TỪ VỰNG – Tập 1
1. It was so relaxing to be ________ old friends.
2. She's made friends ________ a little girl who lives next door.
3. The children seem to be totally capable ________ working by themselves.
4. Your friendship should be based on ________ trust.
5. The company expects ________ from its employees.
6. I've got lots of ________, but only a few are really good friends
a. close friends b. acquaintances
7. Friendship is a two-sided ________, it lives by give-and-take.
8. Unselfishness is the very essence of friendship.
a. romantic part b. important part
c. difficult part
d. interesting part
9. They ________ a close friendship at university.
10. We stayed friends even after we ________ and left home.
a. brought up
b. turned up
c. grew up
d. took up
1. Sarah brightened ________ considerably as she thought of Emily's words.
2. Does he tell you how he is getting ________ his new friends?
a. on with
b. on of
c. away with
d. out of
3. There is no truth in the ________ that Margaret has lost her job.
4. Friendship is a two-side ________; it lives by give-and-take.
5. Jen had confided her secret to Mark; but he betrayed her ________.
6. They were extremely ________ to my plight.
7. The President expressed his deep sorrow over the bombing deaths.
8. Let me know if you see anyone acting ________.
9. Business leaders gave an ________ welcome to the proposal.
10. The school appeared essentially ________ since my day.
b. unchanged c. changeable
1. She glanced briefly ________ his lapel badge.
2. ________ my experience, very few people really understand the problem.
3. People here have a more relaxed attitude ________ their work.
4. The novel is based on his ________ in the war.
5. I don't like that man. There is a sneaky look on his face.
6. She made a big ________ about not having a window seat on the plane.
7. He has a very outgoing ________ and makes friends very easily.
c. personality d. personage
8. He ________ to the spot where the house used to stand.
9. Teenagers often have their ________ who they admire very much.
10. I had a glance at the article, but I haven't read it yet.
a. close look
b. quick look c. direct look
d. furtive look
1. What made you more interested ________ learning English?
2. He always complained ________ his mother about his work.
3. A few people enjoyed the exhibition, but the majority were ________.
4. The girl was so ________ that she didn't look at him in the face.
5. There is a growing tendency among singers to _____ some famous singers.
6. An only child often creates an ________ friend to play with.
7. I felt my face burning with ________.
8. I believe that everyone has had ________ experiences in their life.
9. He rose from his chair and ________ her warmly.
10. She showed her ________ by asking lots of trivial questions.
1. A lots of foods and drinks will be served _______ the party.
2. The anniversary of the founding of the charity falls _______ 12th November.
3. When they get together, all they talk _______ is football.
4. They're having a party in _______ of his 84th birthday.
5. We tried to make a _______ of our situation, but it wasn't funny.
6. They held a concert to mark the _______ of Mozart's death.
7. They _______ a wonderful meal to more than fifty delegates.
8. He tried his best to make his birthday party more _______ .
9. When they finished singing, Lisa _______ the candles on the cake.
a. turned off
b. blew out
c. cleared up
d. brought out
10. Many _______ men remarry and have second families.
1. I prefer to celebrate my birthday party at home _____ in the restaurant.
2. Jack's mother __ a birthday cake with seventeen lighted candles on it.
a. brought out
b. showed on
c. turned up
d. took over
3. These anniversaries mark the milestones of a happy and lasting relationship between married couples.
4. Rosa and Luis are happy to be ________ for their goJden anniversary.
5. ________ from Bill, all the students said they would go to the party.
