UNIT 7: THE MASS MEDIA
I. Pronunciation and stress
Choose the word with the different pronunciation of the underlined part.
1. A. change
2. A. beige
3. A. ride
4. A. receive
5. A. magazine
6. A. high
7. A. page
8. A. oil
9. A. sandwich
10. A. special
Choose the word with different stress pattern in each group.
1. A. geography
2. A. ocean
3. A. appear
9. A. because
II. Supply the correct word form.
1. Certainly, the early years are crucial to a child's .............................. .
2. .............................. cannot be measured by any complete standard.
3. This program is very important for the ........................ life of the city.
4. You should try to combine exercise with a .............................. diet.
5. Their mother's words were a great .............................. to them.
6. We are very surprised that our brother has a mature and ....... attitude to work. (RESPONSIBILITY)
7. It is important that students develop an ............... of how the Internet can be used. (AWARE)
8. We need an .............................. trip to add spice to our life.
9. His mother has been at his bedside throughout his ...............................
10.Is there a mail .............................. on Saturdays?
III. Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences.
1. I turned the light on _______ the room was dark.
D. because of
2. Are there any good ___________ on television tonight? ,
3. The price of houses _____________ dramatically in recent years.
A. has increased
C. have increased D. increasing
4. You can hear BBC news_____________all over the world.
5. Children often prefer looking at_____________to reading books.
6. A_____________is a film with factual information, often about a problem in society.
A. series .
B. soap opera
7. _____________is a system connecting millions of computer worldwide.
A. The television
B. The Internet
C. The media
D. The phone
8. The scheme allows students from many countries_____________ with each other.
B. to communicate
C. communicating D. communicates
9. I've lived in a small house near the coast_____________1990.
10. It's time we_____________ this old car and bought a new one.
A. will sell
B. have sold
C. had sold
11. Some television programs _____________
A. may make children to be violent.
B. make children be violent.
C. may make children violent.
D. make children being violent.
12. I _____________ away most of my old books when I moved house.
B. have thrown
C. had thrown
D. was throwing
13. Edward came to the party _______ I asked him not to be there.
B. even though
14. All the seats on that flight are taken, but ______ there is a cancellation, I will call you.
15. ______ Mary says she doesn’t need any help, I’ll help her anyway.
B. Because of
C. Even though
D. In spite of
16. I will agree to tutor you _______ you promise to study hard.
B. if only
C. only if
17. _______ the old man spoke very slowly and clearly, I couldn’t understand him at all.
18. The doctor decided to give her a thorough examination _he could identify the causes of her illness.
A. so that
D. so as
19. Nowadays, women have to do most of the house keeping tasks ___________ their husband’s share of
B. in spite of
C. even though
20. The price of fruit has increased recently, _______ the price of vegetables has gone down.
21. The editor decided not publish the story because the facts were unreliable.
22. It is convenient to subscribe to the newspaper although it is delivered to your house daily.
23. An advantage of Internet news reports is that they can be constant updated.
24. I last heard this song ten years ago.
A. It is ten years since I last heard this song.
B. It is ten years when I have heard this song.
C. It has been ten years when I have heard this song. D. It was ten years since I have heard this song.
25.– "I've passed my driving test." – ".............................."
A. That's a good idea.
B. Do you?
C. It's nice of you to say so.
IV. Read the passage and choose a suitable word to fill in each blank.
The use of computers in school is becoming more (1)__________ more widespread. However, many
teachers welcome computers while others remain reluctant. They argue that using computers in studies is a
waste that "too much (2)____________ is going for computerized educational materials". However there
was a time when parents (3)______________ wanted an educational present for their children used to buy
a typewriter, a book or a dictionary, it is widely agreed (4)____________children should be taught computer
programming which does more develop their problem-solving skills and ability (5)____________ think
V. Read the passage and answer the questions.
In American there is no national television as there is in some countries. All the stations are run
commercially. Advertisers sponsor shows, they interrupt the shows every few minutes to advertise the things
they are selling. Television is criticized for its crime shows; actually there are many other special shows of
real value. There are also educational television stations which are trying out new types of high quality
programs. They give courses in foreign languages and in literature which viewers can follow and even take
examinations later. Some schools have a regular class on TV, such as science, several hours a week.
1. Why do they have to interrupt the show every few minutes?
What are the educational television stations doing?
3. Which courses do the educational television stations offer?
What do some schools have on TV?
Is there any national television in America?
VI. Rewrite these sentences beginning with the words given.
1. Though we had planned carefully, a lot of things went wrong.
In spite of________________________________________________________
2. We went out in spite of the heavy rain.
3. We didn’t buy the house because its rooms were small.
4. This boy is ignorant because of his laziness.
5. Despite her poor memory, the old man told interesting stories to the children.
6. She finished her homework. Then she went out for a walk.
7. I haven't seen him for 6 months.
The last _________________________________________________________
8. We couldn't get to work in time because of the traffic jam.
The traffic jam prevented ___________________________________________
9. When did she become a professional dancer?
How long ________________________________________________________
10. I've never met such an embarrassing situation before.
This is the most ___________________________________________________