. This is the sort of work that he is really _______________ in. (experience)
22. You’ll need to be a little more _________________ if you want to hold their attention.
23. People fled from the explosion in ______________. (terrify)
24. I _______________ think that we should do something immediately to change the situation
that we are in. (person)
25. I have a _______________ suspicion that she knows more than she’s telling us. (sneak)
1. They organized a party in _____________ of the year’s success. (celebrate)
2. The 50th wedding anniversary is called the _____________ anniversary. (gold)
3. After they got _____________, she never remarried. (divorce)
4. We wish them every ______________ in their new life. (happy)
5. The light in the room is functional as well as ______________. (decorate)
6. The ______________ postponed the race because of heavy snow. (organize)
7. We’re having a small family _____________ to mark our wedding anniversary. (gather)
8. I have no _____________ of changing jobs. (intend)
9. The food was good but the ______________ was very slow. (serve)
10. Nobody in the office had received an ______________ to the party. (invite)
11. It was a _____________ opportunity to study abroad when he won that scholarship. (gold)
12. A party was held at the _____________ of the school management. (invite)
13. Being a(n) ____________ mother is no longer a social stigma in Western societies. (marry)
14. The rice wine is a _____________ of this region. (special)
15. The interior _____________ of the house was designed by the owner himself. (decorate)
16. The school held a ______________ to mark twenty years of its foundation. (celebrate)
17. I enjoy swimming in the sea, ______________ in the early morning. (special)
18. These cars are remarkable for the ______________ of their engines. (quiet)
19. The furniture in their living-room was more _____________ than functional. (decorate)
20. Her _______________did not last long and she had to live on her own again. (marry)
21. Honesty is the base of any healthy ________________. (relate)
22. An _______________ smell of cooked food wafted into the room as I was home hungry from
23. It is difficult to give a definition of ______________; it all depends on each person. (happy)
24. Scientists have proven that lung cancer is directly ______________ to smoking.
25. They talked ________________ so as not to wake the baby. (quiet)
1. Final-year students are _____________ anxious about getting work after graduation.
2. Some regions in the North of our country are very _____________. (mountain)
3. These students _____________spend their spare time at weekends taking care of the
4. High school students are among the many _____________ in the Green Summer
program, whose purpose is to protect the environment. (participate)
5. Please make yourselves _______________ while I get dinner ready. (comfort)
6. The young girl, who died of cancer, had received many letters of support from her
fellow ____________. (suffer)
7. I couldn’t sleep because the bed was so _______________. (comfort)
8. The purpose of this program is to provide education for homeless and ____________
9. Children who are born into poor, large families may be ___________ disadvantaged.
10. This charitable organization relies almost on ____________contributions. (volunteer)
11. If you’re too trusting, other people will take ______________ of you. (disadvantaged)
12. Birds are ______________ enemies of many harmful insects. (nature)
13. Tom, whose parents are _____________ and barely literate, has a master’s degree
from London University. (educate)
14. _______________ is an adventure sport, which may be involved in dangers.
15. When the audience had all sat ________________, the lecturer began his speech.
16. The minister is said to have been brought up in an ___________ before being adopted
by a rich married couple. (orphan)
17. Many ethnic groups live in the __________ region of the country. (mountain)
18. Since retiring from the company, she has done __________ work for a charity.
19. A new educational program has been set for _____________ children. (advantage)
20. Pollution can have _____________ effects on the balanced ecosystem. (disaster)
21. His sudden sickness prevented him from active ____________ in the competition.
22. I never feel _____________ when I stay in other people’s house. (comfort)
23. The local government has asked various voluntary ___________ to help raise money
for the new orphanage. (organize)
24. His office is very utilitarian in style, with no ______________. (decorate)
25. In their ____________ to find a solution, they may have overlooked certain financial
26. On this _______________ occasion we salute the wonderful work done by the
27. Her ______________ to the cause is impressive. (loyal)
28. She felt _______________ about undressing in front of the doctor. (embarrass)
29. This war has caused widespread human _____________. (suffer)
30. If something comes ______________ to you, you are able to do it very easily and
very well. (nature)
1. The company is making plans for _______________ into European markets. (expand)
2. After three years of the campaign, it is reported that only 10% of the population are
still _______________. (literate)
3. Brazil has just announced its _____________ of polio, an infectious disease that
affected thousands of children each year. (eradicate)