6. We moved to the countryside for some ________.
a. peace and quiet
b. comfort and advance
c. freedom and pleasure
d. happiness and enjoyment
7. I'm ________ a surprise party for my sister.
8. It wasn't until midnight that the party ________.
a. carried on
b. broke up
c. cleared up
d. went out
9. There are lots of TV Christmas ________ for children this year.
10. Jane is going to go abroad next month and she's having a ________ party on Sunday.
1. The boys were taken ______ a fishing trip last weekend.
2. She frequently volunteers ______ extra work because she really likes her job.
3. We hope that students themselves will enjoy taking part ______ the projects.
4. He volunteered his ______ as a driver.
5. All the teachers work on an entirely ______ basis.
b. volunteered c. voluntary
6. They volunteer to take care of children who have been ______ by the AIDS epidemic.
7. It's filthy' in here! Are there any volunteers to help ______?
a. light up
b. clean up
c. clear up
d. take up
8. He eventually ______ his disability to achieve some business success.
9. The new law allows school districts to spend more money on less ______ children.
a. advantageous b. disadvantageous c. advantaged
10. A lot of children participated in ______ performances.
c. fundraise d. funding-raise
1. Each nation has many people who voluntarily take care______ others.
2. They give care and comfort ______ disadvantaged children.
3. They have no money and are forced to live on ______.
4. This scheme could be ______ for people in low incomes.
b. advantaged c. advantageous
5. Schools need ______ to help children to read and write.
6. We would like to see closer ______ between parents and schools.
a. cooperation b. coordination
7. At present we are ______ an anti-drug campaign.
a. setting up
b. carrying out
c. taking part in
d. joining with
8. The work of the charity is funded by voluntary ______.
b. teenagers c. donations
9. A(n) ______, is a person who is killed because of their political beliefs.
10. His kind words brought some ______ to the grieving parents.
1. The price of petrol has gone ____ by over 50 percent in less than a year.
2. At present, more and more people are taking part in the struggle ______ illiteracy
3. The Vietnam Society of Learning Promotion started a campaign ______ illiteracy eradication.
4. Most of the students felt that ___ respect in classroom was essential for effective learning to take place.
a. mutual b. considerable
5. Modem farming methods can have an adverse ______ on the environment.
6. Once we have all relevant information, we can make a decision.
b. connected c. available d. confidential
7. The government has launched a _____aimed at educating young people about the dangers of drugs.
8. People judged to be functionaIly ______ lack the basic reading and writing skills.
c. illiterate d. illiteracy
9. The students were asked to ______ reading and writing skills to the villagers.
10. More work has been done to eradicate illiteracy in our country.
a. put up with
b. get rid of c. take control of d. cut down on
1. I'm not surprised Margaret's ill. With all the voluntary work she's ___, she's really been doing too much.
a. taken off
b. taken on c. taken in
d. taken to
2. An English Club will be _______ to help children improve their English.
a. brought on
b. showed up c. set up
d. put on
3. There was a gradual ____ in the number of both males and females who were literate in the Lowlands.
4. Only highly _______ people are capable of discussing these subjects.
5. Most students who were asked felt that _______ respect in the classroom was essential.
6. Many university students ___ spent their summer vacations teaching illiterate people to read and write.
b. consciously c. gradually d. voluntarily
7. The proposal has not met with _______ agreement.
b. universal c. Informal
8. A child's vocabulary _______ through reading.
9. Children living in remote and mountainous areas may be _______ disadvantaged.
b. education c. educational d. educationally
10. She is 'due to _______ a lecture on genetic engineering.
1. The contest aimed to stimulate the spirit of learning English ______ students.
2. The teacher explained the competition's rules ______ the students very carefully.
c. for .
3. Most students are interested ______ the annual English Speaking Contests.
4. ______ is someone who takes part in sports competitions.
b. Sportman c. Athletic
5. They quickly read the questions and tried to find out the answers.
6. A string of defeats has failed to break the team's ______.
7. There is now intense ______ between schools to attract students.
c. competitive d. competitor
8. Such questions provide a useful means of ______ students' interest.
9. All students can take part in the annual English-speaking Competition.
a. happening once a year
b. happening once a term
b. happening once a month
d. happening once every six months
10. He______ his poem in front of the whole school.
1. He apologized _______ not being able to complete the poem.
2. Time was _______, and the judges announced the results.
3. He's been teaching music for years, but he hasn't any _______.
a. examinations b. experiences c. experience d. qualifications
4. Most students find English Competitions _______.
d. do enjoyable
5. I am pleased to _______ the winner of the final competition. It's Group B.
6. After convincing myself that the result didn't matter, I felt oddly _______ when we lost.
c. disadvantaged d. disappointed
7. With three teams finishing on 40 points, there was no outright _______.
8. For work to flow _______, proper preparations must be made.
9. The contestants are eliminated one by one until the last _______ in a head-to-head contest.
10. The winner of the contest was given a(n) _______ for her excellent performance.
1. Like many other baby birds, ducklings are blind _______ birth.
2. Lack _______ food had stunted his growth.
3. Nigeria has a population _______ nearly 100 million.
4. The rapid growth of population led to an acute _______ of housing.
5. The population of the world is growing at a dangerous _______.
6. One third of the world's population _______ two thirds of the world's resources.
c. consumes d. supports
7. Better health care and agriculture have led to rapid population _______.
8. Pressure on natural resourses will _______ as we face a population explosion.
9. Her first novel has been _______ acclaimed as a masterpiece.
10. Our school has managed to collect a lot of books to _______ to the children in a village school.
b. distribute c. employ
1. People are not aware ______ the problem of overpopulation.
2. Scientists say that the main reason ______ population explosion is an increase in birth rates.
3. The second solution is to provide safe, ______ birth-control methods.
c. expensively d. inexpensively
4. Some scientists say that there are enough resources to ______ 8 billion people.
b. distribute c. raise
5. ______ the flood has receded, people can move back into their homes.
a. Now that
b. Due to
c. Although d. So that
6. If the level of VAT is ______this year, small businesses will be affected.
7. The world's population is ______ to be over 7 billion by 2010.
c. expected d. reached
8. ______ millions of women want to limit the size of their families, they know of no safe way to have
9. Most of the fresh water is ______ at the North and South Poles.
10. China is one of the most ______ populated areas in the world.
b. perfectly c. densely
1. Family members who live apart try to get together ______ Tet.
2. Most towns put ______ a Christmas tree, a fir tree decorated with colored lights, shiny balls, tinsel and
3. On Christmas Eve children go to bed full ______ excitement.
4. Agrarian people depend on the lunar calendar to prepare for their crops.
5. There is a ______ mood everywhere on New Year's Day.
c. optimistic d. festive
6. In Britain and America, it is ______ for everybody to sing 'Auld Lang Syne' on New Year's Eve.
b. traditional c. traditionally
7. Children are always ______ about Tet holiday.
b. interested c. keen
8. I shook hands and ______ a few words with the manager.
b. expressed c. exchanged d. converted
9. Jane is a very sociable girl. She likes parties and ______.
b. ceremonies c. traditions d. celebrations
10. Shopping malls are decorated for Christmas from September, ______ most people do not do their
Christmas shopping until December.
d. so that
1. Before Tet, supermarkets and shops are full _______ goods.
2. On the first -day of Tet, children _______ their new clothes and make New Year's wishes to their
a. take on
b. pick on
c. put on
d. try on
3. People believed that what they do on the first day of the year will _______ their luck during the whole
b. influence c. exchange d. result
4. I looked everywhere but I couldn't find _______ at all.
a. no one
5. Tet is really a time of fun and _______ throughout the country.
6. The whole family usually tries to get together at Christmas.
7. In Britain Christmas dinner usually _______ turkey, Christmas pudding and brandy butter.
a. brings on
b. serves with c. consists of d. puts up
8. We wish you both- health and longevity.
a. long life
b. happy life c. easy life
d. exciting life
9. Vietnamese people usually make _______ for Tet several weeks beforehand.
b. preparation c. preparatory d. preparations
10. She has as good chance as _______ of winning the race.
c. everyone d. no one
1. You can subscribe to your favorite newspapers and magazines ______ the nearest post office.
2. He is very capable ______ learning and understanding things.
3. Thanh Ba Post Office provides customers ______ the Messenger Call Services.
4. The post office offers the ______ Mail Service which is particularly fast.
5. We are proud of our ______ staff, who are always friendly and efficient.
a. well-done b. well-appointed
c. well-behaved d. well-trained
6. The hotel staff are always friendly and courteous.
7. There was no mention of the incident in the national press.
8. I need to ______ £1,000 to my daughter's account.
b. transform c. transmit
9. ______ to the magazine can take advantage of this special offer.
c. Subscribing d. Subscribers
10. ______ is someone who works from home on computer and communicates with their office by
telephone, fax, or e-mail.