4. It’s hard to understand this article thoroughly because it is full of ____________
5. Despite his poverty, the man acted _____________ and returned the wallet to its
6. The office needs four more computers in order to work more _____________. (effect)
7. The fight against _______________ in the rural areas was not as easy as expected.
8. Some people think that aspirin is a(n) ______________ cure for headache. (effect)
9. We are very pleased with the high level of _______________ in the charity events.
10. Humor is often far more ______________ than shouting. (effect)
11. I can see an increasing _______________ in how she understands the world. (mature)
12. They started a campaign for illiteracy _______________ in the summer of 2000.
13. I am deeply _______________ to be invited to this momentous occasion. (honor)
14. We congratulate James on his well-deserved _______________to Chief Executive.
15. All the children are tested in basic _______________. (literate)
16. Did he do it ______________, or did you make him? (volunteer)
17. The Red Cross is in charge of _______________ of emergency relief. (provide)
18. We found the program ________________ and informative. (educate)
19. Debbie is a very _______________ girl. She makes friends easily whenever she goes.
20. The traffic lights are controlled by a _______________ computer. (center)
21. He quit the job because it didn’t offer any prospects of ______________. (promote)
22. If you try to work _______________ for one year, you will be able to get a promotion.
23. Her ideas have lost all _______________ to the modern world. She seems to be living
in the past. (relevant)
24. They have organized many computer training courses for old people who are
computer ________________. (literacy)
25. This drug seems ______________; the patient is getting well. (effect)
26. FIFA are very determined to carry out the ____________ of racism from soccer.
27. They are still conducting a campaign in some rural areas to promote adult _________.
28. This movie is for adults only. It is totally _____________to young children. (relevant)
29. The economic reforms have actually brought benefits, both _____________ and
30. I think Miss Thu has the ______________experience in this job. She’s doing it well.
31. In some parts of the world, people are still divided into different __________ classes.
32. These chemicals are _____________ in killing insects, so most farmers refuse to buy
them now. (effect)
33. Your son is rather uncommunicative. You should encourage him to socialize _______
1. The final competition included the _____________ of three classes. (represent)
2. He had difficulty ____________ the poem in front of the judges. (recite)
3. You will have to answer the questions on the ____________ within two minutes.
4. The _____________ was sponsored by the students’ Parents Society. (compete)
5. The company has decided to withdraw from some of its ____________. (sponsor)
6. The playgroup provides plenty of ____________ for the children. (stimulate)
7. Over 30,000 _____________ will run in the New York marathon. (compete)
8. The negotiation was attended by _______________ of several states. (represent)
9. The scheme aims to encourage increased ______________ in sporting activities.
10. The survey was based on direct ______________ of over 500 schools. (observe)
11. I felt extremely ______________when we lost. (disappoint)
12. She finds writing poetry deeply ______________. (satisfy)
13. The teacher’s comments are designed to help improve your ____________and
14. The ______________ of further job losses comes at a bad time. (announce)
15. Lan always takes an _____________part in every class discussion. (act)
16. This book is not ______________ of all his works during his lifetime. (represent)
17. Did you hear the _____________ made by the President on television this morning?
18. The road was blocked for two hours after the accident, but traffic is now flowing
____________ again. (smooth)
19. Teaching is now a very _____________job; you have to try your best if you want to
20. Your _____________exam results are entirely due to your inattention in class.
21. It is illegal if an athlete takes drugs to improve his or her ____________. (perform)
22. You must send her a letter of _____________for what you have done. (apologize)
23. A ______________from our company will meet you at the airport on your arrival.
24. After months of working, we __________finished the project ahead of the scheduled
25. Having read the book did not spoil my _____________of the movie. (enjoy)
26. The Nobel prizes are awarded _____________. (annual)
1. Disability is a physical _____________on your life. (limit)
2. Most governments in the Third World are trying to limit population __________.
3. These measures were designed to improve the _____________of traveling by
4. It’s highly ___________that he’ll win the scholarship. (probably)
5. Alarmingly, the hole in the ozone layer has ___________ in size this year. (double)
6. The government is making great efforts to promote the family ____________program
throughout the country. (plan)
7. Despite the thick fog, the pilot managed to land the plane ___________. (safe)
8. I was asked to ______________my speech to ten minutes maximum. (limitation)
9. What is the _____________of our country? – “More than 80 million, I think.”
10. It won’t take long to finish this work if we know how to do it __________. (science)
11. There are only a(n) ____________number of tickets available, so you must get them
as soon as possible. (limit)
12. I walked in the heavy rain and began to tremble__________ with cold. (control)
13. My mother was the most _____________ during my father’s illness. (support)
14. The water supply in this area is _____________, so you must use tablets to purify it
before any use. (safe)
15. There is a _____________ need for qualified teachers at both primary and secondary
16. Every driver should know that ‘___________is a good friend; accidents are enemies.’
17. The invention of the computer is considered the greatest ____________ achievement
of our times. (science)
18. The measures to protect the environment must be compatible with economic _______
19. I suddenly had a(n) ___________ urge to laugh. I couldn’t stop it. (control)
20. In spite of a technological fault, the pilots landed the plane __________ in the end.
21. If you pay a suitable rate for ___________Internet access, you will be allowed to surf
it as much as you want. (limit)
22. True ____________ of sports do not accept violence. (support)
23. She was very _____________during my father’s illness. (support)
24. The ticket gives you _______________travel for seven days. (limit)
25. You must have a ______________ reason for not attending classes. (satisfy)