a. Telecomputer b. Telecommuter c. Telephonist d. Telemarketer
1. I suddenfy came __ a very valuable book when we was in the bookshop.
2. Prices are going _____ in a worry way.
3. Does he tell you how he is getting _____ his new colleagues?
a. on with
b. on of
c. away with d. out of
4. I'd like to send this parcel express. What's the _____ on it?
5. An extra copy of each document was supplied for onward _____ to head office.
b. transmitted c. transmitter d. transmission
6. We _____ to several sports channels on television.
7. We offer a very _____ rate for parcels of under 15 kg.
b. competent c. competitive
8. If you want to send a document and do not want to lose, its original shape, our _____ service will help
a. express mail
b. facsimile c. messenger call
9. _____ of all the staff, I would like to wish you a happy retirement.
a. On behalf
b. In place
d. On account
10. '______ send this document to my office by fax?' 'Certainly.'
a. Would you like b. Would you mind c. Could you d. Why not
1. What exactly is the influence of air pollution ______ human beings?
2. The campaign will hopefully ensure the survival ______ the tiger.
3. It is possible for local wildlife to coexist ______ industry.
4. The health of our children is being ______ by exhaust fumes.
b. endanger c. dangerous d. endangered
5. The society was set up to ______ endangered species from extinction.
b. distinguish c. preserve d. survive
6. If people stop destroying animal's natural habitat, more species will survive and produce ______.
c. landscape d. benefit
7. People in this region cultivate mainly rice and vegetables.
8. Among the problems facing the national park's manager, the most serious ones are those of ______ and
a. improvement b. reassessment c. distinction d. maintenance
9. Oil spills are having a devastating effect on coral reefs in the ocean.
b. significant c. disastrous d. detectable
10. The factory was fined for ______ chemicals into the river.
b. dumping c. producing d. exposing.
1. The government is thinking of bringing ...... a law to prohibit the killing of endangered animals.
2. In some countries environmental organizations have been ...... to inform people and gain their support.
A. made up
B. set up
C. brought up
D. taken up
3. We continue to ...... rainforests and increase the dangers of global warming.
A. cut off
B. cut in
C. cut out
D. cut down
4. In some countries there have been widespread demands for the ...... of seal hunting.
5. Some people have a more ...... attitude towards animals than they do towards children.
6. ...... aren't effective anymore because insects have become resistant to them.
B. Pesticides C. Herbicides
7. They started a campaign to ...... smoking among teenagers.
8. If we do not take steps to protect the world's wild life, many species of birds and animals are likely
to ...... completely.
A. die out B. die down
C. die away
D. die from
9. The Earth will be a planet where' human beings, animals and plants live in peaceful .......
10. Overharvesting brought North American alligators to ...... in their natural habitats.
A. nearly extinct B. near extinction C. extinct near D. extinction nearly
1. The amount of solar energy that reaches the earth depends ______ the atmosphere.
2. The natural environment consists ______ all natural resources.
3. Solar energy can be changed ______ electricity.
4. Oil, coal and natural gas are ______ fuels made from decayed material from animal or plants.
5. A nuclear reactor releases ______ which is dangerous to the environment.
d. carbon dioxide
6. We could make better ______ of our energy resources.
7. The government has spent £1 million on an advertising ______ to encourage energy conservation.
8. All fossil fuels are ______ resources that cannot be replaced after use.
b. renewable c. available d. non-renewable
9. Solar energy is not only plentiful and infinite but also clean and safe.
10. Many newer cars have a much lower fuel ______.
b. consumer c. consumation
1. He has ...... extensive research into renewable energy sources.
a. carried out
b. turned on
c. taken over
d. cared for
2. One danger is in ...... radioactive wastes which are produced during nuclear reactions.
a. consisting of
b. getting rid of
c. making use of
d. taking care of
3. We should develop such ...... sources of energy as solar energy and nuclear energy.
b. alternative c. revolutionary
4. There is now increasing concern about the world's energy ...... particularly about those involving fossil
5. It’s important for the developed countries to reduce energy ...... as much as possible.
6. The world’s coal ...... should last longer but, once used, these cannot be renewed.
7. ...... energy sources include water and wind power.
a. Friendly environmental
b. Environmentally friendly
c. Friendly environment
d. Environmental friendly
8. The ...... of these toxic substances into the environment is potentially devastating.
9. Increased consumption will lead to faster ...... of our natural resources.
c. exhaustion d. exhaustive
10. ...... is produced from the heat stored in the earth's core.
a. Geothermal energy
b. Nuclear energy
c. Solar energy
d. Water energy
1. The Vietnamese participants always take part ______ sports events with great enthusiasm.
2. The Asian Games have been advancing ______ all aspects.
3. New sports and traditional sports have been added ______ the Games.
4. In spite of all its ______, medical science knows little about the brain.
b. advances c. approaches d. advents
5. Football fans gathered around the TV in the comer of the club to see the final.
b. collected c. wandered d. reached
6. Recently the Asian Games has increased in ______.
c. popularity d. popularly
7. I'd rather go to the football field ______ being at home today.
a. instead of
b. because of c. inspite of d. due to
8. The World Cup is a football ______ which is open to all countries.
9. Scuba-diving and windsurfing are both aquatic sports.
10. Their efforts were much ______ when they won 2 gold, medals in bodybuilding and billiards.
1. They've _____ a horrible new tower block where that lovely old building used to be.
a. put up b. put down
c. pushed up
d. pulled down
2. I agree with most of what you said, but I can't _____ your idea of letting children leave school at 14.
a. keep up with b. catch up with
c. put up with
d. go along with
3. _____ test was given, our class leader managed to get good marks.
4. _____ volleyball players, footballers cannot use their hands in the game.
5. Our field _____ have performed very well.
c. specialists d. sportmen
6. We may win, we may lose - it's just the _____ of the draw.
7. The football match was so dull that most of the _____ left at half-time.
8. We live in an age of rapid scientific and technological _____.
9. Shortly after receiving her gold medal, the Olympic champion answered questions at the press _____.
c. conference d. seminar
10. This multi-sport event is an occasion when friendship and _____ are built and promoted.
1. My father never indulges _____ drinking.
2. I love watching the small fish swimming _____ in the tank.
a. through b. up
3. He wasn't able to cope _____ the stresses and strains of the job.
4. My friend Dave was really interested in my best stamp, so I _____ it away to him.
5. These ideas have now been completely discarded.
a. come up with
b. got rid of
c. put forward d. put into practice
6. This vase is quite rare and is almost a _____'s item.
b. collective c. collection d. collector
7. The singer was _____ on the piano by her sister.
b. performed c. accompanied d. helped
8. The most important thing is to keep yourself occupied.
9. My parents lent me the money. _____, I couldn't have afforded the trip.
a. Only if
b. Otherwise c. However d. Therefore
10. I don't know the title but I recognize the _____ of this song.
1. He built _____ his collection over a period of ten years.
2. My brother takes photograph _____ a hobby.
3. Any stamps that were common I gave _____ to my friends.
4. I keep stamps: However, I would not call myself an avid stamp collector.
5. There are some hobbies that I _____ in for a while besides reading and collecting.
6. My uncle, who is an accomplished guitarist, taught me how to play.
7. He is a great _____ of Picasso's early paintings.
8. I don't have much money, so I bought the camera _____.
9. Cycling and karate are among her hobbies.
c. amusement d. pastime
10. Some of his pictures are quite _____ now.
b. collection c. collective d. collectable
1. She plays tennis ______ recreation only.
2. I'm very fond ______ natural spectacular scenery.
3. We were all attracted ______ the beauty of nature there.
4. Watching television is by far the most popular ______.
b. occupation c. recreation d. passion
5. I am very ______ in the information you have given me.
c. depressed d. concerned
6. I like him ______ for his shyness.
a. by far
b. far better c. furthermore
d. all the better
7. He ______ us for hours with his stories and jokes.
b. entertained c. regarded d. raised
8. I've already had one holiday in Africa, and I'm not ______ on going there again.
9. We have bought extra food ______ our friends stay to dinner.
c. in case
d. as long as
10. Football, rugby and baseball are the most popular ______ sports in Britain.
1. Most children nowadays prefer watching TV ______ reading.
2. I hate camping because I can't ______ an umbrella tent in the wind and I can't make a fire in the rain.
a. put up
b. set off
c. take over
d. turn round
3. I'm not very ______ on going to a football match today.
b. enthusiastic c. happy
4. She would make an excellent lawyer - she's conscientious and has a ______ mind.
b. well-informed c. well-built d. well-intentioned
5. There has been an increase in the ______ of folk music over recent years.
b. popularity c. popularize
6. ______ applicants should send their completed forms to the personnel office.
b. Qualitative c. Qualifications
7. There is an enormous range of holiday courses on ______ in the summer.
8. Eating out is the national ______ in France.
9. When she was young she never had time to ______ her hobbies.
10. There is considerable ______ over the safety of the treatment, so it hasn't been applied yet.
1. Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon ______ 20 July 1969.
2. She is never satisfied ______ what she's got.
d. in .
3. In 1961 Yuri Gagarin lifted ______ into space aboard the Vostok 1.
4. After landing, the team members were greeted like ______ heroes.
a. conquer b. conquering
5. No one knew precisely what would happen to a human being in space.
a. exactly b. clearly
6. Neil Armstrong, an American ______, was the first man to step on the moon's surface.
a. scientist b. cosmonaut
7. The 27-year-old Soviet cosmonaut became the first person to eat and drink in ______.
c. weightless d. weightlessness
8. About 100 Russian satellites are the earth.
9. Many people are demonstrating to express their ______ with the new land law.
10. The astronauts were able to send the information back to the earth.
b. space stations
d. space shots
1. The Cosmonaut Training Center at Star City, Russia was named ______ him.
2. China became the third country in the, world to be able to independently carry ______ manned space
3. Yuri Gagarin is the first human to fly ______ space.
4. Man has witnessed a great many significant ______ of science and technology in the past few decades.
5. He was pulled off an extraordinary ______ in completing the voyage single-handedly.
6. Sputnik was the first ______ satellite made by the USSR.
a. manned b. natural
7. From his window in space, Gagarin had a view of the Earth that no human beings had done before.
8. The successful flight marked a milestone in China's space project.
9. His flight was in ______ around the Earth at the speed of more than 17,000 miles per hour.
10. The use of computer aids in teaching, ______ the role of teachers is still very important.
1. The structure consisted ______ approximately 2 million blocks of stone,
2. The Great Pyramid ranked ______ the tallest structure on earth for more than 43 centuries.
3. The purpose of the pyramid was to protect the burial chamber ______ the weather.
4. The Great Pyramid of Giza is one of the, famous man-made wonders of the world.
5. The Great Pyramid was only ______ in height in the nineteenth century AD.
b. promoted c. improved
6. There are rumors of buried ______ in that old house.
7. Each tower of the Ponagar Towers was ______ to a different god.
b. distributed c. delivered
8. The Great Wall is China's most popular ______.
b. attraction c. impression
9. A visit to the Great Wall will certainly bring tourists great ______ in each step of the wall.
c. excitement d. excited
10. The Great Wall of China is considered one of the greatest wonders in the world ______ its
magnificence and significance.
a. in spite of
c. instead of
d. thanks to
1. In 1987, the Great Wall was listed as a World Heritage _____ UNESCO.
2. We are all keen ______ taking a trip to the Great Wall of China.
3. We had to ______ the noise from the building site next door for three months.
a. give up
b. stand up to
c. put up with
d. look up to
4. Remember to take all your personal ______ from the overhead locker when you leave the airplane.
5. The structure ______ of approximately 2 million blocks of stone, each weighing about 2.5 tons.
c. contained d. combined
6. The Ponagar Cham Towers are located on Cu Lao Marble Hill, 2 km north of Nha Trang.
7. The family chose cremation rather than ______.
8. One theory involved the construction of a straight or spiral ramp that was raised as the construction
9. When it was built, the Great Pyramid was 147 meters high on a ______ of 230 meters square.
10. These suggestions are ______ to be accepted by the majority of members.
b. unlikely c. undoubtedly